Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i am from NorCal and will be coming down to San Diego for work near Mira Mesa & 805 next week. I am planning to bring my bike and wondered if there's any good shaded areas to ride. i'll be riding after 4pm, and i think sunset is a little before 8, right? i've been looking at maps and looks like most of the riding in in Escondido and east part? Let me know!

In Norcal, I would recommend Soquel Demo forest or Skeggs for a great shaded area.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
No shaded rides around here. Welcome to the desert. What types of riding are you looking for? XC or more descent oriented? You will have to climb either way!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey salespunk, im a xc rider and love to climb. thats what i figured by looking at the trail reviews that no trees exist in SD.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
If you love to climb look up Elfin Forest. Similar to Demo in that there is a lot of trail packed into a very small area. For more you can do Noble/Laguna's but that will require about a 45 minute drive. Worth the effort though since it is one of the best trails in California. If you are on Strava you can check out some of my stuff for more local options as well.

·
Registered
405 Posts
You might try the western portion of Daley Ranch (there's some nice Oaks up that way, and mostly on east facing slopes), or the Bernardo Peak portion of Hodges. At the times you mentioned, the peak blocks the sun for most of the ride (you're on the east side of the peak). As previously mentioned, Elfin forest will offer some shade on the way up trail. Not so much on the other trails though. That being said, there's some really nice stuff paralleling the stream, going west from the parking lot.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,817 Posts
San Clemente Canyon AKA Marion Bear Park has a bunch of shade, not a ton of climbing and descending, but some fun single track on the sides of the canyons.

·
most memberable
721 Posts
There used to be lots of shade at Cuyamaca...but, some DB burned it all down!

I think there is some limited ST at UCSD...shaded by Eucalyptus trees, I believe.

·
Banned
2,666 Posts
Big Laguna Trail would be your best bet, but not much climbing.

Reactions: LadyDi

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
38,049 Posts
Big Laguna Trail would be your best bet, but not much climbing.
Yup! An awesome single track that works it's way in and out of old growth ponderosa pine. Plus if you feel the urge after that you can drop down Noble Canyon trail for some gnar. Just save some energy to climb the 12 miles back up.

·
GONE
25,557 Posts
You can go prepared by using this. I hear that there is a version that attaches to bike helmets. You'd never have to worry about shade again...

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can go prepared by using this. I hear that there is a version that attaches to bike helmets. You'd never have to worry about shade again...

That's awesome. they make that in carbon?

Thanks everyone for their input. i'm reading up on the trails now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You'll find bits of shade here and there, but nothing that will be shaded for the whole ride without heading out to the mountains. Late afternoons are decent on West end of Daley Ranch (Englemann oak area), and Trans-County Trail portion of Los Penasquitos.

·
Banned
2,666 Posts
Just save some energy to climb the 12 miles back up.
Well, there is THAT climb. I get the feeling there's not a lot of shade until you get near the top.

Shamefully admitting I've never ridden lower Noble :blush:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can add some climbing in though. With the 6k' of elevation to start, any climbing is a workout. Totally worth the 45-60min drive though!
After reviewing all the feedback here, and looking at strava routes, i'm going to tackle Big Laguna. Im looking forward to it. i'll let you guys know how the ride is.

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,666 Posts
No shade in West MTRP. Thank dog it's supposed to be "much cooler" today.

Capture.JPG

·
Banned
2,666 Posts
Here's another one that adds some fun single track north of the meadow loop, including upper Noble canyon trail.

BLT & Upper Noble 20130527 by random_walk at Garmin Connect - Details

The left side of the "bow-tie" at the top of the route has a short but steep climb up a paved road that brings you back up to the meadow trail. The road gets occasional vehicle traffic. Since you have to cross it 3 times on the way down Noble, keep an eye out at the crossings.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts