Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does anyone have any experience on these babies? how do they perform and any problems with them yet?
The only experience with them was at the Whiskey Offroad. The brakes felt amazing, from a modulation standpoint, but they weren't on any bikes that I could demo.

I might consider them for my next brake, but I have a hard time justifying the cost versus another pair of XT brakes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ive got a pair on my Nomad. They have tons of power on tap and very good modulation. By adjusting pad contact and lever throw, they can be set up one finger style like shimano's or to have a bite more lever travel before reaching pad contact and full power...which is how I prefer them.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I just had a quick experience on a test bike, the new 2015 Felt Compulsion. And I was very impressed with the Guide brakes. Superb and solid feel. No noises. And I have two sets of (powerful) Formulas. This test did make me almost buy these brakes! Well, when one of my Formulas dies........I know what I want.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
you guys sure are brave.
It looks like the Guides are going for more or less full srp (which is nearly 3x the street price of the best brakes on the market), for a brand new product from a company that's literally had zero success with hydraulic brakes in about 15 years of trying, and generally not well known for thoroughly testing things before rushing to market.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
...from a company that's literally had zero success with hydraulic brakes in about 15 years of trying...
And the fanboys continue. I have had less trouble from my Juicy 3, 5, and Elixir 1 sets than i've had with my Formula RX. My Avids are also quieter than my Formula set. I can follow and stop on the same trails as my riding partners who are running Shimano brakes.

I wouldn't call that "zero success". Thats what i call a fully functional brake set. I generally bleed once every 1-2yrs, which is an easy process. I also like working on my bikes, so, its an enjoyable night.

So, please, lets not be a drama queen with unfounded statements. Maybe YOU have zero success with Avid braking systems, but, in my experience i've only had a lever get sticky. Rebuild and bleed and back on the trails.

That all said, these are "new", but, based on the Trail version of their brakes which have been thoroughly tested. They are also generally regarded as one of the better of the Avid systems, even by Shimano fanboys.

·
Registered
401 Posts
My Elixir 9 Trail bleed like sheeeet. But once they are setup they really do a great job. Mine have excellent adjustability, tremendous 4-pot stopping power, good modulation, nice levers (I am not a fan of Shimano levers) ... and I never have a problem with howl, squeal or the problems with Elixirs mentioned by other people. They just work well, very well.

That being said, the guide has a third adjuster and bleeds better according to reviews, it may be the cat's meow when I can afford a switch.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Replaced my XT "which have been rock solid for years" with these and I won't be going back anytime soon. Modulation is better, adjustment is better, they run dead silent and I prefer the lever. As great as my XT have performed these are better. They are not cheap but so far have proven worth the $$.

·
Registered
665 Posts
One of the guys at my local shop has had these on his bike for several months now, I think he's tight with the sram rep or something. He said the bleed process from when he shortened the line is kind of a PITA compared to shimano but not as bad a avid. He's more of a DH enduro rider so I'm sure they have been used hard and when I gave them a feel in the parking lot they were solid. Like XT's but you can adjust the contact point to be like half of what you can get with the XT's.

I'd have already gone with a set of XT's on my bike but I can't stand anything crome colored on my bike so that's why I'm looking at all black guides. Does anyone who has these have a weight comparison to the XT's, honestly in the end it would make or break my decision but it would be cool to know.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I believe Sram lists their weights with a rotor, so, i'm going to guess a bit here.

Shimano XT BR-M785 fronts are about 290g.
Sram Guide R, RSC are 375g (minus 90g for rotor and its 285). Guide RS is 380g (minus 90g for rotor and its 290).

They are very similar in weight. The Guides will leave your wallet a bit lighter, too. Lighter means faster on the trails. Spend the cash.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm getting a pair for my Stump jumper FSR EVO 29 to replace the Formula C1s. Should have them on by Monday or Tuesday. Will report back after I have some ride time on them.
Hi "mmckechnie"
I have 2014 Stumpy FSR 29 with Formula C1 also and I'm not very happy with it, it's been over a year. I'd like to upgrade the brake so please report back, did you have to replace the rotor also ? Enjoy your new brake
Thanks,
HVC

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was able to ride these brakes on two bikes a few weeks ago in a specialized demo fleet. One was on the new 650b enduro the other on a status during the EWS at winter park. I run SLX on my bike.

Now I took zero time to fiddle or dial the brakes but put a downhill run on each set and they felt totally different between the two sets. I may have been the first ride on the status from the demo fleet (or no-one bashed a crank arm yet, i fixed that real quick :) ) and the lever felt very solid more shimano like, the set on the enduro felt like the old elixer 5s i had, less power much softer lever feel. So this leads me to believe that they were either adjusted WAY different or its the same old avid deal, hit and miss. In both sets of brakes the power was slightly less than shimano but better than the old elixers as they never had trouble being able to lock out a wheel like the elixers did.

·
Registered
216 Posts
you guys sure are brave.
It looks like the Guides are going for more or less full srp (which is nearly 3x the street price of the best brakes on the market), for a brand new product from a company that's literally had zero success with hydraulic brakes in about 15 years of trying, and generally not well known for thoroughly testing things before rushing to market.
How is MSRP of $200.00 for the RSC 3x the street price of the best brakes on the market? XTR have a MSRP of $230 and sell for around $200.00. XT are around $100.00. Forumla R1 list for over $300.00 and sell for over $200.00. The Maguras are priced similar.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.