Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not looking for myself but i have a buddy who just got into biking this year. He currently rides a cheap hardtail Co-OP (rei) bike and wants to get a solid rig.
Are there any recommended websites that people normally look at?
Currently i am looking at craigslist and offerup for him.
He is looking for a full suspension bike for around $1k.

He is located in San Diego.

thanks for your help!

·
Neighborhood Rider
6 Posts
Any will do. Pinkbike is usually more expensive but better bikes, but I've had good success with both Craigslist and Offerup, I got my current bike off a dude through Offerup.

·
GONE
27,030 Posts
I am not looking for myself but i have a buddy who just got into biking this year. He currently rides a cheap hardtail Co-OP (rei) bike and wants to get a solid rig.

thanks for your help!
He may have a hard time finding a quality full suspension bike for $1000 but it's certainly worth a try. $1500 is more like it.

He can get a quality hardtail for $1000 though.

Keep an eye on the classified ads here, and on ebay, and pinkbike. I almost always buy used and I have always found the best deals on ebay.

·
slow
7,749 Posts
In the past few years, I have found my bikes on
eBay
Local Craigslist
Non-local Craigslist
Pinkbike
Facebook marketplace

Don't be afraid to search craigslist nationwide. With good communication and possibly a friend on the other end to facilitate, finding a deal on craigslist in another city can work well. You can also expand your facebook marketplace search to include other areas.

·
Registered
65 Posts
+1 for craigslist. Good deals to be had if you are patient.

For my last bike I looked for a few months and ended up finding a 1 year old $4k retail bike for $1500. ($2k asking price - don't be afraid to negotiate, esp if you have a hard cap on your budget, just put it out there.)

·
Registered
888 Posts
"how about (1/2 your asking price) in CASH!?"

I sold my last bike on Craigslist locally, I've sold a couple on the classifieds here, and sold some stuff on Pinkbike. Dirtreaders is another SD website, I've sold and bought bikes there, but not very active these days..

·
Registered
686 Posts

thanks for your help!
You may want to consider looking for 26" wheeled bikes. They may be a few years old. But 26er's can be found pretty cheap even for higher end builds.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I've purchased 2 of 3 mountain bikes on Craigslist, not locally. The 3rd was new from a shop.

I purchased my road bike from local Craigslist, which I have since sold on Craigslist.

You may need to help your friend with the purchase though, there are any he's entertaining from Craigslist.

Oh, and I test rode a Craigslist bike with the seller (didn't buy the bike).
We met to ride it to for me to get an opinion -I had no idea we'd be riding 23 miles that day. haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.