Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my 8 year old daughter asked for a bike ramp/jump for her bike & scooter for Christmas. Looking for recommendations for everything from starting height to if we should build it or buy one that can adjust the height? (Ideally I don’t want to build one and in a month beginner height is boring and have to build a new one).

All feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am in the exact same spot, with twin 8 yo's. Difference is my boy wants to (but no skill) jump on scooter and bike, and daughter likes to roll jumps.

I ended up buying the LandWave set because it is a table top setup 3 part ramp set, plastic so it is light-weight and they can move it themselves (my kids are small), and is fine for exposed weather. There are cheaper ramps out there, but look VERY narrow for learning, especially the landings. I only peaked in the box because this is a 2021 Christmas present that arrived last week. Probably too late, but I'll report back in a month or so.

I had built a small wood jump for them previously, but it is heavy and doesn't hold up great being outside all year.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I built this style two piece for my small backyard to help my daughter get used to rollers, jumps, and terrain changes. It is too small to really "jump" for an adult, but is nice as you can make a gap with a small case pad to work on the mental game. It is also a decent racer "roller" to gain speed. When my daughter started on it I just took some scrap logs and filled the gap with roll-able "natural" material. It coated it with two coats of exterior paint and it seems to be holding up ok after two full seasons. Bending the ply was a pain, but curves look fancy when done.

https://philkmetz.com/beginner-friendly-bike-ramp

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
NJ Gator
122 Posts
Okay call me lame but I bought Landwaves for me.

With no pump tracks close by and a spouse who use divorce me if I tried to build one in my backyard- they were the best solution I found. They are meant to give me some low consequence, driveway skills practice and they do the job better than I expected. I got 4 ramps and 2 boxes- I can make several configurations that allow me to practice row/anti-row (Lee likes bikes), punches, small table top jumps, slow speed wheelie drops, bunny hops, pumping etc…

They are bulky, but easy to set-up and I think provide more versatility for different configurations. I got them from Amazon and the kit I got was about $400- 1 kit included the 4 ramps and a box and I got an additional box. This was pre-supply issues so I imagine the price has increased somewhat.

I store them outside but usually take them apart so neighborhood kids don’t help themselves to a jump.

·
NJ Gator
122 Posts
Jeeprage- I double the ramp take-off/landing to make the ramps wider for me- that being said I do that more for my weight to prevent sliding. The width isn’t too bad actually and they should be good if they hit the jump center. Kids shouldn’t have an issue with sliding- they haven’t slid for me and I am 220lbs

·
Registered
858 Posts
They are geared more towards bmx/skate, but Ramptech is great if they have something that works for what you are looking for. They come with all the framing wood, screws and now have gone to a composite decking that is impervious to water and grippy. I have three of their products for my son and they've stood the test of time.

Construction is extremely straightforward but my son really got a kick out of helping and that made him feel more invested it in, which I like.

Kicker

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
41,444 Posts
Kids don't scrounge plywood and bricks or cinder blocks for ramps anymore?

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Sky

(Yes, I'm old)
First thing I that came to my mind.
Ahhh..the memories of cracking plywood, bricks that would collapse and tip over upon impact, hard flat landings on an old steel Schwinn Stingray. Bent rims and road rash, what’s not to like?

We don’t need no stinking helmets or pads. 😡

·
Registered
439 Posts
Holy hell these premade ramps are expensive. I suppose if you don't have the tools, which are minimal, the time, or need something more precise for smaller radius wheels they may be worth it. That said, even my jankey carpentry skills can build something curved that is good enough for bike use. Any human with thumbs can build a wedge. Screws or nails are recommended but optional.

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
Holy hell these premade ramps are expensive. I suppose if you don't have the tools, which are minimal, the time, or need something more precise for smaller radius wheels they may be worth it. That said, even my jankey carpentry skills can build something curved that is good enough for bike use. Any human with thumbs can build a wedge. Screws or nails are recommended but optional.
Big part of it was the weight. My son also has a Traxxis Slash and used the ramp for that as well. He could pull the plastic ramp out on his own. Not so with the wooden one I made.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Big part of it was the weight. My son also has a Traxxis Slash and used the ramp for that as well. He could pull the plastic ramp out on his own. Not so with the wooden one I made.
IME, anything that's light enough for a little kid to move is too light to work as an actual ramp.
We had some of those plastic ones around when my kids was like 4 or 5 and even then they weren't stable enough to hit, as well as being slippery as hell.
Fine for an RC car, not so much for a person. Better off just building something that's actually worth learning on.

Reactions: stripes
1 - 20 of 32 Posts