Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get my young son into mtbike racing, but I don't know of any higher quality mt bikes for kids...

are there any out there without having to go custom?

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
how big & how old is your offspring? I saw a Redline 24" wheeled cyclocross bike at my LBS yesterday. Trek (icky but that's just me) has a 24" wheeled bike called the 220. You might even be ableto find a "woman's specific geometry" (aka smaller) bike from C'dale, Trek, etc...

·
Registered
630 Posts
Specialized

If you are looking for a 24" full susser - look at the Specialized. It's still heavy but probably the nicest I found when I was looking. I couldn't pull the trigger on such an expensive bike that would soon be outgrown. I got my son the Trek MT220. Heavy as a boat anchor with marginal components, but there are adjustments that can be made on the cranks and stem as the kids grows so I bought it. If it's going to be a serious race machine, I think Kona sells a frame only in 24" that may be the way to go.

24" bikes basically suck. I tried to find a small 26" frame but there just wasn't enough standover clearance for my son and I wasn't ready to sign him up for the Morman Tabernacle Choir just yet.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry should have been more specific:

He'll be 7 in a couple weeks.

Talking about XC racing, on mostly single track - in Arkasnas so it can be a little rough.

Don't necc need FS, but want it to have good shifting, and good brakes...if he doesn't have both of those, I'm worried he'll not like it...

He likes he BMX bike for all purpose "neighborhood riding" but that's a far cry from trail/hill riding...

not exactly sure on height....he's in the 99% percentile for height at his age...figure the heigh of your average 8-9 yr old...

thnx.
n

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
found it

this is slammin':

$580 retail & my LBS is not a Specialized dealer...which would mean going to a rival team to buy a bike at retail, which would suck, but this is the only true XC racer for kids I can find, short of going custom.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
The owners of my LBS just put thier 10 year old on a small SC Julianna Superlight. It is a hair too big.....but he will grow into it.

mtnbikej

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Depending on the height of your son the Specialized Hotroc FSR may be the best choice. It's a bit small if your kid is tall, mine tested one and he looked cramped on it but the suspension really works and with some ingenuity the shock might be replaced with one air sprung.

If you're looking for a XC rig the Specialized is the best followed closely by the Kona Hula. For FR or DH the best ones I've seen are Kona's, the Stinky Jr and the Stuff Jr.

Two years ago I was on the market for my son's XC bike, he was 6 at the time and options were pretty limited. Most of the bikes were heavy and cro-mo, the Al frames were scarse and all came with lame components. I also considered a 26" frame with 24" wheels but that was a lost more expensive and 26" bikes for a kid are very hard to find and the ones that can be found are too expensive (Titus, Ventana, etc).

What I did is that bought a Diamondback Octane 24 and upgraded the components to Deore and LX quality. The bike is still a tad heavy (thanks to the fork) but works ok fir him.

Here's a pic.

After doing some DH on the HT the kid wants a fullsusser but that will have to wait until he grows a bit more. Affordable FS bikes are extremely hard to find on smaller sizes.

Now we're considering road bikes for training and this will be his birthday gift.

This is a KDR1000 and will prolly get a rodie for myself in the same deal if mom approves ;)

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
DiRt DeViL said:
Now we're considering road bikes for training and this will be his birthday gift.

This is a KDR1000 and will prolly get a rodie for myself in the same deal if mom approves ;)
Just keep in mind that Felt also makes one of these:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.