Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having ridden SRAM X1 for several years I´m now on 2x11 XT M8000 with 11-40T cassette.

Looking at going 1x but current 11-46T is not that interesting and despite 11-42 with various extenders looks to get ok review, I was wondering if not Shimano is planning on something like a 10-46 or 10-50 ala Eagle?

·
Registered
9,497 Posts
Having ridden SRAM X1 for several years I´m now on 2x11 XT M8000 with 11-40T cassette.

Looking at going 1x but current 11-46T is not that interesting and despite 11-42 with various extenders looks to get ok review, I was wondering if not Shimano is planning on something like a 10-46 or 10-50 ala Eagle?
10 requires a new freehub, if Shimano was going to do that, I would assume they would have when they introduced 11 speed.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,923 Posts
Shimano is slow to pick up on trends. I doubt it. Not until they decide to introduce a 12spd cassette.

Why is 11-46 not interesting, yet 10-46 is?

Why not just put an xD freehub body on your bike and run an e.13 cassette, or a SRAM cassette? Are you one of those people who has to have matchy-matchy bike parts?

·
RAKC
7,606 Posts
Crap looks like shimano is going their own version of the XD driver.... I was happy that shimano wasn't doing that proprietary freehub bs that sram does.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,497 Posts
Crap looks like shimano is going their own version of the XD driver.... I was happy that shimano wasn't doing that proprietary freehub bs that sram does.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Did you even bother looking at the link? It's not new, it's 9 speed 9-26.

·
RAKC
7,606 Posts
No but seeing as they already have a design for it, we'll likely see it brought to further "speed" increases by Shimano.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Shimano made/makes a 9-tooth cog for small-wheeled bikes, folding commuters and such. I don't know how hard it would be to adapt that to an mtb application tho.

The Shimano Capreo hub and Cassette
Canfield brothers made a kit to do so and a few others (it might have been Rob English) also adapted them to different cassette parts. They were 10 speed and used a Canfield hub and freehub body. Canfield discontinued it i think? probably a mix of lack of demand and market options. 9 tooth is really pretty small for a chain to wrap round and is probably best used as an occasional/overdrive type gear i'd expect...

with 11-46 from shimano, and easy options to make them 11-49/50 from wolftooth & one up, i'm guessing we might see a bigger range. i also believe i might have heard an xtr 11-46 is a possibility - which would be nice as XT is a weighty bit of kit - worth it though!

·
Registered
9,497 Posts
No but seeing as they already have a design for it, we'll likely see it brought to further "speed" increases by Shimano.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Why would you think that? If they were going to do it they would have when they released 1x11.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts