Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just have to run the brake cables tonight and my first 29er is ready to roll. I have an 06 Reba Race and as a RS first timer I have no idea of where to start pressure wise. I am about 180 lbs, like things on the slightly firmer side, but like some small bump compliance (not asking for everything!). Any starting point recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
120psi in the positive (2/3 your weight in lbs).
For the negative I put a ziptie on the fork stanchion slightly above the wiper seal.
I then start pressurizing the egative and stop when I see the lowers begin to rise up the stanchion.

·
Registered
235 Posts
wow! I'm at less than 50%

I have a first generation Reba 29" (which should not matter), I run about 70-75PSI positive, 80-85PSI negative. I weigh less than 160-lbs, geared and Camelback'd up. This is for ledgy techy desert riding and I do not like to bottom out much.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Set it by sag, and not what PSI shows on your gauge. Those gauges are far from accurate. So mine shows 150 and yours shows 120...
As well, your ability to take the pump off the fork without losing some or all of the air is subjective.
For comfort, you'd be in the 25% sag range, full dressed.
Then play with the sag setting and see how you like the changes. If at any sag setting, you bottom out the fork, you then really should consider upping the PSI(i.e. less sag).

I'm only referring to the positive pressure. The negative chamber is a different discussion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.