Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
shook_dh said:
diablo is closed so im wondering are there any trails that can be shuttletd around the nyc area?
You could LIRR out to Bethpage, ride 1 mile to Bethpage State Park - entrance on Powelll Ave., do some of the trails there, then ride the Greenbelt north thru Trailveiw State Park to Stilwell Woods County Preserve (On So. Woods Rd. Syosset), which has a 4.5 mile loop, then 1.5 miles on road to the Syoset LIRR. via Syossett-Cold Spring Harbor Rd. Easily 20 miles of riding

You'd need a LIRR bike pass ($5), which cannot be used on Peak trains. You can get one of these at Penn. Station.

SB

·
Registered
437 Posts
Lighting Guy said:
You could LIRR out to Bethpage, ride 1 mile to Bethpage State Park - entrance on Powelll Ave., do some of the trails there, then ride the Greenbelt north thru Trailveiw State Park to Stilwell Woods County Preserve (On So. Woods Rd. Syosset), which has a 4.5 mile loop, then 1.5 miles on road to the Syoset LIRR. via Syossett-Cold Spring Harbor Rd. Easily 20 miles of riding
Pretty sure he meant shuttled riding as in "Ride down mountain, take shuttle back up."

I don't think there's anything going on right now. The trails are all **** from rain/ice/snowmelt. Depending on what kind of winter we have, you might want to check out Skyline in the early spring.

·
Registered
52 Posts
EtE said:
Pretty sure he meant shuttled riding as in "Ride down mountain, take shuttle back up."

I don't think there's anything going on right now. The trails are all **** from rain/ice/snowmelt. Depending on what kind of winter we have, you might want to check out Skyline in the early spring.
\

Yeah, figured as much, but outside the Catskills where else in the NYC area has bottom to top shuttles ?

I also gotta' say that I reply'd with LI directions half in jest as I never quite got the whole bottom to top shuttle thing. It's done up in Vermont and I also saw it at Sandia Crest in NM, but always wondered why.

I LIKE climbing, thus never understood the attraction, outside of families thinking about getting into the sport. Then again, I'm a x-country skiier as well.....

SB

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Lighting Guy said:
\

Yeah, figured as much, but outside the Catskills where else in the NYC area has bottom to top shuttles ?

I also gotta' say that I reply'd with LI directions half in jest as I never quite got the whole bottom to top shuttle thing. It's done up in Vermont and I also saw it at Sandia Crest in NM, but always wondered why.

I LIKE climbing, thus never understood the attraction, outside of families thinking about getting into the sport. Then again, I'm a x-country skiier as well.....

SB
What kind of riding did you do in NM...Sandia Crest. Our DH is on the DL!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mtn. Biker123 said:
What kind of riding did you do in NM...Sandia Crest. Our DH is on the DL!!
I spent my spring and summers in Santa Fe, from '91 to '99. I would often ride out of the house we rented up off Tano Rd. Also a lot of exploring out on the Caja (I really got out to some remote area's), the Winsor trail, Tesuque Peak, up thru the Cochiti, So Boundary trail, Cedro, Foothills, etc...

Great mt. biking

SB

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Lighting Guy said:
I spent my spring and summers in Santa Fe, from '91 to '99. I would often ride out of the house we rented up off Tano Rd. Also a lot of exploring out on the Caja (I really got out to some remote area's), the Winsor trail, Tesuque Peak, up thru the Cochiti, So Boundary trail, Cedro, Foothills, etc...

Great mt. biking

SB
Cool, let me know when you are this way again. I will show you our DH shuttle runs. I like XC too, but nothin' like screamin' down at 30+mph. Pure adrenalin.

BA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.