Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Mtn View, CA
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any shops in the south bay that stock Fox 10wt green fork oil? Or a recommended alternative?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Trail Head Cyclery, pretty sure they had red and green when I bought some.

·
Mtn View, CA
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So if I told a motorcycle shop I needed green Fox 10wt, they'd know what the equivalent is?

·
190lbs of climber
1,523 Posts
No need to specify Fox. Any 10wt suspension oil will do, even mixing usually works. Some older forks called for 7.5wt, and I would just mix 10wt and 5wt in equal amounts. I get mine (for forks and my dropper post) at Cyclepro motorcycle chain stores.

·
Lightly salted
1,388 Posts
Like most are saying, just go to a moto shop. You can get cheaper, better performing fluid than the fox branded stuff.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Think I have green, but it might be red... Either way if you want some I'm in Campbell, feel free to PM me.

·
Mtn View, CA
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went to Zoom Cycle Accessories in Santa Clara. That place is a mess. Didn't have much to choose from for 10wt. Ended up with a bottle of this stuff

0421140718.jpg

·
Rent this space for $
3,641 Posts
I would be VERY suspect of the performance of that oil. I'm pretty tight to the motorcycle related "goods and bads" and that product does not even hit the radar. Your best bet would have been to hit a Cycle Gear that at least has a number of good suspension fluids by Maxxis, Torco, etc. and synthetics, at that. If that SVI gives you the slightest amount of stiction, I'd dump that stuff and seek a better quality oil. Better safe than sorry on parts that you can't see wearing.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I would be VERY suspect of the performance of that oil. I'm pretty tight to the motorcycle related "goods and bads" and that product does not even hit the radar. Your best bet would have been to hit a Cycle Gear that at least has a number of good suspension fluids by Maxxis, Torco, etc. and synthetics, at that. If that SVI gives you the slightest amount of stiction, I'd dump that stuff and seek a better quality oil. Better safe than sorry on parts that you can't see wearing.
Rock Oil is good stuff, so no worries on that count...

Whether it's an appropriate application for that product may be a different question. Eg. are there different components that go into motorcycle vs mountain bike fork oil? I've no idea as to the answer on that, I've not researched it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
There are different additives for oils for motorcycle engines compared to cars, but for forks there shouldn't be any difference between oil for motorcycles and mountain bikes. That stuff should be fine.

·
Mtn View, CA
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is just for the oil bath, not for the damper in a Fox 32 F100 RL. They had Silkolene and Torco but not in 10wt.

·
Registered
359 Posts
FWIW I've used motorcycle suspension fluid in my MTB forks without problems. Roadrider in San Jose has or had a big selection.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts