Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MC Hammer
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm contemplating purchasing a used one and I'd like some feedback from current or previous owners, the good the bad and anything else you can give me-thanks

Also a general Trek question on repainting frames, the Trek site say they only do it through an authorized dealer so I called a shop around here and was quoted an estimate of $350-400??? seems a bit high to me, has anyone ever sent their frame back for repainting? how much and what was the turnaround time? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
112 Posts
XC Dawg said:
I'm contemplating purchasing a used one and I'd like some feedback from current or previous owners, the good the bad and anything else you can give me-thanks

Also a general Trek question on repainting frames, the Trek site say they only do it through an authorized dealer so I called a shop around here and was quoted an estimate of $350-400??? seems a bit high to me, has anyone ever sent their frame back for repainting? how much and what was the turnaround time? Thanks in advance
Trek's MSRP for a repaint is 357$. Repainting a carbon frame is not a simple process, so there is a reason it costs as much as it does. I think it takes about 10 business days for the frame to go through paint process. Once shipping is calculated in, it takes about 3 weeks or so. Since you are buying a used bike, you won't have any sort of warranty, so from that perspective, it doesn't matter who repaints it. The major drawback is the rear shock. They are no longer available, so if the shock dies you are out of luck. I hope this info helps.

G

·
I demo'd one once....

XC Dawg said:

Took it for several rides as I had to rent it over the weekend in order to demo; I guess I mabye put in 25 miles on it. I can't remember the exact model, but it did have the orange Judy XC on it.

Anyhow, thrashed it pretty hard on my usually trails, which were mostly flowy sagebrush singletrack, hardtail-friendly stuff for the most part. To be honest, the softail took away some of the small hits from small surface-level embedded rocks and things like that, but didn't feel any real aid (or detriment) in climbing and lots of climbing I did. One thing I did not like about the bike was it's long front-center, made it slow-handling in twisty stuff, slow speed. High speed downhills it was fairly stable, however, coming down one ridgeback a squall started blowing and I had a decent cross-wind. Seemed like the frame got tossed around a bit more in that crosswind than normal round-tubed bikes I had experience similar conditions in before had be affected.

Bottom line: if you're going to be using it mostly for cross country racing I'd say it would make a good bike for that. As for the rear shock, I bet there are guys with parts laying around, like Hippie Tech Suspension in Boise for instance.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
42 Posts
SingleTrackSal said:
High speed downhills it was fairly stable, however, coming down one ridgeback a squall started blowing and I had a decent cross-wind. Seemed like the frame got tossed around a bit more in that crosswind than normal round-tubed bikes I had experience similar conditions in before had be affected.

!
you can seriously feel the difference between round tubes and almost round tubes in a crosswind on a mountain bike? wow.

G

·
cashtar said:
you can seriously feel the difference between round tubes and almost round tubes in a crosswind on a mountain bike? wow.
Yes. I'm terribly perceptive. All kidding aside, I had been down that same ridge many times in cross winds on my old steel hardtail and could notice a difference between the two frames...

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
If you are still looking, I own a STP 400 (pretty much the same) and here is my synopsis. The frame is very flexy, however, you can use this to your advantage. It does turn long but I got used to it. It is very light and climbs loose steep like a billy goat. It eats way less than a billy goat and will let you ride it. The frame is super durable. No one I have found (even Hippie Tech) has parts for the shock. When it finally goes, I am gonna lock up the rear shock somehow and build me a sick ass light single speed! I love this bike. It is a great race bike, an okay trail bike if you are not a jumper and not looking for a pluch ride. Good Luck

·
Fat Boy
50 Posts
I too have a stp 400. Its just a frame sat in my garage at the moment though. I found it quite comfortable but it has a very racey position. I also ran a use suspension seatpost on it after a while and loved the ride. Between the shock and the seat post it eat up most of what I wanted it to do.
Couldn't comment on the crosswind problems though as I am quite a big lad anyway and I work more as a sail than a bike ever does. What colour scheme was you thinking about? I was thinking of getting mine repainted in the new team red colours. But thinking was as far as I had got. Sending it back to trek isn't much good to me as i live in the UK. So might have to look around here to see who can do what and at what price.
The only reason its a frame at the moment is I bought an intense tracer frame (It is a little less stretched out) and swapped the parts over. I am just waiting for some forks to come and it will be rebuilt as a singlespeed. I'll post pictures once its done.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I got back into moutain biking last year after about a 5 year affair on the road, and since then I've been chasing an STP frame. I've had a couple slip through my hands on ebay but I'm still looking. The point of this is, if I've done my research correctly, I think DT Swiss and Cane Creek make rear shocks that will fit the STP frame if the original SID goes bad. You might want to double check me on this, if it is true, there is no reason to steer away from one of these frames.

·
Registered
339 Posts
XC Dawg said:
Please tell me more, what models by DT Swiss and Cane Creek
On Cane Creek's web page there is a frame compatability list for their rear shocks. It can be found here: http://www.canecreek.com/fitment0.html

According to the list, the Trek STP frame works with their AD-5 shock.
http://www.canecreek.com/ad-5.html IMO, not as good as the original SID the bike came with because compression and rebound damping are not externally adjustable, but if it gives the bike a few more years of life, I'd take it.

As for DTSwiss, they don't give as much info on their web page but I'm sure a quick email to them would answer the question. Their shocks can be found here:
http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=rshocks.bike

Hope this helps!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.