Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,660 Posts
JAKEtheDOG said:
Anybody using these yet? Especially with I9's? Do they have eyelets? Is a 200lb rider over the weight limit?

Thanks for the info.
That sounds like a hot combo for sure! :thumbsup:

I'm very interested in the upcoming Stan's rims, but I just built some nice wheels. I don't think I should be looking at all right now. :madman:

Don't know if there are any/many out there yet... :skep:
 

·
This place needs an enema
Joined
·
17,236 Posts
JAKEtheDOG said:
Anybody using these yet? Especially with I9's? Do they have eyelets? Is a 200lb rider over the weight limit?

Thanks for the info.
I've got a pile of 'em here but none laced yet. No eyelets. I think a 200#'er is well within the design spec for that rim. No weight limit that I'm aware of.

MC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
I saw some at bike29 a few days ago. Nice looking rim. As Mike said, no eyelets. Weight should be close to the VCX, but if you can run it tubeless with the yellow tape insted of a rimstrip, that will have a good bit of weight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,660 Posts
mikesee said:
I've got a pile of 'em here but none laced yet. No eyelets. I think a 200#'er is well within the design spec for that rim. No weight limit that I'm aware of.

MC
Looking for ride reports from you MC. Are you gonna try the Arch's as well?

My Mustang wheels you built are nice and stiff (can they be too stiff?), but I'm wondering how much nicer a wider rim would make the tires feel... :madman:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
mikesee said:
I've got a pile of 'em here but none laced yet. No eyelets. I think a 200#'er is well within the design spec for that rim. No weight limit that I'm aware of. MC
Yo Mike,

After whacking a bump with a new Stan's rim a couple of years ago (the first 29er rims he made, they were rim brake and 400g exactly) and knocking it out of true so bad I could never get it really straight again, I said never again to Stan's POS lightweight rims.

Like childbirth (I guess) I have forgotten the pain and am looking at these Flow rims with an eye to building up a front wheel with one. They have the same ERD as the TK1s I have on there now so I can use the CX-rays I already have!

Anyway, do you see these as being able to be built, tensioned fairly high, and used hard (rigid front end) with as much reliability as my TK1s, or is it a lost cause?

I remember Stan saying something about not tensioning his rims very much as they'd go out of true (I think this was for his older, really light rims), but I'm not racing on them and don't care about light, so I'd prefer a tough, tight wheel, but I also like the fact that it's designed tubeless and have the peace of mind of using a tubeless rim vice a rimstrip on the TK1s. Which BTW I've never had a problem with but it's always a little worry in the back of my mind…RC
 

·
Jacob 34:19
Joined
·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Swami Scott said:
No eyelets... Is the concern build strength and the ability to tension high without eyelets?

SS
Yes and yes. I've heard reports of other non-eyeletted rims from Stans being difficult to tension correctly. I've also had other (eyeletted) rims that have been termed "soft" and have had trouble keeping them tensioned. I'm getting enough deflection to cause disk rub with out-of-the-saddle efforts so I'm looking for a stiffer wheel without the weight penalty of straight gauge spokes. May be too much to ask. A wide rim that can be run tubeless is very enticing but not if it rides like a wet noodle.

Thanks for the info gents. Looking forward to some actual ride reports.

MC, and others that are lacing - Please let us know how these build up.
 

·
Don't be a sheep
Joined
·
3,445 Posts
JAKEtheDOG said:
Yes and yes. I've heard reports of other non-eyeletted rims from Stans being difficult to tension correctly. I've also had other (eyeletted) rims that have been termed "soft" and have had trouble keeping them tensioned. I'm getting enough deflection to cause disk rub with out-of-the-saddle efforts so I'm looking for a stiffer wheel without the weight penalty of straight gauge spokes. May be too much to ask. A wide rim that can be run tubeless is very enticing but not if it rides like a wet noodle.

Thanks for the info gents. Looking forward to some actual ride reports.

MC, and others that are lacing - Please let us know how these build up.
The "scandium" rims that are coming out of Asia are very soft. I have some eyeleted IRD's that suk azz. To keep them straight (this is on a road bike mind you) I have to run more tension than I'd like and the eyelets are pulling out, sweet. Also, If your disc is rubbing it has nothing to do with the wheel and everything to do with the hub axle.
 

·
This place needs an enema
Joined
·
17,236 Posts
VT Mike said:
I saw some at bike29 a few days ago. Nice looking rim. As Mike said, no eyelets. Weight should be close to the VCX, but if you can run it tubeless with the yellow tape insted of a rimstrip, that will have a good bit of weight.
You might be confusing the Arch and Flow. The Arch is ~450g (VXC's are ~460) while the Flow comes in closer to ~525.

MC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,171 Posts
Yeah, I wondered about that too...

Rivet said:
Also, If your disc is rubbing it has nothing to do with the wheel and everything to do with the hub axle.
Although, I suppose if the wheel is really really stiff, It could allow the tortion from leaning to transmitt more effectifely to the axle and possibly result in rotor rubbing....but that would be the opposite of what JtD

No argument about the fix though...need a more secure attachment of axle to dropouts, and a beefier axle...possibly a TA?
 

·
This place needs an enema
Joined
·
17,236 Posts
2xPneu said:
After whacking a bump with a new Stan's rim a couple of years ago (the first 29er rims he made, they were rim brake and 400g exactly) and knocking it out of true so bad I could never get it really straight again, I said never again to Stan's POS lightweight rims.
Lots of folks had that experience with that rim. I think the new Arch/Flow rims came about (to some extent) to address that issue and create a rim that is able to be ridden as a daily driver by folks that weigh more than 140#.

2xPneu said:
Like childbirth (I guess) I have forgotten the pain and am looking at these Flow rims with an eye to building up a front wheel with one. They have the same ERD as the TK1s I have on there now so I can use the CX-rays I already have!
That'd be handy.

2xPneu said:
Anyway, do you see these as being able to be built, tensioned fairly high, and used hard (rigid front end) with as much reliability as my TK1s, or is it a lost cause?
Truthfully, only time will tell. They look promising for sure.

2xPneu said:
I remember Stan saying something about not tensioning his rims very much as they'd go out of true (I think this was for his older, really light rims), but I'm not racing on them and don't care about light, so I'd prefer a tough, tight wheel, but I also like the fact that it's designed tubeless and have the peace of mind of using a tubeless rim vice a rimstrip on the TK1s. Which BTW I've never had a problem with but it's always a little worry in the back of my mind…RC
I don't think there is any tension limitation on the Arch or Flow. The guys at NoTubes feel that these are a good choice for AM and general trail riding, suggesting that the Flow rim compares favorably to the Rhyno Lite and is stiffer than the Salsa Delgado Disc. Again, only time will tell.

I've got my hands full with winter/snow projects right now, plus our trails are buried under 7" of it, so I won't be lacing them for myself anytime soon.

MC
 

·
Let's ride
Joined
·
7,125 Posts
2xPneu said:
Yo Mike,

Like childbirth (I guess) I have forgotten the pain and am looking at these Flow rims with an eye to building up a front wheel with one. They have the same ERD as the TK1s I have on there now so I can use the CX-rays I already have!
You have new CX-Rays spokes, or are you saying you're going to reuse spokes? Eeek, if the latter.

I'm really looking fwd to the Stans rim, the midweight one.
 

·
This place needs an enema
Joined
·
17,236 Posts
JAKEtheDOG said:
Yes and yes. I've heard reports of other non-eyeletted rims from Stans being difficult to tension correctly. I've also had other (eyeletted) rims that have been termed "soft" and have had trouble keeping them tensioned. I'm getting enough deflection to cause disk rub with out-of-the-saddle efforts so I'm looking for a stiffer wheel without the weight penalty of straight gauge spokes. May be too much to ask. A wide rim that can be run tubeless is very enticing but not if it rides like a wet noodle.

Thanks for the info gents. Looking forward to some actual ride reports.

MC, and others that are lacing - Please let us know how these build up.
The older Olympics and ZTR 355's were sometimes VERY difficult to balance the tension on, but IMO that had nothing to do with the lack of eyelets, and everything to do with the walls being so thin on the extrusion.

MC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
Stans flows

My Stand Flow rims have arrived, and Lou at Briarcliff Bikeworks is lacing them to blue King hubs for my pending Behemoth. I chose them because Im 230 lbs, and wanted something wider that the I9/ DT 7.1 rims on my Lev.(19mm vs. 28mm). Im going to try the flows on my Lev as soon as they are built (next week some time).
I'll post pics and reviews as soon as I ride 'em.
 

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
Joined
·
8,821 Posts
TONYACCURSO said:
My Stand Flow rims have arrived, and Lou at Briarcliff Bikeworks is lacing them to blue King hubs for my pending Behemoth. I chose them because Im 230 lbs, and wanted something wider that the I9/ DT 7.1 rims on my Lev.(19mm vs. 28mm). Im going to try the flows on my Lev as soon as they are built (next week some time).
I'll post pics and reviews as soon as I ride 'em.
Hey Tony... try to get us some feedback from Lou the wheelbuilder also. I'd like to know if he has any tensioning issue when building. Thanks.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top