Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Tora 318 Solo air, and have a question on the air piston. On the top of the piston is a retaining clip and under that a wavy washer. My wavy washer seems to be a bit less wavy than I would have thought. What I mean by that is the wavy washer doesn't always apply pressure between the retaing clip ans the top of the piston. There is a small amount of play between the piston head and the wavy washer. The service manual states, "Piston should compress slightly with spring resistance against wavy washer and retaining ring." But it doesn't mention anything about play between the two. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be some play in there? If not, I could bend the washer to remove the gap.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
From my experience, yes. I believe this is how soloair works and that movement allows the positive and negative chambers to equalize. On my Toras, you can move the piston by had as well. Remeber to put 3cc's of shock oil on top of the piston to help sealing when you assemble.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, so there should be some play before the wavy washer does anything. Any other opinions or confirmation?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After doing a bit of "googling," I found a couple of threads on the solo air wavy washer. It seems that as this washer ages it becomes flatter, and this may lead to a top-out clunk or knock before intial compression. I went ahead and bent my washer to take up all the play I had mentioned before. I reassambled the fork and it seems to be working just fine on the bench.

As a side note, I have had an intermittent sinking problem with this fork, and wonder if the washer had anything to do with that. I'll have to get some time on the fork and see.

·
Fixin' shocks Day & Night
270 Posts
My experience has not been with the washer flattening. These washers are pretty firm and usually before the deform they crack and break. The are very good to have on hand as they are not always easy to find.

As for the play between the piston and the washer, that is normal there is some play there. But as stated above if the fork has top out noise or a clunking or clicking sound then this is likely the culprit. Change the wavy washer and your problems will be over. :thumbsup:

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts