Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hmmm, me too, which Fox 4 Levi 4"

I am trying to decide between a Fox F29 100 or 120 and also yes or no on the G2 offset. Can anyone help?
My riding style is cross-country in new england hills and i'm not into huge drops.
So is it sensless going for a 120mm travel?
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
fatty drop

PS I weigh 185 and like a plush ride, running a Reba Race 100 now.

·
This place needs an enema
16,926 Posts
I built myself a 4" Lev last summer for high alpine riding and multi-day touring. I used a 120 Reba and a RS Monarch out back.

I wouldn't dream of going shorter than the 120 up front on the 4.0. I went back and forth for a few rides between QR and TA, as well as between standard and G2. Ultimately I preferred the QR and G2. There isn't a huge difference between them, but the G2 made the bike feel slightly quicker at slow speeds yet still every bit as stable when hauling the mail.

Haven't ridden an RP23 in years, but others seem to love 'em on their 4.0's.

MC

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
@ Fat29Tire...I have a Lenz Lev 4...probably ride the same kind of stuff in New England.
I use it for racing and trail riding.
I am running a DT 100 fork.
I did try a G2 Fox F29 100 and a standard Reba 100 on it...it does steer a little different with the different forks...but nothing earth shattering. Preload/sag makes more difference.
I stuck with the DT because it was the best all around performer.
As far as the RP23...the new Boost Valve is very plush....a little too plush for me.
I like more platform in the shock, I tend to stand and sprint a lot....so it is on it's way back from Push.
I honestly don't see a need for a 120 fork( for what I do)...but everyone is different.

@ Mikesee...where did you find a 120 [email protected] fork???

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks Mike, you sold me my first Levi in NH remeber?
Anyway, I'm intrigued by the Monarch and may replace a tired RP23 rather then having it PUSHed. Can you recall what the right specs are for the Levi4 off the top of ur head?
Does 6.5X1.5 sound right?
Thanks
Steve Cole (fatire)rr

·
16,926 Posts
starre said:
that is kinda strange. i thought the only 120 G2 was manufactured with a tapered steerer tube for gary fisher's rumblefish. mike, can u clarify? thanx!
I got it as part of a testing junket with RS. IIRC they told me to 'Hang onto it if you like it, cuz there aren't going to be any more...".

Dunno if there are others, or if there are 80/100 G2 forks out there that could be converted.

MC

·
16,926 Posts
Fat29Tire said:
Thanks Mike, you sold me my first Levi in NH remeber?
Anyway, I'm intrigued by the Monarch and may replace a tired RP23 rather then having it PUSHed. Can you recall what the right specs are for the Levi4 off the top of ur head?
Does 6.5X1.5 sound right?
Thanks
Steve Cole (fatire)rr
IIRC yours was the blue 3.0?

Just went out and measured the small pile of Monarchs on the shelf to be sure: 6.5 x 1.5, and you need 22.2 x 6mm hardware.

Cheers,

MC

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
mikesee said:
I got it as part of a testing junket with RS. IIRC they told me to 'Hang onto it if you like it, cuz there aren't going to be any more...".

Dunno if there are others, or if there are 80/100 G2 forks out there that could be converted.

MC
Damn...you get all the cool stuff

·
San Diego County
1,475 Posts
Steve,

I don't have a Lenz but about the Monarch 3.3; I have been using one (on my Canzo) for a couple months. The shock's not even close to new in fact it's an '07. I doubt it's been serviced and it's still darned impressive for xc/trail use. I'm a masher for the most part and just leave it in position 2 and never think about it. Just as it should be. Not sure how the price for the shock would be compared to Pushing your RP23. I have read Mike C and many others praise that shock also. They are right, works great.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I have tried both the 2010 Fox and the Monarch on the Lev( thanks to the wonderful Customer service from buying a bike from Mikesee).
So close....yet slightly different.
The RS has a little more platform...but a little less plush.
And when I say little...I mean very little.
You can't go wrong with either.
I ended up staying with the Fox.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.