Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
If you don't want to buy a specific riding shoe, any skate shoe works good. But stay away from shoes with aggressive tread patterns, such as hiking shoes/boots.
You want the bottom of the shoe to be flat.
I personally would rock 5-10's, but they don't make em in 14 or 15.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
RED5 said:
Only shoe even worth truly considering are 5.10's. Anything else and you hate yourself.
I have a set of 5.10s. They are soon going to become my spares when I go back to skate shoes...

They grip great, no doubt, but the soles are too stiff and wont bend or conform to the pedal at all, plus it makes my foot sore after a full day of riding.

Likewise, the grip is too stiff, and While alot of jitter is cut down compared to a regular shoe, its not the end all of shoes there is still SOME shifting. once it shifts though, you really have to pull your foot all the way off the pedal and put it back down to get proper placement. Bothersome to say the least if you're flying through a rock garden.

So yes, 5.10's are great, but if you don't like ridiculously stiff shoes, I'd steer clear.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
William42 said:
I have a set of 5.10s. They are soon going to become my spares when I go back to skate shoes...

They grip great, no doubt, but the soles are too stiff and wont bend or conform to the pedal at all, plus it makes my foot sore after a full day of riding.

Likewise, the grip is too stiff, and While alot of jitter is cut down compared to a regular shoe, its not the end all of shoes there is still SOME shifting. once it shifts though, you really have to pull your foot all the way off the pedal and put it back down to get proper placement. Bothersome to say the least if you're flying through a rock garden.

So yes, 5.10's are great, but if you don't like ridiculously stiff shoes, I'd steer clear.
X2 I am also not a fan of stiff soles.

I have been using Vans shoes with Off The Wall Soles for close to 30 years (No not the same pair :D ) for BMX then MTB, and have yet to find anything I like better.
They are Easy to find,cheap,grip great, and you can wear them off the bike without turning your floors black :D

That said, The new 5.10 BA51C skate type shoes look interesting.

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
I actually want the shoes because of the stiff sole. Sometimes my feet hurt after doing a hard ride because my foot can smoosh around the pedal easier without that sole support.
Doing alot of drops and jumps can really take a toll on your feet without proper support.
But, unfortunately, none of the shoe companies make shoes for flat pedals in gunboat size, 14-15......12 or 13 max. Kind of a bummer for me.

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
mcrumble69 said:
X2 I am also not a fan of stiff soles.

I have been using Vans shoes with Off The Wall Soles for close to 30 years (No not the same pair :D ) for BMX then MTB, and have yet to find anything I like better.
They are Easy to find,cheap,grip great, and you can wear them off the bike without turning your floors black :D

That said, The new 5.10 BA51C skate type shoes look interesting.
I have off the walls...good shoe, they can fall apart rather quickly if your hard on them, I was doing flatland tailwhips and had a pair split open on me after about three months, kinda sad, these shoes wernt even dirty yet, to make matters worse the vans store I bought them at refuse to replace them (great way to keep customers shopping at your store - dumbasses). I bought another pair at dans comp and I use them just for casual wear now and use regular skate shoes for riding instead.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
jeffgothro said:
I have off the walls...good shoe, they can fall apart rather quickly if your hard on them, I was doing flatland tailwhips and had a pair split open on me after about three months, kinda sad, these shoes wernt even dirty yet, to make matters worse the vans store I bought them at refuse to replace them (great way to keep customers shopping at your store - dumbasses). I bought another pair at dans comp and I use them just for casual wear now and use regular skate shoes for riding instead.
That sucks!!! I guess I have been lucky over the years.
For me the uppers always outlasted the soles.

As for the sole stiffness mentioned above, The 5.10's aren't as stiff as clipless shoes but they are far stiffer than any skate style shoe I have tried except for the 661 offerings.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Vans since I started (one pair of Etnies). the Off The Wall sole is different on some shoes, I had some Geoff Rowley XL2 shoes that had amazing grip, but wore out pretty quick.

That said, wear the shoes on your feet

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
mcrumble69 said:
That sucks!!! I guess I have been lucky over the years.
For me the uppers always outlasted the soles.

As for the sole stiffness mentioned above, The 5.10's aren't as stiff as clipless shoes but they are far stiffer than any skate style shoe I have tried except for the 661 offerings.
Thats were they spit...torwards the front side of the sole about a quarter inch below the upper.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
jeffgothro said:
Thats were they spit...torwards the front side of the sole about a quarter inch below the upper.
Gotcha..I've had that happen a few times especially with the Slip-On's, but they were already pretty beat.
Most of my issues have been with the life of the sole.
When I was younger I used the same pair for both cycling and casual wear. They didn't last long.
Long pins can trash them pretty quick too.

For recent models I've had good luck with the Bucky Lasek and No Skool's
I got a year out of them before I needed to replace them.

·
Registered
456 Posts
if the 5.10 impacts are too stiff look at the 5.10 ba5ics they are the same rubber as the impacts

how does anyone wear regular skate shoes anymore? Vans, chucks? you gata be kidding me 5.10 is the only name in flat shoes anymore.

·
plasma donor
754 Posts
KomodoRider said:
if the 5.10 impacts are too stiff look at the 5.10 ba5ics they are the same rubber as the impacts

how does anyone wear regular skate shoes anymore? Vans, chucks? you gata be kidding me 5.10 is the only name in flat shoes anymore.
Easy. Don't worry about the label you're sporting, worry about comfort and functionality, combined with availability. Skate and court shoues do the job I'm looking for. Since I live close to a Nike outlet, I get Jordans even cheaper than Chucks, so I'm sporting Jordans. If them 5.10's make you run faster, or huck further, then by all means, rock 'em hard. For me, they're just shoes. Spending less on my pair means my kids can have a nicer pair. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
633 Posts
5.10's are too stiff? They are not even half as stiff as my clipless shoes! Now considering that you are comparing them to Vans which are about as stiff as a wet spaghetti noodle you might think they are stiff but they are just about on par with good basketball shoes. I rode Vans for a long time and they worked but my feet would always be tired after long days. When I got some 5.10's (Impact Mid) I was blown away at how much better they were. The grip is unbelievable and my feet/ankles do not hurt after long days. When they are new they do have a "Moon Boot" feeling until they pack down and they will F up your hardwood floors with black marks as the rubber is super soft but for riding flats nothing I have seen or tried has even come close.

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
i've never actually had good luck with skate shoes...they never like sticking to the pedals in wet, or other unideal conditions...granted, that may be because i wear out my skate shoes by skating.

the best luck i've had is nike running shoes

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
I've tried skate shoes and 661s, they all fall apart too quickly. I actually like the stiffer sole on the 5.10/Marz shoes, they are more like clipless.

I have 7 pair of Nikes fore general use, never really cared for them on the bike tho.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.