Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm about to do a bike build and lean towards TALAS because I don't weight 150 pounds and have liked the instant height change with ETA on a Bomber.

Has anybody here tried this yet? So far I've only found the spacers for Hope Pro II with adapters from an eBay store as far as hub options.

I do ride rocky and rough stuff, but I don't huck and again, don't weigh much so I wonder if this new standard is throwing money away when compared to my wheel options with the old school QR standard.

Thanks for any input.

·
I'm UTarded
101 Posts
I've got an 09 Fox Vanilla 32 RLC with the 15QR axle in my hands right now, but I'm having a helluva time getting a hub. The hub that Shimano sent me is a centerlock hub. I tried to make it work with an Alligator adapter thing that I bought from PricePoint, but it doesn't.

So, I'm scrambling to find a 15QR hub with a standard 6-bolt pattern, but I'm not having much luck thus far. Hopefully I can either get a 180mm centerlock rotor or (better) get a hub with a standard 6-bolt pattern.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
powderboy said:
I've got an 09 Fox Vanilla 32 RLC with the 15QR axle in my hands right now, but I'm having a helluva time getting a hub. The hub that Shimano sent me is a centerlock hub. I tried to make it work with an Alligator adapter thing that I bought from PricePoint, but it doesn't.

So, I'm scrambling to find a 15QR hub with a standard 6-bolt pattern, but I'm not having much luck thus far. Hopefully I can either get a 180mm centerlock rotor or (better) get a hub with a standard 6-bolt pattern.
Thank you for your resoponse.

Between lack of shipping product and weight I went with conventional setup but did get White hubs with larger front axle designed for open dropouts.

I have no doubt this standard will sell to some or a large extent but open dropouts also gives me compatibility with my other bikes.

I am not sure a lot of people know the White hubs have the large axle and they're wonderful hubs. I could be wrong, but I also have a lot of confidence in going the route of proven products and custom (hand) built wheels.

Thanks again.

·
I'm UTarded
101 Posts
Yeah, it will be an uphill battle for the 15mm standard to catch on. I think it's a GREAT idea, but it will face lots of questions from consumers and manufacturers. As you and I have seen, compatible products are arriving very slowly.

I really, hope it catches on.

·
Registered
10,089 Posts
powderboy said:
Yeah, it will be an uphill battle for the 15mm standard to catch on. I think it's a GREAT idea, but it will face lots of questions from consumers and manufacturers. As you and I have seen, compatible products are arriving very slowly.

I really, hope it catches on.
I think the 20mm axle idea is even better. And there is products available for it. But it is good to re-invent the wheel sometimes :D

·
I'm UTarded
101 Posts
Yeah, I've ridden 20mm thru axles pretty much exclusively over the past 6 years. I think it's a great solution for all bikes. But, then you get the weight-shaving XC crowd that think an extra 50 grams will be detrimental to their lap times who couldn't ever accept using a 20mm thru axle. So, therein lies the sweet spot for the 15QR.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
powderboy said:
Buy a Hope Pro II. They make the 15mm adapter as well as a 20mm adapter for their hub.

·
Registered
239 Posts
When I first heard of the 15mm qr I was thrown off to because it seems kind of ridiculous to reintroduce yet another standard to mountain biking. I'd to actually ride a bike with it and see how it compares to a 20mm axel. I have the same question as william 42 though, is a 15mm fork really that much lighter than the same fork with a 20mm axel? I ride a Lyrik, and I LOVE my maxel, it is such a great system. It is just as fast as any regular qr axel.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
daway said:
When I first heard of the 15mm qr I was thrown off to because it seems kind of ridiculous to reintroduce yet another standard to mountain biking. I'd to actually ride a bike with it and see how it compares to a 20mm axel.
Don't think of 15mm as a competitor to 20mm hubs, but as a replacement for QR's.

·
Registered
239 Posts
powderboy said:
Good point... that's actually the right way to think about it. Fox/Shimano's intent wasn't to unseat the 20mm standard, but to convince folks that the old 9mm QR's should be abolished... a notion that I agree with whole-heartedly.
I guess that is a good way to look at it, it puts it more into perspective. And I definately agree with the abolishment of the 9mm qr, they quite frankly scare me. I am still curious about what type of weight savings are had over a 20mm fork, and the weight in comparison to a regular 9 mm Qr axel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.