Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was set on a Van 36, but after finding out that I can't even change the damper oil myself or chnge the travel has me put off. I don't like having forks that can't be worked on by the consumer.

My Pike has been great and on top of that I can completely rebuild just about any part of the fork myself. I don't have to go forkless for 2 weeks to get stupid crap fixed. Even on top of that, Rockshox now has the best customer service.

I figured, hey, what could be better than a longer/stiffer Pike? Not much!

So for $495 I purchased a 2006 boxxer ride 133-178mm fork.

It will be kinda like having bar mounted travel control and poplock with the dual crown poking way up there. It should be cool to flip the compression lever with my thumb without leaving the handle bar.

Anyone else try a 06 boxxer ride? On a pack hopefully?

Will post review next weekend. I'm thinking the added weight will help in climbing and cornering.

·
mtbr member
79 Posts
nice fork all in all

I've been riding one for two months on a pack, compliments the bike nicely.
The negatives that bug me the most- kinda divey and wollowy (like all boxxers since day one), U turn winds intself down if not topped out, which pretty much makes the travel adjust usefull for climbing only. The ride can be pretty higgly jiggly as the fork has a funky
tendency to stroke oddly, which can be kinda hard steering straight on some trails, mostly flat rocky stuff. I swear I can feel the legs stroking at different rates in real rough twisty
stuff which I attribute to the one sprung leg set up (maybe I'm just thinking about it too much). You can hear, and feel, the elastomers knocking into each other. Paint chips off easily. 7lbs

Positives- Very very tuneable (compression on the fly, yummy) to suit all kinds of terrain. SIC makes a bolt on stem for the
crown that is rock solid. Rakes the bike out nicely, Definitely better on drops than the frames suspension. At speed the fork shines, the faster and rougher the terrain the more the fork
feels capable of soaking up all kinds of nasties. You can set the fork up with as low as a 21.25" AC. Overall very solid, could be more plush (elastomers ?) very capable.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
SSINGA said:
Care to explain this one?
More weight up front means it holds down a bit better. Less likely to wheelie.

In corners,having weight up front is ideal for making the bike neutral or oversteer. Understeer is the worst thing a bike can do. Having your weight bias too far in the rear will result in terrible washout in corners.

An ideal bike setup usually has oversteer. I have mine setup with a heavy 2.5 nevegal DH sticke up front hooked up to a Mag30 (heavy beast, but 39mm wide makes it rail corners) and marzocchi 20mm hub. Doesn't get much heavier than that. Made a night and day difference in cornering control. There doesn't seem to be any limit to how fast my corner entry speed is with this.

I have the same nevegal in the rear but at higher pressure. 14f/20r It's always guaranteed to break loose before the front without even hittiing the brake. Makes for a great controlled oversteer for power sliding. Ideal setup for loose offcamber stuff.

I think most of the added weight of the boxxer is in the top tubes, springs and crowns. There isn't much added unsprung weight. Weight doesn't bother me, just makes me stronger. :D

edit: now how about that darn PUSH upgrade they've been teasing us with? Given I have freinds with CNC machine ability, how hard would it be to make a custom shimmed rebound? Motion control dampers are not complex at all.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hamatha said:
I've been riding one for two months on a pack, compliments the bike nicely.
The negatives that bug me the most- kinda divey and wollowy (like all boxxers since day one), U turn winds intself down if not topped out, which pretty much makes the travel adjust usefull for climbing only. The ride can be pretty higgly jiggly as the fork has a funky
tendency to stroke oddly, which can be kinda hard steering straight on some trails, mostly flat rocky stuff. I swear I can feel the legs stroking at different rates in real rough twisty
stuff which I attribute to the one sprung leg set up (maybe I'm just thinking about it too much). You can hear, and feel, the elastomers knocking into each other. Paint chips off easily. 7lbs

Positives- Very very tuneable (compression on the fly, yummy) to suit all kinds of terrain. SIC makes a bolt on stem for the
crown that is rock solid. Rakes the bike out nicely, Definitely better on drops than the frames suspension. At speed the fork shines, the faster and rougher the terrain the more the fork
feels capable of soaking up all kinds of nasties. You can set the fork up with as low as a 21.25" AC. Overall very solid, could be more plush (elastomers ?) very capable.
Elastomers! NO! Not in this fork! :D

Are you sure you have an 06 boxxer? coil and air only.

You can make the travel adjustment stay by adding more springs and balls under the travel adjust knob. You can also take the original ones out, pull the springs a little longer and they should then hold the travel better.

If you have an 06 you can tune out brake dive with the compression. That's what it's there for. Set the high speed to fast and add a little low speed.

·
mtbr member
79 Posts
oh great

SpawningGround said:
Elastomers! NO! Not in this fork! :D

Are you sure you have an 06 boxxer? coil and air only.

You can make the travel adjustment stay by adding more springs and balls under the travel adjust knob. You can also take the original ones out, pull the springs a little longer and they should then hold the travel better.

If you have an 06 you can tune out brake dive with the compression. That's what it's there for. Set the high speed to fast and add a little low speed.
Guy wants information about a product, presumably he's never used, when you give him an informed answer based on actual use he then proceeds to correct you and tell you (the guy with the experience) how the product actually works.
unbeleivable

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hamatha said:
Guy wants information about a product, presumably he's never used, when you give him an informed answer based on actual use he then proceeds to correct you and tell you (the guy with the experience) how the product actually works.
unbeleivable
just because I've never ridden one doesn't mean I have no clue as to how they are made. I have a fork which is aboutthe same thing (pike) just smaller, so I'm aware of how they work.
They have one big coil (metal) spring, and a small negative coil spring near the uturn mechanism. Elastomer is something made of a rubbery substance. As far as I know the boxxer ride does not contain these for use as a spring.

The motion control unit is pretty much an incredibly stiff elastomer. Not really used as a spring and will most def. not be making noises inside the fork other than oil squirting.

Does anyone know what brake caliper standard is used? Looks to be IS mount and not post mount, correct?

·
mtbr member
79 Posts
compression cart is plastic

the elastomer(s) reside inside the spring. One piece attached to the top, one piece attached to the bottom, a gap between the two. As the fork cycles the pieces strike each other, changing the nature of the ride of the fork as they come together and compress. Noisy too.
Makes a very progressive stroke for chump change, the whole spring mech, top cap and all
is only $20. The compression cart feels best fully open, dial in any compression for anything other than sliding down a wall or smooth trails and the ride is harsh, imo. Good if you weigh lots. I don't.

·
Registered
9,989 Posts
SpawningGround said:
I have a fork which is aboutthe same thing (pike) just smaller, so I'm aware of how they work.

They have one big coil (metal) spring, and a small negative coil spring near the uturn mechanism.

Elastomer is something made of a rubbery substance.

As far as I know the boxxer ride does not contain these for use as a spring.

The motion control unit is pretty much an incredibly stiff elastomer. Not really used as a spring and will most def. not be making noises inside the fork other than oil squirting.
Does the boxxer ride use motion control? If so then it does have an elastomer. definately is in the pikes, and rebas.

·
mtbr member
79 Posts
pikes are different

006_007 said:
Does the boxxer ride use motion control? If so then it does have an elastomer. definately is in the pikes, and rebas.
I have a pike 426 on a spot and the compression cart is a dense elastomer like material.
Flood gate is shared with the ride, 6 click compression -ride, versus no click 426
and 05 pike.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hamatha said:
the elastomer(s) reside inside the spring. One piece attached to the top, one piece attached to the bottom, a gap between the two. As the fork cycles the pieces strike each other, changing the nature of the ride of the fork as they come together and compress. Noisy too.
Makes a very progressive stroke for chump change, the whole spring mech, top cap and all
is only $20. The compression cart feels best fully open, dial in any compression for anything other than sliding down a wall or smooth trails and the ride is harsh, imo. Good if you weigh lots. I don't.
Hmm, have you tried greasing the elastomers?

How about the disc mount, what size/type is it?

Thanks! :)

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,852 Posts
006_007 said:
uhhh, isnt the whole floodgate technology that rockshox is successfully using an elastomer with holes cut in the side?

Not bashing the technology, just stating a fact. It is kind of ironic that we are back to elastomers again AND they work! :D
Kind of, but this is the damping system, not the spring system.

There's also a piston in the bottom kind of like the older "pure" or "TPC" dampers.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
Did I read right that the 36 isn't user serviceable? That blows.
Not very user serviceable at all. You can't change the damper oil. Even bike shops can't, must be sent into Fox. LAME!

Leave it to Fox to over engineer everything they make. They get too carried away with making stuff lighter and more complex, which results in special tools, etc to work on.

I've found the new motion control forks are the easiest dampers in the world to change the oil. They drain quick. Not even zoke can claim the level of ease. I hate how zokes always hide a ton of oil even after cycling the fork upside down for an hour straight. I'm also digging the semi bath system. It takes forever to get the damper oil dirty, unlike zokes that lose significant performance in damping as the oil gets nasty.

·
I want that one
1,036 Posts
SpawningGround said:
I figured, hey, what could be better than a longer/stiffer Pike? Not much!
Hey SpawningGround. did you get you get the fork yet? sounds like a great setup, im thinking of something similar my self and am very curious to see pics and reviews. i friend of mine has a boxxer ride on his vpx (went from pike + 5.5) and loves it. it soaks up everything, as you can see...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.