Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went by the local S.D. Ventana "dealer" to check out an X-5 and the guy didn't even know what I was talking about. I got a blank stare and, "Uh, is that a mountain bike?" Is there a shop within 100 miles or so of SD that carries bikes in stock? Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Motorep said:
I went by the local S.D. Ventana "dealer" to check out an X-5 and the guy didn't even know what I was talking about. I got a blank stare and, "Uh, is that a mountain bike?" Is there a shop within 100 miles or so of SD that carries bikes in stock? Thanks,

Kevin
What size are you looking for?

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Call Ventana and ask if they know of any stocking dealers who keep a frame or two in stock or at least order Ventanas somewhat frequently. It's funny when a bike shop doesn't know what a Yeti or Ventana or Turner is. We have a couple of those old-fangled shops here. They deal in Raleigh and Felt and think those are the ultimate machines:lol:

I think the Felt shop closed down so the Raleigh guy is holding out for now with his $20 per tire change rate and some old Fogies that keep paying that- probably what keeps it going and may they keep going there.

Just call Ventana.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
The Path

I think the Path in Tustin has a couple. I was in there the other day and saw a handfull of Vantanas. Tustin should meet your 100 mile criteria.
Good Luck!
TG

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
drumstix said:
What size are you looking for?
I'm actually looking for a small or medium built out. I'm concerned about TT length mainly. I'll keep searching.

Kevin

·
Registered
319 Posts
Off subject ...

Flyer said:
... It's funny when a bike shop doesn't know what a Yeti or Ventana or Turner is. We have a couple of those old-fangled shops here. They deal in Raleigh and Felt and think those are the ultimate machines:lol:
Off subject but I've had the same experience, took the frame in to have the CK installed properly (I don't have the right tool) and the guy (owner) had never heard of Chris King Headsets ... let alone Ventana.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Hey Kevin, I can appreciate wanting to keep it local....but personally, I would talk with Sherwood, make sure you have the right size nailed, and work through one of the experts around who REALLY know Ventana (ie, Larry Mettler at mtnhighcyclery, Chad at redbarnbicycles, or charles at hammerheadbikes.com).....and frankly, it will be a better way to go by a mile for many reasons.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Listen when the Fo speaks- he speaks the truth and his words are gilded.

I got mine through Larry at mtnhighcyclery. I also talked to Sherwood as well and am VERY glad I did. He really helped me out. Larry is an excellent Ventana dealer as is Chad. We are lucky to have these two guys to buy from instead of the big shops, in my very opinionated opinion.

Even if I had a local dealer here, I would end up buying from Larry or Chad. Their dedication to the few brands they sell and level of helpfulness to their customers, is impressive.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you want to keep it local, do as the Fo' man says:

Do the Fo'Shizzle dance:
(warning!! Bad 80's reference) Its like the Safety Dance "You can dance if you want to..."

Step 1 Talk to Sherwood, and nail the sizing down
Step 2 Have your local LBS call Teresa at Ventana and become a dealer
Step 3 Enjoy your bike

That's what I did, but if you have concerns, or want to see a frame or test ride one, then you should probably spend the time getting to an established dealer.

Good Luck

Marc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts