Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Hey!

I am looking for any riders that live and ride in the Asheville area of North Carolina. My wife and I were discussing moving to Oregon, but chose to stay a bit closer to our families, so we decided on the Asheville area of NC. Does any one know if the 26 Mountain Bike Park (lift access bike park that opened in '08) just north of Asheville is still in operation. We can't get any more info on it. Please help us out on current times in that area. Thank in advance!

-CP

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kkjellquist said:
Nobody rides bikes in Asheville.
As posted....."in the Asheville area"......not in the city of Asheville itself.

Even then, there has to be some kind of group that does urban assault or something in and around the city of Asheville though.

I am just trying to get a feel or a point of view of the area from a local rider. That's all. Thanks anyway. :thumbsup:

·
"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
665 Posts
ChiliPepper1 said:
I am just trying to get a feel or a point of view of the area from a local rider. That's all. Thanks anyway. :thumbsup:
I kid...there's something like 9 bike shops for 70K+ people in Asheville. You'll love it....some of the best mountain & road cycling in the US.

Funny, before we moved here we looked at OR as well. It came down to Corvallis, OR and Asheville, NC....we made the correct choice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gsxunv04 said:
I ride bent creek and dupont. Also do some riding out at Tsali, and a few places in between.
Thanks! I heard good things about Bent Creek, is it really a sweet trail. The rest all hands down is awesome. Is there any good trails near Boone?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kkjellquist said:
I kid...there's something like 9 bike shops for 70K+ people in Asheville. You'll love it....some of the best mountain & road cycling in the US.

Funny, before we moved here we looked at OR as well. It came down to Corvallis, OR and Asheville, NC....we made the correct choice.
I kinda figured that. Thanks for the chuckle! :)

Yeah, it was between Bend, Oregon or Asheville, and we both rather choose the Asheville area as well. I hear such great things about that area. I used to go to Franklin, NC for gem follicking and participating in a few gem shows as well, but never got up that way to the Asheville area. Thanks!

Hows the economy doing up that way BTW?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Tons of trails near boone, go to Sugar for the DH park if you want. Bent Creek is sweet, a lot of trails to accomodate various skill levels. You can ride the same trail over and over(loop style), or link a few trails together for a nice ride. I recommend you stop at Motion Makers or Carolina Fatz on your way to Bent Creek and pick up a trail map of the Creek Experimental Forest, it'll hit you for $10 but it is well worth it.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
OP-

There's definitely some urban assault that happens.

We don't really have any kind of free-ride-esque parks and the nearest official DH runs are in the Boone area. There's stuff that can be shuttled, but a lot of that is what I'll call open-locals knowledge, move here, investigate, you can find.

Regarding trails, though- BC and Dupont are the tips of the iceberg only. One way to think of it is that on a map, they are respectively at the northern/southermost points of our prime riding areas. Sandwiched in between is the rest of Pisgah District. There's well over 100 miles of trail and gated road to ride in addition to the fine riding at BC and Dupont. The most technical riding is in this area- the meat of the sandwich, as it were.

Scroll down through the forums and check out pisgahproductions Pilot Rock vid for a good window into one of our best public descents. You can also laugh at me crashing hard at the end, it's way more spectacular than it looks in the little high speed video.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gsxunv04 said:
Tons of trails near boone, go to Sugar for the DH park if you want. Bent Creek is sweet, a lot of trails to accomodate various skill levels. You can ride the same trail over and over(loop style), or link a few trails together for a nice ride. I recommend you stop at Motion Makers or Carolina Fatz on your way to Bent Creek and pick up a trail map of the Creek Experimental Forest, it'll hit you for $10 but it is well worth it.
Thank you very much, that was extremely helpful! :thumbsup:

How is the Sugar as per DH riding? I am a gravity rider by heart and soul, but do love the AM scene just as much.

·
XC Champion
289 Posts
ChiliPepper1 said:
Thank you very much, that was extremely helpful! :thumbsup:

How is the Sugar as per DH riding? I am a gravity rider by heart and soul, but do love the AM scene just as much.
Lots of "gravity" riders in the area too. Windrock is only 2 hours away and is some of the most technical, steep, rocky terrain to be found on the east coast.

·
Registered
284 Posts
mbmb65 said:
If you do see 'em, you can be pretty sure they shuttled it.:D
I was at BC the other day and saw a group of guys on FS bikes getting lifted back up the fire road in the back of a pickup truck. :smallviolin:
It cracks me up when people come to the mountains to bike and complain about climbing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
gsxunv04 said:
I was at BC the other day and saw a group of guys on FS bikes getting lifted back up the fire road in the back of a pickup truck. :smallviolin:
It cracks me up when people come to the mountains to bike and complain about climbing.
I do not have anything against climbing, as long as it is on my lighter trail bike though. My DH and FR sleds are a bit beefy for that, though I still love a challenge even at 41 years of age. I love AM riding just as much as I like to shuttle up and bomb down a mountain or hillside.

CCR......I look forward to hooking up with you either in NC or Virginia. Maybe we can hammer one of those beautiful rocky and gnarly trails you advertised on Singletracks....:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
drkenan said:
Lots of "gravity" riders in the area too. Windrock is only 2 hours away and is some of the most technical, steep, rocky terrain to be found on the east coast.
Oh heck yeah, I love Windrock! Only been there once though, but that place rocks! Well, at least Snowshoe is not too far away as well. :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.