Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help. I'm in bike limbo. I love both my bikes and they do overlap in use some but they are really two very different bikes and I can't take them both on the same ride. I want a bike that climbs and rails smooth twisty sinlgetrack, and snaps when I stand and hammer it like my HH100x but handles drops, rough chunky climbs, and descents like my 6.6.

The new Blur LT and unnamed Intense trail bike have me wondering if such a thing is coming from Titus.

Adustable travel (on the fly would be even better) between 5-6 inches. HA 69/67. BB height between 13.5" and 13.75". Frame weight with RP23 under 7 lbs (Intense is claiming 6.25# for theirs), but built to take some abuse......and with a Titus stiff rearend. Total weight under 30lbs.

Now we're talkin'. Is this even possible?

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
KRob said:
Help. I'm in bike limbo. I love both my bikes and they do overlap in use some but they are really two very different bikes and I can't take them both on the same ride. I want a bike that climbs and rails smooth twisty sinlgetrack, and snaps when I stand and hammer it like my HH100x but handles drops, rough chunky climbs, and descents like my 6.6.

The new Blur LT and unnamed Intense trail bike have me wondering if such a thing is coming from Titus.

Adustable travel (on the fly would be even better) between 5-6 inches. HA 69/67. BB height between 13.5" and 13.75". Frame weight with RP23 around 7 lbs, but built to take some abuse......and with a Titus stiff rearend. Total weight under 30lbs.

It would be nice to see a slight tweak to the Motolite to something a bit lower and slacker...or a 2nd version of the Motolite, like a Motolite 4X.

I like the looks of the new Blur LT. I really would like some saddle time on one. I wonder if it is flexy?

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
KRob said:

Adustable travel (on the fly would be even better) between 5-6 inches. HA 69/67. BB height between 13.5" and 13.75". Frame weight with RP23 around 7 lbs, but built to take some abuse......and with a Titus stiff rearend. Total weight under 30lbs.

Except for the adjustable travel, aren't you talking about the ti el guapo?

·
Registered
13,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Vespasianus said:
Except for the adjustable travel, aren't you talking about the ti el guapo?
Well, yes, sort of....Except cheaper. (and the adjustability would be nice) :thumbsup:

I wondered if I could accomplish nearly the same thing with a EG with RP23/Talas36 combo and lightish wheels and components.... or for that matter with my 6.6 (except the stiff rearend part, of course).

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
KRob said:
Well, yes. Except cheaper. (and the adjustability would be nice) :thumbsup:

I wondered if I could accomplish nearly the same thing with a EG with RP23/Talas36 combo and lightish wheels and components.... or for that matter with my 6.6 (except the stiff rearend part, of course).
You could get close with a Supermoto. My SuMo has VERY similar geometry numbers (BB 13.75, travel 5.5/6.5, HA 66-67-ish) but the frame weight is closer to 8 pounds...although, the SuMo has adjustable travel.

edit: btw, I believe username Assclown had a 31# SuMo.
edit#2: actually it was 33lbs

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
So far I don't feel I've lacked for anything going up, OR down with the EG. It pedals so amazingly well, with such a comfortable riding position it's like cheating. For real, it's all I'd ever want for long XC AND most FR/DH.

That new BLT2 looks really tight though. I'd love to catch a ride on one.

·
Registered
13,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tscheezy said:
You just described a 5.5 Spot. Yer welcome.
Funny you should mention that because I originally had included that exact pondering at the end of my original post... then deleted it so as not to muddy the waters. Now you've gone and muddied them. Thanks. (Nuthin' wrong with the Spot)

Can the 5.5Spot take a 160mm fork without messing things up? I really like the idea of the Intense trail bike but am a bit leery because of the flexy rearend and alignment issues I've had with my 6.6.

I guess I am describing a light Super Moto, aren't I? Titus has been doing the adjustable geometry/travel thing for a long time with the SM, ML, and Switchblade.

Hmm. Well that sounds like a step back in time when you put it like that.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
I do think the "Handsome Focker" (El G) would do what you are requesting for sure, or a look at the new Helius AM is worth a nosey too......

We are not really seeing the full potential of the El G I feel is safe to say........

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
i agree with BA... i have by EG built like an XC bike... but it's an XC bike that can do stuff that i won't do (yet! ;) )... i even used the Fox Float 36 as opposed to a TALAS to save a little weight 'cause i feel no need to shorten the fork... granted i have yet to take it on any really long steep grinding climbs of 3 or 4 miles yet (but i will be real soon)...

anyway, i have never tried a 6.6, 5 spot, new BLT (i've tried the old one), or nomad (or if i have, i forgot)...

if the new BLT has overcome (what i perceive to be) the lateral stiffness issue, it should be a very nice ride (actually, it would be anyway)! also the SC website says the new BLT is designed around a 140mm fork but can take a 160mm (as opposed to being desinged for 160mm)...

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I've run the 165mm 55ATA on my Spot and thought it rode great. DT claims it makes him nervous to see 160mm forks on Spots due to the kind of riding it encourages folks to do on a frame not designed for that specifically (that's why the current RFX exists), but the 09 Spot will have a reinforced head tube area for that exact reason.

I find adjustable travel to be something that sounds nice on paper, but in practice is not a significant benefit. I usually decide I like one setting better than the other and then leave it there. Or, with the Spot over the past years, the bike could just grow with the current travel offerings. 5.1 -> 5.3 -> 5.5 inches just by swapping rockers.

You could also consider an Endorphin. Along with the Spot that is the best riding trailbike that I've tried. That also seems to be what all the Titus owners are upgrading to these days.

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
tscheezy said:
I've run the 165mm 55ATA on my Spot and thought it rode great. DT claims it makes him nervous to see 160mm forks on Spots due to the kind of riding it encourages folks to do on a frame not designed for that specifically (that's why the current RFX exists), but the 09 Spot will have a reinforced head tube area for that exact reason.
I would think most Spot riders, even with a 160mm fork are not coming close to the limits of the Spot's abilities. Hell, most RFX riders probably aren't coming close to the Spot limits either.

I'd like to ride a Spot. Looks like a nice trailbike.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,692 Posts
dog said:
i agree with BA... i have by EG built like an XC bike... but it's an XC bike that can do stuff that i won't do (yet! ;) )... i even used the Fox Float 36 as opposed to a TALAS to save a little weight 'cause i feel no need to shorten the fork... granted i have yet to take it on any really long steep grinding climbs of 3 or 4 miles yet (but i will be real soon)...

anyway, i have never tried a 6.6, 5 spot, new BLT (i've tried the old one), or nomad (or if i have, i forgot)...

if the new BLT has overcome (what i perceive to be) the lateral stiffness issue, it should be a very nice ride (actually, it would be anyway)! also the SC website says the new BLT is designed around a 140mm fork but can take a 160mm (as opposed to being desinged for 160mm)...
I rode a BLT2 in Downieville. It's a great all around bike (stiff, pedals well, etc) but the rear is just not that plush.

·
6,360 Posts
Sounds like the 09 Spot will be the new RFX? Which makes good sense IMO.

As for the Endo, so which is it? A Guapo/RFX-y type bike or ML-y type bike? If it truly pedals as well as a ML or Spot, yet can still hit FR stuff (which is what I've heard) than it must be a hell of a bike. Far supirior to either the Spot or ML.

·
6,360 Posts
I Don't Know...

geolover said:
I would think most Spot riders, even with a 160mm fork are not coming close to the limits of the Spot's abilities. Hell, most RFX riders probably aren't coming close to the Spot limits either.

I'd like to ride a Spot. Looks like a nice trailbike.
The only time I've ridden with an RFX rider on stuff that it could really have fun with was in NC (lots of good jumps). And that guy was pretty freakin good (Mark owner of T2 Bikes). I was behind him doing what he was doing until we came on this section with this snow board type half pipe-ish thing on one side that was over your head high, and I watched this guy do a preload jump thingy up into the the top where he pulled a near fully flat table off the kicker right in front of me. Now he had ridden that trail several times, and it was my first and only run ever, but that's something I simply don't know how to do.... certainly not to the extent that he did it.

Just imagin if he'd been on an EG. ;)

·
Registered
13,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tscheezy said:
You could also consider an Endorphin. Along with the Spot that is the best riding trailbike that I've tried.
As you know, I really, really dug the Spot I rode at I-bike. Well-rounded, rock solid, stable in the rough, flickable, good carver, and good climber. Felt a lot more plush and AM trailbikey than the ML to me. I'm sure you could set up a ML to feel close though with proper build.

I also see a couple of the new spots that have been built up over on the Turner board have the Float/TALAS 36 forks too so I may post over there and see how that's working out.

Endorphin's a good idea too though. It's a lot more of an RFX/EGish type bike than the 5.5 spot/ML despite its travel, but for the price difference, if I was going to go with a burlier spot or ML I'd go with an EG or '07-08 RFX and build them air sprung and with a bit lighter wheels.

I am anxious to throw a leg over the new Blur LT and the new Intense Trailbike at I-bike this year. This may be the Holy Grail I'm looking for. Just wish Titus had something in the works too.

I'm already registered. You going this year?

I agree with you on the adjustability thing.... but it would still be nice knowing it was there. I'd likely leave it in the 6" mode most of the time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.