Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been played out a million times BUT I will be in Calistoga for three days. I recall an out and back called ?Wagon Wheel? (where is it again?...I can go ask a local bike shop). Anyhow, might go try that again but if my wife lets me sneak out for a second day, any other trails nearby worth hitting? I am into DH but can climb all day. Bringing a biggish Free Ride rig that can climb...just not super fast.

Thanks all...happy friday!

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Oat Hill. Best technical riding in the entire Bay Area. Trail starts right at the north point of where Silverado Trail ends.

An ~8+ mile out and back, depending how much further you ride to Aetna Springs.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ryan

Oat Hill. Best technical riding in the entire Bay Area. Trail starts right at the north point of where Silverado Trail ends.

An ~8+ mile out and back, depending how much further you ride to Aetna Springs.
I think this is the one I thought they called Wagon Wheel...recall it being a techy rock garden type climb and decent that is really fun. Haven't been in years and years. If you had a choice, would you rather hit this or drive an hour to Annadel? Curious.

·
Registered
989 Posts
If you had a choice, would you rather hit this or drive an hour to Annadel? Curious.
Oat Hill Mine Road is a 9-mile out-and-back ride (though you can extend it into further fire roads by simply going farther before you turn back). Annadel has more than 40 miles of trails. You can decide for yourself, based upon that...

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
I think this is the one I thought they called Wagon Wheel...recall it being a techy rock garden type climb and decent that is really fun. Haven't been in years and years. If you had a choice, would you rather hit this or drive an hour to Annadel? Curious.
If you never have ridden Annadel I would pick that. If you have check out Oat Hill it is awesome with the big bike and close to Calistoga.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your help everyone. Decided to hit Oat Hill tomorrow instead of Annadel...hope to get out there around 10am...if anyone wants to join, happy for the company otherwise, got a loaded iPod to keep me going.

Thanks.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,162 Posts
If you're there with the wife, ride Oat Hill in the AM then go wine tasting in the afternoon together. We did that our last trip up there. She did spa stuff while I rode. :thumbsup:

·
3.14159265358979323846…
2,847 Posts
Wagon wheel... i like it.

Anyhow, If on a freeride bike can't go wrong with OatHill. no jumps or anything, but you get to float over the boulders. Expect it to be busy (like everything else in the neighborhood) if you're here on the weekend. You will find less congestion the higher up you go. You get the trail all to yourself M - F.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Josh, after your ride don't forget to try a mudbath! My wife and I did one and my side of the mud was so damm hot I almost passed out. My poor wife had to watch me lay down on the shower floor of this place and try to keep from going out. So we really only have fond memories of that place. I highly recommend at least trying it once. Just make sure you don't broil your ass while your in it. They say they "wash" the mud but I ain't buying that story. I figure the heat had to take care of any critters in there.

·
NedwannaB
12,776 Posts
Bigish FreeRide

Thanks for all your help everyone. Decided to hit Oat Hill tomorrow instead of Annadel...hope to get out there around 10am...if anyone wants to join, happy for the company otherwise, got a loaded iPod to keep me going.

Thanks.
That can climb? Yah, OH Mine. You'll enjoy the climb (well I always do...) and eat up the decent. Way too much bike to waste on Adel. Bring something more XC up another time for that.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dang it!

Annadel is only about 30 minutes from calistoga. It literally just over the hill.
Ur probably right but we are actually way up in the mountains so looking at a bigger drive than expected. If I get up early enough, maybe I'll rally but recall Oat Hill being pretty fun too and a heck of a bit closer door to door. Gotta save those browny points tucked away for Whistler or elsewhere this summer. :)

Thanks!

·
3.14159265358979323846…
2,847 Posts
Ur probably right but we are actually way up in the mountains so looking at a bigger drive than expected. If I get up early enough, maybe I'll rally but recall Oat Hill being pretty fun too and a heck of a bit closer door to door. Gotta save those browny points tucked away for Whistler or elsewhere this summer. :)

Thanks!
In the mountains? Are you staying at Harbin? Boggs is closer if you are, but then again, Oat Hill will be a lot more fun on a big bike... There is a wagon wheel trail at Boggs though IIRC

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Great idea!

Josh, after your ride don't forget to try a mudbath! My wife and I did one and my side of the mud was so damm hot I almost passed out. My poor wife had to watch me lay down on the shower floor of this place and try to keep from going out. So we really only have fond memories of that place. I highly recommend at least trying it once. Just make sure you don't broil your ass while your in it. They say they "wash" the mud but I ain't buying that story. I figure the heat had to take care of any critters in there.
Plenty of cold mud baths this winter...may have to endeavor. Sounds like a nice bucket list activity...do they have a kids' mud room? If I was a kid today, that would be just about heaven.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gad, I don't even know

In the mountains? Are you staying at Harbin? Boggs is closer if you are, but then again, Oat Hill will be a lot more fun on a big bike... There is a wagon wheel trail at Boggs though IIRC
We went past Calistoker to that god awful light...took about 10 minutes or so before it turned green. From there hit a road on the right up about 3 or 4 miles. It's some kind of compound looking place...pretty sweet! Gonna prowl the place to find the arsonal tomorrow night. As for Boggs, that was so damn fun last time I went about 7-11 years ago. I may need to do some road trips this summer!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JUST IN CASE...someone decided to join me at 10...got the official thumbs up from wife to go ride Annadel with the group hitting it up at 10. Thinking I'll wake up carck of dawn Monday and go ride Oat Hill when it's not so crowded.

oh happy day

·
NedwannaB
12,776 Posts
There should be loads

JUST IN CASE...someone decided to join me at 10...got the official thumbs up from wife to go ride Annadel with the group hitting it up at 10. Thinking I'll wake up carck of dawn Monday and go ride Oat Hill when it's not so crowded.

oh happy day
Shouldnt have a problem. Maybe finding a parking spot. Channel Dr parking lot off Hwy12 and Mission.

·
Laker and a Trail Blazer
831 Posts

Super Good!
Yesterday, I did annadale, then went home a got my dog then rode Oat Hill.
Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle fork Bicycle wheel

1 - 20 of 42 Posts