Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
When you see Giant Bicycles start to produce 29'ers, that will be the signal to everyone else who don't have a 29'er in their portfolio to jump on the bandwagon... :D

R.

·
I want to ride
149 Posts
Come on, lets not put Giant down. They may even make the frame your riding on right now. Personally I hope they do make a 29er, I don't think they will but... Giant has a great duallie platform with the Maestro design right now. They have brought alot to the table in the last few years, and like a lot of companies, some good, some not so good. I'm just glad more people and more industry type are embracing alternatives to the 26" wheel standard. Choices are good. Right?

·
Registered
874 Posts
pd406 said:
Come on, lets not put Giant down. They may even make the frame your riding on right now. Personally I hope they do make a 29er, I don't think they will but... Giant has a great duallie platform with the Maestro design right now. They have brought alot to the table in the last few years, and like a lot of companies, some good, some not so good. I'm just glad more people and more industry type are embracing alternatives to the 26" wheel standard. Choices are good. Right?
Giant getting into the 29er market is nothing but good for that market. The more competition, the better in any market, and especially good when the bigger companies with more resources come to compete. It drives innovation, drives price down and we all benefit.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath on Santa Cruz, they are busy enough with 26" bikes. Doubt they would do a Nomad anyway, as there is no decent 160mm 29er fork to run on the bike.

The Nomad redesign has to be keeping them pretty busy anyway.

·
Registered
427 Posts
dan0 said:
on when or if the few remaining holdouts to 29" are comming around? like Yeti
I don't think the Yeti guys are even remotely interested in making a 29er. If fact, I think they have been quoted mutiple times as saying something like "Yeti will go out of business before we make a 29er mtn bike."

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
CJones said:
I don't think the Yeti guys are even remotely interested in making a 29er. If fact, I think they have been quoted mutiple times as saying something like "Yeti will go out of business before we make a 29er mtn bike."
That could be arraigned. Mwa-ha-ha. Wait, but then how could I ever get a Yeti 29er? My evil plans never work out.

On a serious note, I find it interesting how stubborn the leaders of some companies are. I don't believe any company *must* make a 29er because I demand it and I have rights, blah blah. But from a purely business perspective, 29ers are a proven and growing market. There are so many corners to the market now, and I'm sure many companies have legitimate reasons for not pursuing this particular one. But for Yeti to make a comment like that shows a boneheaded bias that has nothing to do with business and could keep them from considering opportunities that could prove to be very fruitful. Who knows, maybe we will see them out of business

On the other hand there are plenty of 29er zealots who have the same attitude towards "kiddie wheels". Passion is what drives many of these bike industry people, and passion tends to be a little discriminating and biased.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Boomn -- very good comments.

I think alot of people would be interested in a Yeti 29er. Imagine if they made a steel FRO 29er singlespeed with the looptail rear end and a retro paint job?

Go over to the Yeti forum and search 29er. Lots of interesting threads.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TLL said:
I wouldn't hold my breath on Santa Cruz, they are busy enough with 26" bikes. Doubt they would do a Nomad anyway, as there is no decent 160mm 29er fork to run on the bike.

The Nomad redesign has to be keeping them pretty busy anyway.
busy enough?
not a valid reason if you ask me, dont you think Specialized or Gary Fisher was just as busy.
as far as a 160mm fork, if Gary Fisher can get fox to make a special fork and Specialized makes their own and WB allready has a 150mm I dont think it would be too hard to get someone to make a 160, just need enough demand

Maybe a new LT 29er with 120 - 150mm:skep:

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
dan0 said:
busy enough?
not a valid reason if you ask me, dont you think Specialized or Gary Fisher was just as busy.
as far as a 160mm fork, if Gary Fisher can get fox to make a special fork and Specialized makes their own and WB allready has a 150mm I dont think it would be too hard to get someone to make a 160, just need enough demand

Maybe a new LT 29er with 120 - 150mm:skep:
Spec and GF are much bigger companies than Santa Cruz. I could be mistaken, but from the reports I read about their work on the new Blur LT, the majority of the company's engineering time was going into that single project

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
boomn said:
On a serious note, I find it interesting how stubborn the leaders of some companies are.
Is it stubbornness, or is it that they understand their target market a bit more than the theoreticians on this board? :)

dan0 said:
busy enough?
I think if that is what they have stated (and it is) then it's a valid reason. And Should SC play mee too just because Speccy and Fischer make 29ers? God, I hope not.

Really guys, who cares? Is the objective to get everyone to make a 29er? Gee, can't wait for Hoffmann Bikes to make a 29er.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.