Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

· Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've avoided the Strava bandwagon for years—never had it, never cared.

But I can't help but notice it seems everywhere these days—as in, huge numbers of bikers who can't seem to live without it.

So here's my question: if I don't give a flip about comparing my performance from one ride to the next...and don't give a flip about how fast other people ride the same trail/segment I'm on...and I definitely am not looking for the "most popular rides and segments," then is there any point to using Strava???

My guess is "no." But I just want to be sure I'm not missing out on some huge feature that I would love regardless.

Thanks!
Scott

· Registered
469 Posts
I use it mainly to track my performance. It validates the hard work of getting into better shape knowing how far the ride was, time, calories burned, etc. If you dont care about that...dont use it. I dont compare myself to other riders or use the social aspects of it. Its purely a tool to give me data about MY rides and how I am doing. It was nice to see how fast I was on my old bike and directly compare it to my new bike.

· Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,715 Posts
Currently, for me, it’s fun as hell, as I have consistently been getting PR’s, top ten trophies, and KOM’s. It‘s proof of hard work, and progress. But as I age out of PR’s (I’m 55), it will probably lose some of it’s appeal for me. But my friends are aging, too.

· Registered
469 Posts
Currently, for me, it's fun as hell, as I have consistently been getting PR's, top ten trophies, and KOM's. It's proof of hard work, and progress. But as I age out of PR's (I'm 55), it will probably lose some of it's appeal for me. But my friends are aging, too.
For me my PR's (Personal Records for the non Strava people..lol) are on the ride because I am losing weight and getting into better shape so I have at least one PR on every ride...When I take notice is when I have like 20 PRs on a ride. That has happened a few times...those are breakthrough days!

· EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,333 Posts
I do it for miles, and PR's. don't care about the fancy features nor any live crap.

I ride, shower, eat, get around to uploading GPS sometime before next ride, check
PR's and miles and time in saddle. that's it. if it were any more complcated I'd chuck it.

My job is more complex than anything outside my job, I ain't got time nor desire for endless stats and graphs and BS. sweat on my top tube is what I seek.

· Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the perspectives. While I push myself sometimes, I'm not into personal records and generally avoid any form of competition (whether with myself or anyone else), so it sounds like I'm not really missing much with Strava. :)

· Registered
6,564 Posts
As with most things in life, if you have a use for it, use it. If you don't have a use for it, don't use it.
Not much more to it than that.

I use it for myself. I don't compare my times with anyone else. I use it to track my miles mainly.

· Registered
19,418 Posts
I use it mainly to track my performance.
Same here, these days pr's are what's most important to me, also all of the other stats you mentioned. A top 10 or kom is nice but it ain't happening on most of the segments I ride, too many pros around taking that honor.

Anyway, the basic version is free so why not download it and see for yourself whether or not you like it?

· Registered
139 Posts
One aspect I like is the ability to track mileage by bike. I use mileage as a proxy for maintenance timing for suspension, chain wear, drivetrain replacement, etc. It also helps with selling the bike, since you can give an accurate accounting of the amount and nature of the rides on the bike to prospective buyers.

I do like seeing performance against my previous efforts, but more to just look for areas where I might be getting lazy or need to brush up on skills. I don't use it to compare performance against others - like someone else said, I don't need or want a second job.

· Registered
879 Posts
I use mine to track miles and places I've rode. If I'm feeling like it, I might even go for a couple PR's.

I don't take it too seriously though. That's what ruins riding.

· since 4/10/2009
37,141 Posts
yeah, I use it for myself. Primarily for miles tracked, number of rides per year, hours ridden, climbing totals, etc. PRs are something I pay somewhat less attention to. But it is nice to know when I am finished with my ride, that the reason I felt like crap on that ride is at least somewhat related to the fact that I rode it faster, even though I usually didn't feel any faster. I do also keep in touch with a couple old friends on there and that's the ONLY social media they use. so I also use it for the random odd heckles directed their way about some ride they did.

· Evolutionsverlierer
3,094 Posts
I use it as a reality check to show myself how effin slow my sorry a** really is especially when I had one of those I still got in me rides not that I ever got it in me in the first place and I get a bit too full of myself.

That keeps me from buying fancy parts because I know I am not worthy.

· No Clue Crew
7,787 Posts
As apparently everyone already said and I’ll echo. Logging mile, tracking one bike vs another and monitoring my own performance, which is most important.

If the OP doesn’t wish to track his own performance, sounds like he ain’t missing anything with Strava.

· Registered
2,773 Posts
I like it mostly for tracking bicycle gear. It's a tad clunky as you are unable to change gear from ride to ride, but overall it tracks.
You replace a chain, it keeps track of miles, etc.
If you want to swap a trail tire for a race tire and back, you can't track that as easily.

I have my privacy settings configured for "followers" meaning the few friends I have can see, nobody else can. That means people can't just randomly find me and want to be my friend because they saw I rode the same trail that day.
I've had a few people send me a request that have searched my name (because they know me) but I've ignored them.

Other than that it's good to see how my progress increases or declines.
I can't come here and tell you that I PR every ride from the one previous and I can't say I own more than one KOM (not sure it even stands today) so I can't come here to brag about how fast I am and have Strava prove it.

You can download and install Strava and make up a silly name that nobody will guess. Note: I will note search for SWriverstone user today to add as a friend.
Then keep all your rides private. You will not show up on a leaderboard if you do that -so if you do want to be compared to others, the privacy option won't work for you.
I do find myself looking at segments after a ride because I am curious if I am as fast or slow as I felt. I have always been good about guessing my running pace or riding speed. Now I make it a game. If I start out good or bad, I'll guess my segment time early into the segment then check it later against my thought. Sometimes I'm like "no way did I go that fast today" because I felt like crap but somehow it was quicker than I expected. Likewise, I've felt quick only to see I really wasn't.

Strava works perfectly well for a person who doesn't "give a flip" about others. You can use it to track your own progress/problems and/or you can track your gear/maintenance.
I use Strava and Garmin both (redundant), plus lately as I travel I use Garmin to track where I have driven. I could use Strava as well if I chose to.
As the state continues to burn up, I can see all my bicycle rides, dirt bike rides and now some of the driving routes to vacation places and see that I've been in a lot of burnt areas, preburn.
I used a Garmin years ago when my dad and I visited Crater Lake, for no reason other than to show I was there, and it also could remind me that my dad and I visited because I've associated the two.
Having Strava will also allow you to search your own records. If you add a description (and now they have added a private notes area) or smartly name your activity to something better than "morning ride" (default), you can search for the name.
I log all the trail names at the OHV park when I ride my dirtbike there. It's helpful for me to see when the last time I rode a particular trail was. I will also input riders names of people I ride with. I could add your name to my activity then search for it to see when that one ride happened that you and I met up for.
Some of the OHV trails are trails I have ridden my dirt bike on, and my mountain bike. I can search for the trail name (because I typed it in in my notes) to see anythime I've accessed the trail, regardless of my method of transportation.

I have zero social media platforms and I still use Strava all the time for rides and activities, or otherwise.
One neat thing recently is I imported the GPS track to Google Earth. Then in Google Earth I review old aerial photography to see lake level and I now have GPS tracks riding in the middle of a lake because the lake no longer has water there. It looks neat and serves zero purpose in life.

You may get hooked and find yourself competing with strangers. Or you may not. I do hope you try it out and when you like it I hope you can become a person that realizes Strava isn't going to make you an irresponsible individual who goes out with only intention of winning that day, even when it means pushing a 7 year old child over the edge to his death. No matter because the parent couldn't catch you anyway.

· Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the added info-I might check it out. I'm admittedly probably a bit biased against it because app developers universally seem to think these days that everything in life is about "Community!" and "Doing things with friends!" and "Seeing what everyone else is up to!" [Add cheery music in the background with smiling 20-somethings staring at their phones and smiling harder.]

I just wish for once I could download an app that doesn't immediately start yelling at me to "Join the fun!" or "Log onto the Community Board NOW!" or "Become part of our growing community!"

I'm not a misanthrope (I'm here after all!)...but I value solitude and privacy and am turned off by the "Everything is a party where EVERYONE CAN JOIN!" concept which drives app development these days. :) I miss apps that were designed for a solitary user-and don't require a constant connection to the mothership.

· slow
8,177 Posts
I use it to check trail conditions and to connect with rider friends who don't use other social media. If I scan down through the feed of local riders, I can usually find a friend who's ridden a certain trail in the past few days and find out what conditions are like, especially in the shoulder seasons when conditions vary due to weather.

· Registered
772 Posts
I signed up for an account years ago, but never used it more than a couple times. I completely deleted the account recently as out of the blue I started getting a ton of notifications people were following me, none of which I knew and most were across the world. Then I got a notification my password was compromised. I don't quite have a lot of trust in their site security as a heads up.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts