Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently considered a career in law enforcement and was wondering if there was any police officers that ride and race mountain bikes. I now ride 3-4 days a week and would hope that there would be a similar opportunity to ride being a cop. Is this possible?

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Wrong place to post...

spartan034 said:
but then you have cops with the other passion, a passion for body checking bikers and writing tickets for speeding. :nono:
There's another thread to talk about that. Or start another one if you really feel that strongly about it. Not this thread.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
And then...

spartan034 said:
but then you have cops with the other passion, a passion for body checking bikers and writing tickets for speeding. :nono:
you also have people who come onto a forum post and shoot off their mouths in an obnoxious manner...but I try not to judge other forum members by that standard.:p

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
You'll have time just like any other career. Of course if your working graveyard it can sometimes be harder to get motivated--those hours are hard on the body.

Working a normal shift (5-8s or 4-10s) plus late calls, plus court, plus any overtime you might work it can add up to long weeks. And if any of this makes you concerned for even a moment then law enforcement isn't for you.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Yeah, double-edged sword

ScottW said:
You'll have time just like any other career. Of course if your working graveyard it can sometimes be harder to get motivated--those hours are hard on the body.

Working a normal shift (5-8s or 4-10s) plus late calls, plus court, plus any overtime you might work it can add up to long weeks. And if any of this makes you concerned for even a moment then law enforcement isn't for you.
You work lots of hours...but you get paid for it to buy cool bike stuff...then you're too tired to ride...but you get decent vacation and holidays for trips to good MTB locations...then your days off early in one's career may be in the middle of the week...but the trails are open and free of weekend warriors clogging up the fast, flowy sections...then one's fitness level is improved greatly from the riding you do get to do...but many of your fellow workers get overweight and stressed...but you don't. Nothing is perfect.:D

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
Donut Passion? I'd love to overhear LEO's argue donuts vs muffins. I'll bet it's like 26" vs 29er or Suspension vs Rigid.

But then have Night Sticks and Tazers to truly settle the matter.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
My old town of Ball State fame, used to have a mountie...until someone shot the horse.

TNC what city are you thinking of that pays officers enough to pay normal bills, have extra money for cool bike stuff, AND good benefits? I might know some officers interested in a lateral transfer. ;)

If you're interested in law enforcement, it's a career for the passionate. Like my job, the pay isn't worth the risk, so there is something else that calls you to it. Hours vary from each department, but you should still have time to ride. You might have to invest in good lights and take advantage of late evenings or early mornings, but it can be done.

Heh, if you really want a job where you can ride or play almost whenever you want, take my path and become a firefighter / medic. 24 on 48 off. Doesn't get much better than that. Of course if you're at a busy house and up all 24 hours it can take both days of rest to recover.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any Police officers have the passion?

Seeing as how my previous post was deleted, i wanted to know if there are any cops that ride and race frequently. I am considering a career in law enforcement and want to see if my passion for cycling can be a part of this career choice.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
LOL!...well...

emtnate said:
My old town of Ball State fame, used to have a mountie...until someone shot the horse.

TNC what city are you thinking of that pays officers enough to pay normal bills, have extra money for cool bike stuff, AND good benefits? I might know some officers interested in a lateral transfer. ;)

If you're interested in law enforcement, it's a career for the passionate. Like my job, the pay isn't worth the risk, so there is something else that calls you to it. Hours vary from each department, but you should still have time to ride. You might have to invest in good lights and take advantage of late evenings or early mornings, but it can be done.

Heh, if you really want a job where you can ride or play almost whenever you want, take my path and become a firefighter / medic. 24 on 48 off. Doesn't get much better than that. Of course if you're at a busy house and up all 24 hours it can take both days of rest to recover.
My city...and probably many others if you do it right.:D Remember, it's not always just about the job and how much you get paid. There are plenty of rich people who blew their load...even before the current financial situation.

First, marry a woman you can stay married to...in my case over 35 years so far...and save the financial and emotional pain that about 50% of the population goes through. Or don't get married at all.

Second, don't have kids. We have enough people to go around, and you get to remain somewhat of a kid yourself.:D

Third, buy and live in a home you can afford. I think the current state of economic affairs farily well explains this one.

Fourth, don't buy the top-of-the-line of everything that exists in every category...especially motor vehicles. Buy smart.

Fifth, get a part time job doing the thing that is related to your hobby or non-career passion. Then you can buy the top-of-the-line stuff in relative mass quantities...at least related to your passion.

Sixth, know what's truly important in life.

Hey...this won't work for everyone. It worked for me.

·
hehe ...you said "member"
1,121 Posts
darth tracer said:
Seeing as how my previous post was deleted, i wanted to know if there are any cops that ride and race frequently. I am considering a career in law enforcement and want to see if my passion for cycling can be a part of this career choice.
Deleted? With some of the stuff I've seen here you've got my interest peaked...:skep:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.