Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am building up a SS and am wondering what gear combo to use, It gonna be mostly a riverside bike so I was thinkin about like 32/18 or maybe 32/20....does that sound okay. What are you all running???

Thanks
 

·
ride your bike
Joined
·
9,447 Posts
Guital2 said:
Well I am building up a SS and am wondering what gear combo to use, It gonna be mostly a riverside bike so I was thinkin about like 32/18 or maybe 32/20....does that sound okay. What are you all running???

Thanks
I'm running 34/17 and it suits me perfectly. If you go any taller you may find yourself walking a lot of the steep hills. Running 2:1 there's not much I can't climb: 5 minute, Devil's up, the road to pine bluff are definitely doable....etc. But for the flats it's spin spin spin. Riverside is the perfect SS spot....especially little vietnam. 2:1 is the Jedi ratio for that area! Have fun!
 

·
Let the cowbell ring
Joined
·
83 Posts
I'm running a 29er using a 34x19 most of the time. similar to 2to1 on a 26" bike. Works well.
jubilee said:
I'm running 34/17 and it suits me perfectly. If you go any taller you may find yourself walking a lot of the steep hills. Running 2:1 there's not much I can't climb: 5 minute, Devil's up, the road to pine bluff are definitely doable....etc. But for the flats it's spin spin spin. Riverside is the perfect SS spot....especially little vietnam. 2:1 is the Jedi ratio for that area! Have fun!
 

·
ride your bike
Joined
·
9,447 Posts
formica said:
you don't' like beacon anyhow. :p
Someone's cut in a new switch back trail, facing east under the utility lines.

formica
Yeah, well saturday may have changed my mind! I'm looking forward to heading up there sometime to check out the new DH/FR type stuff I saw....
 

·
Only dead people are old
Joined
·
712 Posts
jubilee said:
27 speed, full suss. Preferably 5 or more inches of travel.
:p

Sorry to be a smart azz. I usually avoid SS at beacon...
yeah, yeah...full-sussy gearie is how I would prefer to ride Beacon also, but I am looking at maybe pushing my SS at the Beacon Bomber race in June and was wondering what kind of gearing it would take. It's hard for me to judge it when I live 2-hours south in the armpit of hell. Any experience would be helpful.
 

·
ride your bike
Joined
·
9,447 Posts
Super E said:
yeah, yeah...full-sussy gearie is how I would prefer to ride Beacon also, but I am looking at maybe pushing my SS at the Beacon Bomber race in June and was wondering what kind of gearing it would take. It's hard for me to judge it when I live 2-hours south in the armpit of hell. Any experience would be helpful.
I've only ridden beacon with a 2:1 ratio and it was too tall for me. Hopefully someone can chime in here....
 

·
Let the cowbell ring
Joined
·
83 Posts
Super E said:
What 29er you are you riding?
I'm running a Soulcraft with a Marzocchi up front and Chris King wheels. All good. and of course the cowbell on the back. So where is this Beacon at. I'm new to Washington and am in Moses Lake. I need to find some trails within an hour or two to ride on.
 

·
Don't worry, be happy!
Joined
·
8,141 Posts
Beacon... lots of trails, a lot of "up" easiest way is take Argonne exit, go north to upriver drive, go about 1.25 miles, park in lot cross the road and ride around.:D It's better if someone can show you the ways.

Alternative B is to start at the esmerelda trail... Take thor/market N to euclid, r on euclid, left on freya rt on courtland, trail goes up from the parking lot. Look for singletrack off the the right about 50 yards up the fireroad.

if you go on a weekend just follow the other riders.

formica

soon, the club web site will have trail info but it's not up yet.

www.fttrc.org
 

·
Let the cowbell ring
Joined
·
83 Posts
formica said:
Beacon... lots of trails, a lot of "up" easiest way is take Argonne exit, go north to upriver drive, go about 1.25 miles, park in lot cross the road and ride around.:D It's better if someone can show you the ways.

Alternative B is to start at the esmerelda trail... Take thor/market N to euclid, r on euclid, left on freya rt on courtland, trail goes up from the parking lot. Look for singletrack off the the right about 50 yards up the fireroad.

if you go on a weekend just follow the other riders.

formica

soon, the club web site will have trail info but it's not up yet.

www.fttrc.org
thanks for the info on how to get there. Hopefully this Sunday if all goes well
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top