Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Padre said:
My buddy StinkyOne from the dh board recently got an Azonic Steelhead that he's running SS style due to no money for gears.
He's doing okaaaay w/ it...
Its the only way to jump or do urban imo. Ill be testing it out at Whistler starting tomorrow so Ill let you know just how good the SS is on big stuff.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I just picked up 4X, first time in my life a few months ago. Built up an 18" (I'm tall) Banshee Morphine, of course, as a SS. My 4th SS in a row after 3 Surly's (KM, Pacer, CrossCheck). Now running it 38-16, but that's a bit long for our local track, with a long double directly after the start podium, and a few tight hips. Looking for a good 34t 4-arm to put on my Saint crank, so I don't have to figure out a working rear wheel position all over again. Sad though, the 38-16 and fully extended Thomson post are great for rolling the 11 miles to the 4X track, 34-1 will be less of a joy I'm affraid. I really like 4X, will have to try it on some BMX tracks soon, too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's what got me started with SS ...

I bought a Trek Bruiser One to take to the local BMX track with my kids. Only did it 1 or 2 times before I realised the gears would have to go. That's also where my nick comes from - 38x18 might be a bit tall for normal SS, but for dirt-jump/BMX it is perfect, and it fits my chainstay length!

Since then I have converted an old department store MTB to SS as a beater and my road bikes to fixed!

Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey just broke my RM7 for the third time and now have a Brooklyn Park bike set up with SS 22/18 by far the best thing for eastern freeride. No mis shifts no chain suck plus i can run a kink extra thick BMX chain $18.00 and it is three times stronger than an 8 speed chain. I love the single life simple easy and effective

·
Registered
19 Posts
yeah i run single on my jump/city/slalom bike.
i love the quietness of it on jumps and skate parks.
i run 42/18 which is good for also commuting around here in Adelaide.
Now i just need to change the rear hub to bolt up to stop it moving around.

·
DaBomb Molotov rider
347 Posts
38eighteen said:
I bought a Trek Bruiser One to take to the local BMX track with my kids. Only did it 1 or 2 times before I realised the gears would have to go. That's also where my nick comes from - 38x18 might be a bit tall for normal SS, but for dirt-jump/BMX it is perfect, and it fits my chainstay length!
Bike looks cool. Does it have a MZ Comp 130mm fork, which I think comes stock with the Bruiser? How does the fork handle jumping and urban?

·
Manual4ever
151 Posts
have a basic Devinci xc bike SS'd and i jump/urban/trials ride it. It suprisingly strong!

Here's a question i have about the ENO, Willl it rotate at all on hard landings?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts