Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my new fork last week, I was suprised to find that it did not come with a starnut. Since I was in a rush to put it on and did not have a new star nut, I just drove the old one out of my old fork and installed it in the new fork.

It is my understanding that the only purpose of the starnut is for adjustment, and it serves no real purpose for holding the fork on (the stem does that), so it there any danger in reusing the old one like I did?

·
Registered
105 Posts
nope

as long as it's in there and give's you enough bite to set up and preload your headset. the stem clamp bolts are what holds the front end together. DO check the whole area for bolt tightness after every ride if you are the least bit unsure. If you are riding DH or jumps, get a Headlock by Azonic asap.
yz_387 said:
When I got my new fork last week, I was suprised to find that it did not come with a starnut. Since I was in a rush to put it on and did not have a new star nut, I just drove the old one out of my old fork and installed it in the new fork.

It is my understanding that the only purpose of the starnut is for adjustment, and it serves no real purpose for holding the fork on (the stem does that), so it there any danger in reusing the old one like I did?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Use the old one only until you get your hands on a new one. Those prongs are brittle and can break easily when used too much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts