Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into building a ski bike. First I'd better find out where I can run them!

Any resorts that allow lift access for ski bikes? Northstar doesn't advertise ski bikes anymore.

·
We need more wax
307 Posts
On Saturday I saw one at the top of KT-22 at Squaw. Never have seen one at Alpine Meadows where I have had a pass for many years.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, cool. Thanks for those leads. So they are at Northstar?! Will these resorts also allow you to take your own ski bike up or do they require use of their own?

tahoetic,

You mean you've been riding ski bikes for 10 years? Can you give me some pointers on building a ski bike? Where's the best/better places for lift access with nice long runs?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes, I have been riding ski bikes for ten years. Sierra, Northstar, and Heavenly for long runs. They are very popular in Colorado. My bike has about 9 inches of travel. My current set up is a Marzocchi Roco RC World Cup in the back and a fastec coil with up force damping in the front. The best skis to use are Salomon SB 99cm. PM me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
How does it handle in the steeps, bumps, and tight spots? I could see how they would be a blast on the long, fast groomies and jumps off all kinds. My buddy built one years ago, but nowhere's near as trick as yours. Cool stuff. Nice video.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That video was awesome. Since I'm not a skier or boarder, i can still enjoy the snow-covered slopes on one of these.

Does all that travel really make a difference? I mean I'm sure it's better than w/o but since I'm building one for hauling back up the hill myself for places where there's no lift, i'm trying to go lightweight (and cheap!). I figure also the snow is it's own soft landing, but then again, I'm not a snow person either. I guess packed snow/ice vs. powder will be the difference.

·
Registered
219 Posts
OK, here's whats going on. Groomers and park jumps are are just fine with regular snowboard boots. My bike has pegs so it's all good. Most people ride this way. However, if you want to ride bumps, steeps, and deep powder, you need to have small foot skis (76cm) with ski boots.

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
rented and rode one at donner a few years ago, my cousin was visiting and it was cheaper than a snowboard rental so i let him ride my board haha ... had a lot of fun .... if i ever get one id still keep the board around for the powder days though

i think the one i had was a k2

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Melt said:
. if i ever get one id still keep the board around for the powder days though
powder i guess would be unrideable with a ski bike? snowboard bike then? hmm, just like mountain bikes, gotta have more than one for different types of conditions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used to work at Mammoth and we had a guy show up at the lift with a sled. We weren't going to let him up, but management said that if he had a lift ticket he could take what ever he liked up the lift. This was about 8 years ago, but I would imagine that it hasn't changed much. After that we let anybody up as long as they had a ticket.

·
got the dhr...
425 Posts
Im getting one of the alpine ski bikes (winter-x bike, ski-mx kit, hanson bikes). I already ordered it, it should be coming sometime next week. im gonna get some sort of 99cm ski boards to mount up to them, put on my shwinn mesa hardtail with an old marzo dj fork. Ill be going to N* a lot, my mom got a timeshare thing at the hyatt at northstar. summer and winter, baby. I rented a ski bike from heavenley about 4 years ago, after breaking my wrist my first time snowboarding. Ive been hooked on them ever since, but havent been able to get one till now. Ill let you guys know what happens.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.