Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:p Thread title says it... Looking to buy one lightly used; it's a great deal, but it's a small. I'm 5'3", which can be XS or S according to Niner...

Anyone have experience on this bike?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have a friend who got an XS Jet 9 and has been on the podium in several races since. She is very happy with the bike. She is somewhere in your size range, about 5'2" or 5'3". I ride a Small Rip 9 and I am 5'7". I love my bike, too.

Sounds like a test ride would be in order before purchasing. I suspect you'd be better off on an XS, but you never know.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, test ride will definitely happen, if only around the neighborhood.

Just realized that the XS can't fit a water bottle in the front triangle, unfortunately, so that's tipping the scales in favor of the S. Reading quite a few reviews from women my size on smalls who prefer that size to the XS. (And yeah, slowly finding threads on this exact question on MTBR... I swear I searched before posting! :lol:)

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
I have a Jet 9 RDO and like it quite a bit. The lack of water bottle is a bummer but I either stash one in my feed sack on the handlebars or just wear a camelback. I am 5 2 and I have an XS.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
Lots of bottle-mount options exist thanks to the time trial bike market.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lots of bottle-mount options exist thanks to the time trial bike market.
Yeah, I've looked into them all and they generally come up short for my needs for one reason or another.

However--a little careful research and I've found it's possible to fit the bottle cage in there. Chloe Woodruff rides an XS and zip tied one in for the Whiskey Off-Road. Pic from the Fat Tire Crit: https://www.facebook.com/woodruffchloe/photos/pcb.837215626351958/837213703018817/?type=1

I guess if it's good enough for her, it's good enough for me. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am 5'2" and have been riding a Small Jet 9. When I got mine they didn't over it in XS, and now I am about to upgrade to an RDO and have been trying to decide if XS is a good move. The issue with me is that if I put my inseam length in any sites that tell you what size you should ride, it comes out with a medium size, lol. So it is about more than just your height obviously.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am 5'2" and have been riding a Small Jet 9. When I got mine they didn't over it in XS, and now I am about to upgrade to an RDO and have been trying to decide if XS is a good move. The issue with me is that if I put my inseam length in any sites that tell you what size you should ride, it comes out with a medium size, lol. So it is about more than just your height obviously.
Oh, yeah, absolutely! I had a friend who tried a medium Jet 9 based on her height and it was just a disastrous fit, because she's all legs, and was sooo stretched out she couldn't handle the bike.

Based on geometry, though, and other, similar bikes I've ridden, I think I'd be fine on a small... Hrmmm...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Oh, yeah, absolutely! I had a friend who tried a medium Jet 9 based on her height and it was just a disastrous fit, because she's all legs, and was sooo stretched out she couldn't handle the bike.

Based on geometry, though, and other, similar bikes I've ridden, I think I'd be fine on a small... Hrmmm...
I'm pretty sure I am going to stick with a small

1 - 10 of 10 Posts