Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I have a hardtail 29er with a 100mm fork, and while I do ride on rough terrain where many people prefer 6" bikes I still would not claim my bike is "all mountain"; just as I wouldn't call it a DH bike if i ride on a DH trail or a road bike even if i put slicks on it. Anyway, there is a whole forum devoted to that ongoing argument.

If I had to go back to a 26" SS, I would want something more aggressive myself. I'm too used to the way a 29er front feels more capable and confident. An SS hardtail with a 130mm fork and medium-slack angles would be pretty sweet. I do hope some people post some good pictures like that.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
rockcrusher said:
lenz milk money all others are moot.
Pfft.

PutAwayWet said:
I ride this all over the mountain, wherever the fellas with lots of suspension go. I guess that makes it all mountain, right?
:thumbsup:

7daysaweek said:
Define all mountain... I've never really understood the difference between all mountain and just good hard xc.

Anyways, I've chased guys down hills on long travel bikes on this
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
w00t! said:
"All Mountain" is how/where you ride, not what you ride.
I have no problem with using the term like that. It implies attitude, guts, and skill. I feel pretty damn all mountain myself.

...but that wasn't the context of the OP's question because he is talking about bikes not riders. You have to realize that it is also a technical and descriptive term for a category of bike. The OP didn't start a thread to ask who here feels "all mountain" enough, he wanted to see a certain kind of bike; burlier ones with more suspension (at least a 5-6" fork is usual for an AM bike), slacker angles, whatever. Riding your rigid bike down a DH trail doesn't make it a DH bike either, just like riding a Nomad on XC trails doesn't make it an XC bike.

I am only feeling so pedantic right now because I too wanted to see a thread of burly SS bikes

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
boomn said:
I have no problem with using the term like that. It implies attitude, guts, and skill. I feel pretty damn all mountain myself.

...but that wasn't the context of the OP's question because he is talking about bikes not riders. You have to realize that it is also a technical and descriptive term for a category of bike. The OP didn't start a thread to ask who here feels "all mountain" enough, he wanted to see a certain kind of bike; burlier ones with more suspension (at least a 5-6" fork is usual for an AM bike), slacker angles, whatever. Riding your rigid bike down a DH trail doesn't make it a DH bike either, just like riding a Nomad on XC trails doesn't make it an XC bike.

I am only feeling so pedantic right now because I too wanted to see a thread of burly SS bikes
really it's just a marketing term, but I'll take it

·
organically fed
1,175 Posts
boomn said:

I agree. I was just keepin' it real in the bigger picture too. I think anyone who rides (more than once) where we ride can claim the "AM" title, but yeah, for purposes of discussion on bicycle types, yer right.

And if not for the current economic depression, I'd surely be rockin' a Nomad which would go back and forth between SS and 1x9. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
w00t! said:
I agree. I was just keepin' it real in the bigger picture too. I think anyone who rides (more than once) where we ride can claim the "AM" title, but yeah, for purposes of discussion on bicycle types, yer right.

And if not for the current economic depression, I'd surely be rockin' a Nomad which would go back and forth between SS and 1x9. :thumbsup:
That would be a pretty sweet bike, Sir "All Mountain" woot!

I almost gave up in complete and utter frustration when I started to learn real mountain biking in Bidwell. Now I have ascended to the ranks of "All Mountain" hotness

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I cannot call it All Mountain because there's no mountains anywhere near me... But I do have a pretty tough SS trailbike and one guy broke a Cannondale Rush frame when following me a few months ago....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.