Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
what a joke
Joined
·
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am guessing I will be the only 29er SS in the Hunter area. Should be a few in Sydney and other areas. Anyone else doing it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
ozlongboarder said:
I am guessing I will be the only 29er SS in the Hunter area. Should be a few in Sydney and other areas. Anyone else doing it?
not i....

welcome....

could someone please enlighten me on the benefits of 29inch rims/tyres?
 

·
Gone riding
Joined
·
3,350 Posts
Not sure about 29'rs, but I'm sure there are a few Aussie SS'rs about on the boards. I'm a wannabe SS'r myself... just haven't got around to building anything up yet. Would like to have a bit of a "play" bike again.....small frame, fully rigid, big tires.........good fun!! :D

I am guessing I will be the only 29er SS in the Hunter area
What are you getting / thinking of getting??

Cheers, Dave.
 

·
what a joke
Joined
·
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Low_Rider said:
Not sure about 29'rs, but I'm sure there are a few Aussie SS'rs about on the boards. I'm a wannabe SS'r myself... just haven't got around to building anything up yet. Would like to have a bit of a "play" bike again.....small frame, fully rigid, big tires.........good fun!! :D

What are you getting / thinking of getting??

Cheers, Dave.
I allready have it! A Surly Karate Monkey 29er SS. It is an absolute blast to ride. I have been
ss'ing for 3-4 months now and really like it. Same with the 29er thing,if your a tall guy (I'm 6'5") it just feels right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
ss'er from Brisbane

I've been riding ss only for about 4 months now and can't say I'm really missing gears anymore. I'm keen to have a go at the 29er. Did you get your KM in Oz, or did you purchase it from os?
 

·
what a joke
Joined
·
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Local shop but

NoWay Ray said:
I've been riding ss only for about 4 months now and can't say I'm really missing gears anymore. I'm keen to have a go at the 29er. Did you get your KM in Oz, or did you purchase it from os?
I am living in the US, moving home at the end of the year. I got the KM from a LBS. It is an absolute blast to ride. Have a look at the 29er board FAQ section. There is some good info in there. I have only been on it for a few months but I will try to answer any questions if I can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Thanks, I'm a constant lurker on the 29er board. The reason I asked where you got your KM is because the local importers of Surly, only list the 1x1 and Instigator, in their catalogue. It seems the only readily available 29ers in Oz are Gary Fishers, I would recommend you bring a few spare tyres and tubes back with you too. There not too common over here, not something you'd just pop into your lbs and have a choice of...
 

·
AussieLostInNyc
Joined
·
650 Posts
Where in the states?

ozlongboarder said:
I am living in the US, moving home at the end of the year. I got the KM from a LBS. It is an absolute blast to ride. Have a look at the 29er board FAQ section. There is some good info in there. I have only been on it for a few months but I will try to answer any questions if I can.
I got here in Jan and just got my KM. I am already thinking about shipping a bunch of stuff back to Sydney when and if I move. Sounds hard to locate stuff back home huh

Gumby
 

·
what a joke
Joined
·
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gumby-Minneapolis Minnesota, up north in the midwest. We have started stocking up on stuff to go into our container from bike stuff to kids toys to furniture.

NoWay Ray- I think your right on bringing extras home for the 29er. When I was in Sydney a few months back nobody had a 29er in stock and some shops did not even know about them. Whats does a 1x1 frame cost in AUD?

cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
Recommended Retail

RRP for the 1x1 in Oz is$669AU, I've currently got one on layby for myself. Here in Brisbane, there's only one shop that has had anything to do with 29ers, so you could say it's not widely popular. Hopefully if Giant start selling 29ers, that may start to change here.
 

·
what a joke
Joined
·
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
NoWay Ray said:
RRP for the 1x1 in Oz is$669AU, I've currently got one on layby for myself. Here in Brisbane, there's only one shop that has had anything to do with 29ers, so you could say it's not widely popular. Hopefully if Giant start selling 29ers, that may start to change here.
Thats not a bad price considering the exchange rate, they are around 350ish USD here. If your a tall guy I would seriously consider the Monkey. Tires and rims are the only real difference to a 26" bike (26 tubes will fit) in term of parts required. I have heard nothing over here about Giant selling 29ers, are they planning on selling them in Oz?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
I am tall at 6' 4" and definitely considering a 29er in my future. I know a lot of members on the 29er board are happy with Velocity rims, which, being made here in Brisbane, is a no brainer. Tyres are really the only hassle in the equation.

Rumour strongly suggests Giant are working on a 29er bike, nothing has been confirmed yet though, whether or not it will see the market in Oz is a another thing altogether, Giant only brought in 5 NRS Air's for the Oz market in 2004.
 

·
AussieLostInNyc
Joined
·
650 Posts
A bit far to hook up for a ride!

ozlongboarder said:
Gumby-Minneapolis Minnesota, up north in the midwest. We have started stocking up on stuff to go into our container from bike stuff to kids toys to furniture.

Good luck with shipping we did the same. You know you won't see the bike for 6-7 weeks!
Some airlines allow a piece of sporting equipment free of charge. It's an idea?
If you were like us though when we came over we had the rest of our lives in
our bags plus the two kids, I couldn't have carried another thing.
Where do you plan ridding that KM back home?

Gumby
 

·
what a joke
Joined
·
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NoWay Ray said:
I am tall at 6' 4" and definitely considering a 29er in my future. I know a lot of members on the 29er board are happy with Velocity rims, which, being made here in Brisbane, is a no brainer. Tyres are really the only hassle in the equation.

Rumour strongly suggests Giant are working on a 29er bike, nothing has been confirmed yet though, whether or not it will see the market in Oz is a another thing altogether, Giant only brought in 5 NRS Air's for the Oz market in 2004.
I am 6'5" and I know 3 guys all over 6" who are on 29ers. One guy had a 1x1 that he snapped and surly waranteed him a monkey for $20. Dont worry about tires, just get them sent from the USA untill Oz shops start stocking them. Sounds like I wouldn't count on Giant either.
 

·
what a joke
Joined
·
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
gumby said:
ozlongboarder said:
Gumby-Minneapolis Minnesota, up north in the midwest. We have started stocking up on stuff to go into our container from bike stuff to kids toys to furniture.

Good luck with shipping we did the same. You know you won't see the bike for 6-7 weeks!
Some airlines allow a piece of sporting equipment free of charge. It's an idea?
If you were like us though when we came over we had the rest of our lives in
our bags plus the two kids, I couldn't have carried another thing.
Where do you plan ridding that KM back home?

Gumby
A friend of ours just shipped 2 big containers back and they were told 8-10 weeks as Oz customs are now inspecting everything. US airlines charge for bikes on planes but Qantas does not for the international trip. My dilema now is to decide which bike goes in the container and which one comes on the plane with me.

I will mostly be riding in the Newcastle area but will also ride anywhere within an hour or two's drive. My wifes family is from the Blue Mountains so I will be riding there as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
ozlongboarder said:
I am 6'5" and I know 3 guys all over 6" who are on 29ers. One guy had a 1x1 that he snapped and surly waranteed him a monkey for $20. Dont worry about tires, just get them sent from the USA untill Oz shops start stocking them. Sounds like I wouldn't count on Giant either.
That was the idea, I've got a mate nearby, who has family in California, that are willing to buy us parts and send them over as gifts, reducing the import duties we'd have to pay. I'm almost now thinking of selling the 1x1 frame and getting the KM instead, it sounds like it will suit my riding style just right. Or I could just end up getting 2 new bikes and be really poor :confused:
 

·
AussieLostInNyc
Joined
·
650 Posts
That's Easy!

ozlongboarder said:
My dilema now is to decide which bike goes in the container and which one comes on the plane with me.
You should take that big beautiful KM on the plane and turn heads back home :D
I used to ride blue mountains a lot and to the south of Syd.
Did a few trips around Gosford but that is as far north with the bike.
Perhaps you should fill the container with close out stuff for 29'ers and on sell back home.:cool:
Enjoy the ridding back in Oz,

Gumby
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
gumby said:
You should take that big beautiful KM on the plane and turn heads back home :D
I used to ride blue mountains a lot and to the south of Syd.
Did a few trips around Gosford but that is as far north with the bike.
Perhaps you should fill the container with close out stuff for 29'ers and on sell back home.:cool:
Enjoy the ridding back in Oz,

Gumby
Hmm I could probably hold out till the end of the year for a 29er :D
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top