Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been really stoked with my HobGoblin, been riding it consistently for the past several months. Other than a few pivot screws that needed some loctite to keep them in place, bikes been super solid.

Looking at a gravity bike since SoCal DH Park scene is once again coming alive. Anyways, finding some decent reviews of the Pathogen frame set are hard to come by.

Any reviews to share from some of the early adopters?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Been really stoked with my HobGoblin, been riding it consistently for the past several months. Other than a few pivot screws that needed some loctite to keep them in place, bikes been super solid.

Looking at a gravity bike since SoCal DH Park scene is once again coming alive. Anyways, finding some decent reviews of the Pathogen frame set are hard to come by.

Any reviews to share from some of the early adopters?
We've sold quite a few of them now, but this time of year is tough for most folks to get some good gravity riding in. Most of the gravity parks aren't open yet. Expect to see a lot more reviews/comments in May.

Decline Magazine just did a test of the Pathogen in the current May issue if you want to check that out.

Jeremy

·
orange617
53 Posts
hi big daddy fly, i just got my pathogen frame and all i can say is wow...i am putting in all the parts until i ran into an issue with the headset...i am going to install the bomber 888 that came off my taka but the provided crown race is for 1.5" steer tube...id like to know what crown race can i order for the 1 1/8" straight steer tube of the 888. i wanna be sure what im getting so i wont end up just throwing it away coz it wont fit. your timely advise will be much appreciated...thanks.

·
CoolArrow
2,473 Posts
See if we can't get some more Pathogen owners to chime in...

I thought the review in Decline was nice, but a little light (not sure what I expected). Always troubles me when they go on about the specs on a build that they create, and the critiquing in them sometimes casts a shadow over the product review in general. In this case, they refer to "stock wheels" - but they picked these wheels, they are not "stock" or spec'd by Airborne, and complain about how the bars were too low, but they were the ones who picked out FLAT bars ;) I feel magazines should do a sidebar to the review where they talk about the components they choose for a particular build.

In this case, I appreciate they try to come up with an "affordable" build, but still wish they'd keep all of that to a sidebar.

Found it funny they call out the head angle and geometry... ??? (IMO, its plenty slack)

Anyhow - I've ridden mine on a variety of terrain and really pushed myself on it. Like Decline notes, it feels planted on the trail. It doesn't skip around in rocky/rough sections, which I think can also be attributed to the X-Fusion shock a little bit as well as the frame. I found the settings on the shock to make sense, are easy to adjust (but the rebound is bit tricky to reach). Despite the 9.5lb frame, the bike is easy to maneuver around, even in slower technical sections, but speed is the Pathogen's friend (it IS a DOWNHILL bike, right? :).

While it does plow through rock gardens/rough with ease and control, I wouldn't consider this a "plow bike" - because even at speed, it's very easy to move the bike around. Wouldn't call it "playful", but Decline nailed it with "responsive". Front end comes up easy when needed - and this where I really disagree with Decline - if the bike were slacker, it wouldn't handle so well and the front end would be more difficult to affect. The way it is now, it strikes a keen balance. It rides like a DH bike, not a freeride bike, which is a great thing. A new DH race series recently popped up for this season, and I think I can make to at least 2, of not three of the four in the series. Can't wait to get the Pathogen on couple of these courses.

Coming directly from the TAKA, the Pathogen is on another level. TWO other levels really. Those who cross over from the Taka will immediately notice the difference; longer, lower, faster and easier to move around. Not sure it's lighter, it will depend on the build, but it "rides lighter". Also the frame is very stiff front to back, no wobble or wiggle, even when putting power through to the cranks at max output.

My current build:

Mostly parts from Taka; Gravity cranks, Nuke Proof plasic body pedals with metal pins, 888 fork from Taka, Direct Mount stem from Function, RF Atlas bars, low-rise, generic seat post, Deity saddle, Elixr brakes, Vans waffle sole grips, Mavic DeeMax wheels, Maxxis DHF on front - 2.5 and tubeless, Michelin Wild Gripper 2.5 on the rear, also tubeless.

Future build edits: Saint cranks, Zee brakes, Deity bars, I-Beam seat and post (they are remarkably light - a great place to shave what can be significant weight).

That's about all I can come up with. Here's a quick vid from some shuttles yesterday on local-ish trail. First day out this year on the whole trail so I was a bit shaky, but the Pathogen was all there and allowed to shake out the cobwebs pretty fast.

<p><a href="http://vimeo.com/93073835">Gravity</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/jerryhazard">J Hazard</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Thanks for the great and in-depth review Jerry!

I must admit, their comments regarding the HT angle took me by surprise.

Jeremy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts