Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
~*~*~*~*~
Joined
·
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if Bear Brook or Pawtucaway or Harold Parker or anyplace in So NH - No MA is ridable? Packed down by by snowmobiles maybe or snowshoers.

Mine Falls in Nashua is 80% ridable, packed down by walkers & xc skiers. It's bumpy in a lot of places, but it's better than nothing.

With a 4 day weekend coming up & cold temps to keep things icy, I'd love to get out for a good ride.
 

·
SSasquatch
Joined
·
535 Posts
I rode FOMBA Saturday morning and the conditions were fantastic. 20F (8:00am) made the wet snow from the day before harden up nicely. Of course, none of the biking specific trails are ridable right now, but there is alot of snomachine activity now and the trails are packed well.
Sunday I rode the snomachine trails in Canterbury and they too are in great shape. The snomachine trails in Canterbury are much more "technical" than those at FOMBA. Lots of twists and turns and ups and downs. The snomachine trails at FOMBA are flatter, wider, and less of a challange.

Singletrack is tough to come by right now, but the snomachine trails sure beat the trainer.
 

·
Black Lion
Joined
·
4,431 Posts
oldbroad said:
Anyone know if Bear Brook or Pawtucaway or Harold Parker or anyplace in So NH - No MA is ridable? Packed down by by snowmobiles maybe or snowshoers.

Mine Falls in Nashua is 80% ridable, packed down by walkers & xc skiers. It's bumpy in a lot of places, but it's better than nothing.

With a 4 day weekend coming up & cold temps to keep things icy, I'd love to get out for a good ride.
I know it is a haul for you, but the Trail of Tears down the Cape is 99 percent free of snow.

Greg
 

·
fried stuff with cheese
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
galleywench said:
I rode FOMBA Saturday morning and the conditions were fantastic. 20F (8:00am) made the wet snow from the day before harden up nicely. Of course, none of the biking specific trails are ridable right now, but there is alot of snomachine activity now and the trails are packed well.
Sunday I rode the snomachine trails in Canterbury and they too are in great shape. The snomachine trails in Canterbury are much more "technical" than those at FOMBA. Lots of twists and turns and ups and downs. The snomachine trails at FOMBA are flatter, wider, and less of a challange.

Singletrack is tough to come by right now, but the snomachine trails sure beat the trainer.

I've been looking for places to winter ride around Concord. Where are the trails in Canterbury?
 

·
SSasquatch
Joined
·
535 Posts
Locotiki said:
I've been looking for places to winter ride around Concord. Where are the trails in Canterbury?
The snoshakers (snomachine club for Canterbury and Northfield) have a great local trail system that includes some of the major snomachine routes and many smaller ones that are really fun on a bike in the snow. I usually ride from my house but the section that goes right by my house hasn't been packed down very well yet so I have been riding from the center of town. You can park at the elementary school up the hill from the town center and can pick up one of the trails behind the school (directly behind the playing fields looking south from the school parking lot). When you pick up the trails, if you follow them east you will head out to schodac (sp?) conservation area and eventually to Loudon or East Canterbury and Shaker Village. If you follow them west you'll end up on the power lines (after several road crossings) and can go up through the golf course and onto Northfield or down to Concord from there.
I also like to ride up Oak hill in Concord from the backside this time of year. There is a snomachine route that goes up the backside from Hoit road in Loudon.

Most of the routes are either doubletrack or fireroads in the summer, so no singletrack, but the way snomachines mound up the snow into berms and waves can make for a really fun ride.

There are maps online at snoshakers.com. PM me if you are interested in hooking up for some rides this winter, my normal riding buddies are pretty much refusing to get off the couch until April, so I have been spending alot of time alone on the bike and it gets abit spooky out there alone at night.
 

·
customized
Joined
·
3,123 Posts
Keep an eye out for a couple idiots soon.

galleywench said:
The snoshakers (snomachine club for Canterbury and Northfield) have a great local trail system that includes some of the major snomachine routes and many smaller ones that are really fun on a bike in the snow. I usually ride from my house but the section that goes right by my house hasn't been packed down very well yet so I have been riding from the center of town. You can park at the elementary school up the hill from the town center and can pick up one of the trails behind the school (directly behind the playing fields looking south from the school parking lot). When you pick up the trails, if you follow them east you will head out to schodac (sp?) conservation area and eventually to Loudon or East Canterbury and Shaker Village. If you follow them west you'll end up on the power lines (after several road crossings) and can go up through the golf course and onto Northfield or down to Concord from there.
I also like to ride up Oak hill in Concord from the backside this time of year. There is a snomachine route that goes up the backside from Hoit road in Loudon.

Most of the routes are either doubletrack or fireroads in the summer, so no singletrack, but the way snomachines mound up the snow into berms and waves can make for a really fun ride.

There are maps online at snoshakers.com. PM me if you are interested in hooking up for some rides this winter, my normal riding buddies are pretty much refusing to get off the couch until April, so I have been spending alot of time alone on the bike and it gets abit spooky out there alone at night.
 

·
SSasquatch
Joined
·
535 Posts
Just got back from a lunch ride at FOMBA and wanted to let everyone know that Ladyslipper is fully rideable (a little sketchy in places, but plenty of traffic to pack it down). I also tried Fireline and it looked promising for the first 1/4 - 1/2 mile with plenty of traffic to make it rideable, but soon kindof fizzled out and became literally a single (bike) track. I didn't have enough time to follow it through all the way, but even with only one other bike track in front of me it was rideable in most spots. Snowshoer's packed everything down reasonably well.
The snomachine trails were all in great shape and spent most of my time on them.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top