Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
It was a compliment on his great style.
I know, I was busting your balls! LOL

:)

Kinda goes to the point that age isn't really a good measure of ramp suitability.
My kid (and lots and lots of other kids I know) have outclassed any of those prefab toy ramps by the time they're 5 or 6 (or even younger).
I think those are fine for super-beginners who may or may not actually ever learn to jump and just want something to mess with in the driveway that their kids can roll over with their scooters and slide their HotWheels down and such, but you can do all that just as well with some scrap wood. To make real progress, something bigger and more solid is a necessity.

Also keep in mind, you can get a truckload of ~20 yards of nice screened loam for the same price as one of those goofy folding ramps.
I know not everyone has the room, but that is enough dirt for a really nice set of backyard rollers and jumps, and it can be constantly reconfigured based on changing ability and interest.
If you reach a point you're not using it anymore, simply knock it down flat and plant grass. There really is no substitute that comes remotely close.
Hell, you can even just make it into one big jump.

Tire Plant Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Reactions: DIRTJUNKIE

Registered
We've had a bit of everything here -- started with Landwave, then moved to building wood ramps, & added in a few small plastic ramps along the way:
  • Landwave
    • Well made and not too intimidating for a beginner to ride
    • You can rearrange them, but they're a pain to move on a regular basis, especially when you lock them together side to side
    • Straight slope is less than ideal for jumping
    • Straight slope -> flat -> straight slope is less fun to ride over or pump than a continuous curve.
      • When I first started building some wood stuff, I tried making a curved middle section. While it can be done, I wouldn't recommend it: building something that interlocked with the Landwave pieces was more effort & less fun to ride than just building a curved ramp -- Landwave + wood doesn't really cost any less than all wood & the weight of the wood means that you've lost the benefit of being able to move things around.
    • Slope -> flat combination is OK if you're looking for something to practice small drops.
      • Slope -> flat -> flat would be even better.
    • We've had some issues with rats wanting to burrow underneath leaving them out year-round
      • This summer it seemed like I was constantly coming out to find our dog trying to dig at them to get one that ran underneath
    • I think we're up to 3 sets now, but only paid $40-60 or so per set used. IMO, the original retail price is too steep for what you get.
  • Random plastic ramps
    • Curved lips are a little better for getting air
    • They usually do better at staying in place on grass than they do on cement
    • Ramps designed for skateboards may not be based on a big enough diameter to do much for a bike tire
    • We've gotten them anywhere in the range from free to $25
  • Wood
    • Unless they're super tiny, smaller wood ramps a bit too heavy to be moving around on a regular basis
    • If you have a fixed spot to put them, it does give you flexibility to do more interesting stuff
    • Plywood works better for smaller wheeled stuff like scooters
    • 2x lumber is a lot sturdier, holds up better outdoors (if you're using treated lumber or a species of wood not prone to rotting), & is a lot easier to tear down / rearrange if you decide you want to make tweaks to things
    • What we've built thus far took pretty much every waking moment not at work over the course of 2 summers and cost about as much as taking a family trip out to Whistler -- YMMV on whether that approach is worth the cost & labor
If you really want something portable & easily configurable, we have friends that love their MTB Hopper ramps.

Registered
IME, anything that's light enough for a little kid to move is too light to work as an actual ramp.
We had some of those plastic ones around when my kids was like 4 or 5 and even then they weren't stable enough to hit, as well as being slippery as hell.
Fine for an RC car, not so much for a person. Better off just building something that's actually worth learning on.
Well I've have to disagree since I've used it while teaching him. Plenty sturdy enough for this 210 lbs fat ass.

Registered
Got the kids this to play with last year. Can get some air for the older one, can just roll over for the younger one. It鈥檚 cheap, but doesn鈥檛 move around when it鈥檚 set and does the job for us. Definitely not like the real ramps other posters are pasting here!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts