Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting a really good camera so that I can take pictures of the trails and rides that I go on, and just for.... really anything?
Any suggestions or past expieriences with any of your cameras?
Digital,...whatever.
Just some suggestions.

Thanks!

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,336 Posts
Sony DCS-U40

Sony DCS-U40, AKA "Cybershot-U"

I've got the older, DCS-U20. Have had it for almost two years. No zoom or anything (so you do have to get close to your subject), but the simplicity, I think, makes it durable. There are almost no moving parts to damage. Also, being small, light and not too damn expensive don't hurt.

It's really durable. I keep it in a side hugging pocket on my camelbak. Last October I crashed hard on my right side, breaking my collar bone. The camera was also impacted in that inital blow, leaving a camera shaped bruse on me. The outer shell of the camera was dented but it still works 100%

As a bonus if you like to photograph small things you can take photos as close as about 6 inches from your subject. I like pretty flowers.

It's only 2 MP though, I wish it was 3.

The new Nikon Coolpix SQ looks pretty slick too:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/nikonsq.html

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have the canon digital elph 3.2 MP and it does a good job. The only thing that would make it better is a longer zoom. But i can deal without it. It has an all metal housing that can take some abuse. They also make a 4MP version but it has to much plastic on it for my liking. It also has the ability to shoot movies which makes it much easier to get a good action picture because when you get home you can pause th emovie and take a still from it.

Jason

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
geddy2112 said:
I am looking into getting a really good camera so that I can take pictures of the trails and rides that I go on,
Nikon D1x, a nice flash and a half dozen lenses.

·
Banned
656 Posts
I like the canon DSCP series

I have the DSCP8 which can take video and all for a good price, less than 400 i think.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Camera

I have a 2-year-old Canon G2, which is 4.0 mp digital that's heavy as a brick, and bulky too. It takes great photos. Here's what I've learned:

- Canon is an excellent brand for digital cameras.

- 4.0 resolution produces very sharp photos, but is overkill for snapshots. For taking snaps on the trail, 3.0 is plenty.

- It's important to have a 3X (or more) optical zoom lens.

If your camera is heavy and bulky you won't want to take it along or use it very often. Go light and compact, so that you can comfortably carry it in a pouch you sew on to your packstrap. That way you can pause, fish it out, take a snap, put it back and be on your way in seconds. For the purpose you are talking about, handiness is at least as important as photo quality.

One other thing - don't spend too much, or you'll worry about it all the time and have to handle it too carefully.

Tip: carry a small plastic bag with you. When it starts to rain, bag the camera inside the pouch. The pouch will still get wet, but the camera inside won't.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Rollin' On said:
I have a 2-year-old Canon G2, which is 4.0 mp digital that's heavy as a brick, and bulky too. It takes great photos. Here's what I've learned:

- Canon is an excellent brand for digital cameras.

- 4.0 resolution produces very sharp photos, but is overkill for snapshots. For taking snaps on the trail, 3.0 is plenty.

- It's important to have a 3X (or more) optical zoom lens.

If your camera is heavy and bulky you won't want to take it along or use it very often. Go light and compact, so that you can comfortably carry it in a pouch you sew on to your packstrap. That way you can pause, fish it out, take a snap, put it back and be on your way in seconds. For the purpose you are talking about, handiness is at least as important as photo quality.

One other thing - don't spend too much, or you'll worry about it all the time and have to handle it too carefully.

Tip: carry a small plastic bag with you. When it starts to rain, bag the camera inside the pouch. The pouch will still get wet, but the camera inside won't.
As far as waterproofing goes the Elph I have fits beautifully into the 2nd smallest pelican box. The only hting that sucks about any camera is taking it out to use it. That is why if it not raining Iput mine in teh case I have strapped to my camelback shoulder strap. Otherwise I might never even use tha damn thing.....:) One other thing to consider is buying a photo printer. WHen I bought my Elph last Christmas they had some crazy rebate of $200 if you bought a printer along with your camera. SO i went ahead and bought the HP photosmart7660 . That was the best thing I ever bought. It prints out pictures beautifully, acts as a card reader and I can use it like a regular printer. Now the next two models up are a little nicer because you don't have to swap cartridges to print black text documents and they have a LCD screen that lets you view the pic before you print. But the one I bought was the cheapest so I went with it. I think all in all with the rebate and the 256 memory card I spent a little over 500.......sorry to be so long winded

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
Rollin' On said:
If your camera is heavy and bulky you won't want to take it along or use it very often.
That's a really dumb assumption.

Perhaps that applies to the likes of you, but folks who are interested in taking photos, as oppossed to snapshots, do carry lots of camera gear on rides...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Minolta X-20 Extremely small

I've been using a Minolta Dimage X-20 (digital camera) for about 4 months. I LOVE this camera. It's the second smallest (at the time of purchase) digital camera with a zoom. It's also very light which was important to me. I'm pretty careful with it and 4 months isn't long enough to really long enough to know about durability, but no problems so far.

Some specs: 2mp, 3x optical zoom, 4x digital zoom. About the size of a deck of cards.

Did I mention it's small?Light?

Unique features: Very cool shutter options such as just holding the shutter button down and it takes individual photos as quick as it can :cool: . Another mode where you press the shutter button once and it takes 9 photo's in quick succession that are all placed on one page, very cool for jumping pics :cool: . Of course it's got video mode, but I never use it.

What I reallly like is, with fresh batteries, the camera is ready to take photos in 1.5 - 2 seconds. I've gotten some great shots because of this quick startup time. Batteries are normal "AA" whereas many cameras have their own unique rechargable's you can't just find anywhere. Photos look great on my computer, very happy about that even though 2mp resolution had me worried. The best part is it's so small and light you can take it everywhere with you, at least I do. Oh yeah, I got it at "Target" for $160. However, you'll probably want to get another memory card (SD type) since the one it comes with (8mb) doesn't hold many pictures. Hope this helps. Did I mention how small it is?

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,336 Posts
who's making assumptions?

Pete said:
That's a really dumb assumption.

Perhaps that applies to the likes of you, but folks who are interested in taking photos, as oppossed to snapshots, do carry lots of camera gear on rides...
Uh, Pete, I think he <i>is</i> talking about taking snapshots on rides. In addition to the Sony "Cybershot U" I have a Nikon D70. No way in hell am I going to take $1500 in camera and lens (not to mention two more lenses and additional equipment worth $700) on a ride with me. Too much to loose if I crash. Even if it was only a $15 camera, I wouldn't take a bulky SLR with me on a ride, because they're big, heavy, cumbersome and difficult to secure.

Then again, I do go out and do photography and ride my bike to get there. It's not a ride, it's photography time. The bike is there purely for transportation.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,336 Posts
who needs waterproof?

VaNRS2 said:
As far as waterproofing goes
[snip]

I can't speak for other camera owners, but I really don't think the whole waterproofing thing is so critical. My little Sony U20 has been through light to moderate rain and has been carried on my side for countless miles of profuse sweating and suffers no ill effects.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Canon.

Digital Elph S320, S400, or SD110.

If you want manual controls (+ a little bulk) a Powershot A60, A70, A75, or A80.

The Powershot A-series is really one of the few PnS Digital Cameras in it's price range with a decent amount of manual controls.

·
Banned
2,227 Posts
FishMan473 said:
Uh, Pete, I think he is talking about taking snapshots on rides. In addition to the Sony "Cybershot U" I have a Nikon D70. No way in hell am I going to take $1500 in camera and lens (not to mention two more lenses and additional equipment worth $700) on a ride with me. Too much to loose if I crash. Even if it was only a $15 camera, I wouldn't take a bulky SLR with me on a ride, because they're big, heavy, cumbersome and difficult to secure.
Nah, they aren't that difficult to secure.

Apparently "bulky" is in the eye of the beholder (or rider).

Evidently some folks can't handle carrying an extra 10-15 pounds in their packs on rides.

Oh well.

·
Registered
205 Posts
geddy2112 said:
I am looking into getting a really good camera so that I can take pictures of the trails and rides that I go on, and just for.... really anything?
Any suggestions or past expieriences with any of your cameras?
Digital,...whatever.
Just some suggestions.

Thanks!
I'm really digging my new Sony DSW-W1.
Under $400 at J&R. It's 5 megapixels and has a HUGE LCD screen. With available accesory lenses, it seems like the first real competition for the digital Elphs.
I'm really happy with it so far.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mackie said:
I'm really digging my new Sony DSW-W1.
Under $400 at J&R. It's 5 megapixels and has a HUGE LCD screen. With available accesory lenses, it seems like the first real competition for the digital Elphs.
I'm really happy with it so far.
Ditto on the Sony DSC-W1. My friend just picked one up and it is the shizzz. Carl Ziess lens, excellent HUGE LCD screen, and very fast power-on times (the camera is almost instantly ready to take pictures as soon as you turn it on). Linky->
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...dcc_DIDigitalCameras_Cyber-shotDigitalCameras
FWIW, I have the Sony DSC-P8 which is great. It is very compact, takes great pics, and I picked it up off ebay for $240 in a factory sealed box. I'm sure you can get it for even cheaper now days...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Canon S400 or S500

I have the Canon Powershot S400, very small, 4 MP. It works great and seems pretty durable. The S500 is 5MP in the same size case.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just picked up the Pentax Optio s40

It's 4.0 megapixels, metal body and about the size of an altoids box. It comes with 11Mb memory on board and a SD slot for more memory.
Pretty easy to use too, can't wait to take it out on a ride.
Bought it at Fry's for $299

1 - 20 of 23 Posts