Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been 'surfing the net' looking for one, since I'm set to get me a frame as soon as they become available, and would like to see a nice built out. Also, anybody knows the sizing? I'm 5'8'' and in the mmmbop sizing, I woud use an 18" but the Troof also comes in 16", so am I still a 18'' or now is a 16'' what I need?

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Color has been changed from "Other Red" to "Vivid Red" as well. Hopefully it's a nice shade IRL, cause that yellow curry one is pretty disgusting.

·
Off the back...
2,285 Posts
Fix the Spade said:
The Troof/Bagger 288 has 5mm more bb drop and a 1deg slacker head angle, but otherwise the geo is identical to the Pig. If you were an 18 Pig you'd be an 18 Troof, the Pig comes in 16" as well.

Haven't seen any pictures of a built up Troof yet, probably won't until production frames start landing.

See here: http://www.ragleybikes.com/2011/01/ragley-troof-data-sheet/
Finally! A picture/render of the frame in red! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fully built Ragley Troof

Just finished building my Troof!
Got the only frame that was available from CRC, and I'm pretty sure that was the frame exposed on the Hotlines London Show (photos at Bikeradar), it even came with stickers on, unlike other Ragleys that come with a sticker sheet.
It's a size 17. Frame weight is 2.200 kg.
Components choice was based on CRC january sale: Rockshox Lyric Coil U-Turn 1.5 steerer, Cane Creek headset, Thomson Stem, Easton carbon post, Ragley saddle and Wiser carbon bar, Shimano crank, Blackspire Dewlie chainguide, XT front der., X9 rear der. and shifters, Flow rims, Nukeproof 12mm thru rear hub and Hope front, Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4 rear and Big Betty GGC front tires, twenty6 pedals.
Took the photos and then took her for it's first ride...
First ride impressions: WOW!!! It's a trail scalpel. Way heavier than my mmmBop, but inspires a lot of confidence on the downs, and the geometry is better suited for me (16" mmmBop, I'm 178 cm tall). The steeper seat angle makes it able to climb anything you have the lungs and legs to handle (mine are pretty weak at the moment). That combination of steep seat angle with slack head angle and long top tube is definitely here to stay! Nice work Brant!

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sweet! Lucky u! And yours will be like a limited edition....

We have to wait till May...hmmm... Still time to decide on a Troof or Pig....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Brant wants to drive us crazy with the 2011 Ragleys... There're a LOT of questions: first you have to decide the fork travel: 120mm (piglet), 140-150mm (pig or pig X, standart or swopout) or 160-180mm (Bagger or Troof). After deciding the travel (and head angle) you have to decide the frame material, steel VS True temper OX steel (standart or swopout dropouts) for the 140mm frames or steel VS aluminum for the 160 frames. I bet most buyers will go for the standart pig (in skwosh, just because of the color) or the bagger, because of the steel is real hype... I'm obviously not a steel convert, since I have an mmmBop and a Troof, and I don't think that the ride quality of steel will be that superior to an aluminum frame (with fat tires and a carbon post and same geo) to justify the weight and corrosion (I live near the sea)... Anyway I think the Troof will be the least sold one, as was the mmmBop. People riding hardtails tend to be purists, so a steel frame is really tempting... My advice: go for the Pig X (swopout) on the 140mm travel option or the bagger on the 160mm option, unless you're a weight weenie on recovery, like myself, then go for the Troof...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Going to use a 150mm fork... and now I'm kinda swaying from Troof to pig cos I really like the skwosh color and also to try out steel HT to see what's the hype is all about....hmmm...

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you're going with a 150mm fork, go for the Pig (X optional). If you're using a 1 1/8 steerer you can even fine tune the geometry with the choice of 44 headsets from Nukeproof (with or without outer cups on the bottom - slightly slacker angles (0.3-0.4°?) and about 3 mm higher BB height with external bottom cups).
The skwosh ones are really beautiful. Color wasn't much of an issue to me, since I have a friend that paints frames. I was planning to paint my Troof dark yellow (skwosh - my jeep is yellow too), but I fell in love with the "ugly curry" Troof, so I may leave it that way...
I'm sure you'll enjoy your Pig, since I never read/heard of anyone not liking it...

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
alemão said:
Just finished building my Troof!
Got the only frame that was available from CRC, and I'm pretty sure that was the frame exposed on the Hotlines London Show (photos at Bikeradar), it even came with stickers on, unlike other Ragleys that come with a sticker sheet.
It's a size 17. Frame weight is 2.200 kg.
Components choice was based on CRC january sale: Rockshox Lyric Coil U-Turn 1.5 steerer, Cane Creek headset, Thomson Stem, Easton carbon post, Ragley saddle and Wiser carbon bar, Shimano crank, Blackspire Dewlie chainguide, XT front der., X9 rear der. and shifters, Flow rims, Nukeproof 12mm thru rear hub and Hope front, Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4 rear and Big Betty GGC front tires, twenty6 pedals.
Took the photos and then took her for it's first ride...
First ride impressions: WOW!!! It's a trail scalpel. Way heavier than my mmmBop, but inspires a lot of confidence on the downs, and the geometry is better suited for me (16" mmmBop, I'm 178 cm tall). The steeper seat angle makes it able to climb anything you have the lungs and legs to handle (mine are pretty weak at the moment). That combination of steep seat angle with slack head angle and long top tube is definitely here to stay! Nice work Brant!
...are you selling your mmmbop?

·
Registered
32 Posts
lokomonkey said:
...are you selling your mmmbop?
Not planning to sell it!
After I got the mmmBop I decided to sell my Ibis Mojo SL!
The mmmBop is a very capable trail bike and a lot lighter then the Troof (frame and fork only - 3 pounds). I'll keep it for when I have to go more up than down...

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alemão said:
Not planning to sell it!
After I got the mmmBop I decided to sell my Ibis Mojo SL!
The mmmBop is a very capable trail bike and a lot lighter then the Troof (frame and fork only - 3 pounds). I'll keep it for when I have to go more up than down...
.....so the mmmbop is a better climber? and how much your TROOF weights?

·
Registered
32 Posts
lokomonkey said:
.....so the mmmbop is a better climber? and how much your TROOF weights?
I didn't weight the complete bike, since I didn't have a scale available... The frame weights 2.200g, the fork weights 2.400g at least, the mmmBop frame weights about 1.600g, the fork (1 1/8 steerer, 20mm axle, revelation 150mm U-turn) about 1.800-1.900g, on the mmmBop I also use lighter rims (Stan's crest), chainguide (stinger), cranks (Deus), ... I think that the complete bike weight difference might be around 2.000g... On the mmmBop I have also a 22T granny ring, and I'm using a 24T granny on the Troof (will change soon to a 22T). That's noticeable and significant for a weak climber like me. In terms of geometry I didn't feel the front end of the Troof wandering during steep climbs at all. I think that the steeper seat angle (73.75° on the 17" Troof against 73° on the 16" mmmBop) and slightly longer top tube and heavy fork makes the front end feel even a bit more "planted" than the mmmBop during seated climbs... The Troof was able to climb anything I had the legs to climb... Where the weight really makes a difference are in those really steep climbs where I don't have the legs to pedal and have to carry those extra 2.000g slowly uphill (I would have to carry the mmmBop also, probably, but it would be easier)... ;)
In summary: the mmmBop is an awesome, very light and capable, trail bike to use with a 32mm stanchion fork. The Troof is a heavy duty all mountain/trail hardtail, to use a 35-36mm stanchion fork; as stiff as it gets, to do those miliseconds directions change during a downhill. It made me feel more confident on the downs, and I had a lot of fun! Part of this is due to the coil Lyric fork, and the very stiff (12mm thru rear 20mm thru front Stan's Flow rims) wheels, of course... So there's space in my heart for both bikes!

·
Registered
32 Posts
cycad said:
Alemao, perhaps u should try out a blue pig as well!
I'd love to ride the new Pig, the Pig X, the Bagger... Just to see if steel really makes a difference! But I'm out of excuses and cash to build another bike... ;)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
alemão said:
I didn't weight the complete bike, since I didn't have a scale available... The frame weights 2.200g, the fork weights 2.400g at least, the mmmBop frame weights about 1.600g, the fork (1 1/8 steerer, 20mm axle, revelation 150mm U-turn) about 1.800-1.900g, on the mmmBop I also use lighter rims (Stan's crest), chainguide (stinger), cranks (Deus), ... I think that the complete bike weight difference might be around 2.000g... On the mmmBop I have also a 22T granny ring, and I'm using a 24T granny on the Troof (will change soon to a 22T). That's noticeable and significant for a weak climber like me. In terms of geometry I didn't feel the front end of the Troof wandering during steep climbs at all. I think that the steeper seat angle (73.75° on the 17" Troof against 73° on the 16" mmmBop) and slightly longer top tube and heavy fork makes the front end feel even a bit more "planted" than the mmmBop during seated climbs... The Troof was able to climb anything I had the legs to climb... Where the weight really makes a difference are in those really steep climbs where I don't have the legs to pedal and have to carry those extra 2.000g slowly uphill (I would have to carry the mmmBop also, probably, but it would be easier)... ;)
In summary: the mmmBop is an awesome, very light and capable, trail bike to use with a 32mm stanchion fork. The Troof is a heavy duty all mountain/trail hardtail, to use a 35-36mm stanchion fork; as stiff as it gets, to do those miliseconds directions change during a downhill. It made me feel more confident on the downs, and I had a lot of fun! Part of this is due to the coil Lyric fork, and the very stiff (12mm thru rear 20mm thru front Stan's Flow rims) wheels, of course... So there's space in my heart for both bikes!

so basically the only 'disadvantage' of the TROOF is the extra 2kilos, that you have to carry uphill in the "impossible climbs"? and the troof is actually a better pedaler, due to the seat tube angle?.....interesting:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts