Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the idea of the high engagement hubs like Chris King, but can't get over the swarm of bumble bees sound they make. I know these are some of the best hubs out there, but are there any other hubs that perform similarly without the bzzzzzzz sound? I read Hope hubs are even louder. I weight 210 and need 6 bolt disc hubs with high durability I plan to lace them up to some Mavic 819 UST rims. If nothing out there fits this description, I guess I'll just go with the proven XT hubs (M756).

·
fan of maple syrup
1,581 Posts
Those Stealth Hubs look sweet. I've not heard of them until now. But at the same time, I don't mind Chris King and the Angry Bees - a guy I ride with has them and it's a kinda cool sound - much more subtle than Hopes and Hadleys.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
That stupid Stealth page has been unchanged for at least a couple of years- the hubs are vapourware.

·
Wanderer
855 Posts
If you keep the ringdrive in CK hubs well greased then they really are not very loud.

I personally like the sound as it lets other riders on the local trails know I am behind them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The new (2008) XT hubs and the 2007 and later XTR hubs are now 36 point engagement. Not as many 'clicks' as some of the other brands, but a big improvement over the older shimano designs--and they are quiet. (I swapped out a Hope ProII rear hub for the XTR because the noise of the Pro II drove me nuts.) The XTR is really light at like 270g and the XT is still only about 330 or 339g. To me, the new shimano stuff seems like at lot of bang for the buck, expecially the XT at only like $80.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also like the shimano stuff because the XT uses a steel freehub, body and the XTR uses titanium. Many other hubs, use aluminum freehub bodys which can get chewed up by your cassette.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
m_beale1 said:
The new (2008) XT hubs and the 2007 and later XTR hubs are now 36 point engagement. Not as many 'clicks' as some of the other brands, but a big improvement over the older shimano designs--and they are quiet. (I swapped out a Hope ProII rear hub for the XTR because the noise of the Pro II drove me nuts.) The XTR is really light at like 270g and the XT is still only about 330 or 339g. To me, the new shimano stuff seems like at lot of bang for the buck, expecially the XT at only like $80.
I didn't know Shimano increased the engagement to 36 for 2008. That may be worth looking into, too bad they don't offer a 6 bolt disc option. What was the engagement count on the pre 2008 hubs? I wonder if the new freehub can be installed on a older hub?

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
glader60 said:
I didn't know Shimano increased the engagement to 36 for 2008. That may be worth looking into, too bad they don't offer a 6 bolt disc option. What was the engagement count on the pre 2008 hubs? I wonder if the new freehub can be installed on a older hub?
Pre-2008 was 18 point.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Hand/of/Midas said:
shimano hubs dont work for me, the whole unsealed bearing thing, id rather ride good hubs anyway.

ive played with a stealth hub before, it was a bmx hub, it has abo****e instant engagment. literaly, no slop at all. uses a cam drive or something. it was sweet, i want one to make my SS a silent shredder.
Shimano hubs may not have "sealed" cartridge bearings, but that does not mean they have no seals. Shimano XT and XTR are very good hubs and are very good value. Stealth went out of business a while back from what I remember.

·
flow where ever you go
1,528 Posts
My CKs have always been so quiet that I wondered what all the noise is about when people say they are "loud" or like an "angry beehive".

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Hand/of/Midas said:
shimano hubs dont work for me, the whole unsealed bearing thing, id rather ride good hubs anyway.

ive played with a stealth hub before, it was a bmx hub, it has abo****e instant engagment. literaly, no slop at all. uses a cam drive or something. it was sweet, i want one to make my SS a silent shredder.
You do realise that the "sealed" reference to cartridge bearings has absolutely nothing to do with protection from water, right? Whether a hub uses cup and cone, or "sealed" bearings has very little relation to whether it's a 'good' hub in terms of weather resistance. As many users of XT and XTR hubs can attest to.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/sealed-bearings.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.