Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone purchase the X.0 Trail brakes and have a few rides on them yet? Thoughts on the performance, power and front/rear rotor size?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I have them, but only have a few rides on them. They seem to work well, but like any brake they need to be broken in properly. I'll try to post a review when I get more time on them - including extended downhills.

·
Registered
9 Posts
+1 very interested to hear a genuine user review. Contemplating these brakes myself and don't have much more to go on besides the initial impressions of the various media reps who participated in the sram trail house weekend in March, nearly 6 months ago...:confused:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
They didn't start showing up to distributors until late June / early July, so not too many people have had them long, if at all. All in all, I like mine. I'm using 180 F / 160 R. I installed them and tried to do the Avid break in as best as possible before using them. I rode to my LBS and shortened the hoses. I had to bleed the rear brake after the hose length change, but the front felt alright so I left it as is. They took many tries with bleeding them before I finally figured out the right procedure. Avid's manuals all show the procedure for the old XO brakes with the bleed port that moved with the pad contact adjuster. The trick to getting a good bleed on these was to remove the lever from the bar in the final step and make sure the bleed port is pointing vertical, and top off the port after the syringe was removed. I am still pulling the levers closer to the bar than I like, but I am used to Juicy 7's and BB7's on other bikes. I was upgrading from Elixer 1's that came on my Superfly 100 AL, and they are considerably better than those. I run them in the 1 finger braking style. The brakes came with the full match maker kit, so they paired well with the X7 shifters. I'd like to try the new Shimano brakes as a comparison, but I'm not looking to replace these anytime soon. If you have any specific questions, fire away.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have had a few runs on mine. I upgraded my XX brakes to these.
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Wheel Bicycle part Spoke

These brakes are very powerful, they are just great. With every ride I love them more. The first things I noticed: they are smoother in operation. Appreciably smoother. So I have more feel, and perhaps I just believe, I have greater precision with that. Note from the picture, I am using old discs.

The other thing I noticed is that they are silent, super quiet. The whole package helps you to concentrate on the ride more I reckon. If you like the words, precise and refined, then these brakes will appeal to you.

I have ridden XX for a long time, CRs before that, some of my friends have recently bought some XTs and XTRs. I have ridden these brakes as well. The XO Trails perform above all of these 2 pot calliper brakes, and so they should. They are pretty special. I’m running only 160/140 and the power is impressive – there’s more power than some 180 disc stuff I have ridden before.

On some of my steeper tracks, I have been able to release the brake and confidently reapply where needed, whereas before that you would drag a bit of brake to keep a check on the speed. Now I can freely go harder and focus on maximum tyre grip under braking and explore new braking zones (you know, the braking opportunity just past that diagonal root, between the rocks or the G out etc), rather than compensating for longer stopping distances with light weight XC brakes. To me, they are a performance upgrade.

With familiarity, I find the modulation to be very good. This was an area that I was worried about, because the XX brakes have excellent modulation. On my first ride, I nearly went over the bars twice, but that was me being tired and from a thoughtless reflex application of the normal amount of brake handle, without thinking of what's new here, not a modulation problem. I woke up, quickly.
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle accessory

The other thing I like is the brake handle. The new bearing system is very good. I wasn’t going to change the handle, but I am glad I did. Great feel and great handle return, very consistent – I didn’t think it would contribute to the overall performance but I think it does. I also like the handle adjuster, very easy to use.

Good luck with your choices here. Rotor sizes are up to you, your style and your terrain. A friend of mine is putting these on his downhill bike, wtih 203mm discs the braking will be off the charts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had mine on for about a week. Here's a quick review that sums them up:

Gobble, gobble, gobble..... and more gobble.

No amount of Isopropyl and sand paper has been able to change anything.

They'll be going back in exchange for some Formula RO's I'm afraid.

·
Registered
533 Posts

Avid's rotors suck if you go with Shimano RT-76 rotors they should eliminate most of your vibration problems, it's also cheaper than getting a new set of brakes.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Avid's rotors suck if you go with Shimano RT-76 rotors they should eliminate most of your vibration problems, it's also cheaper than getting a new set of brakes.
Well, I actually ordered some Alligator rotors a few days ago (before I decided to disown Avid brakes forever). They should be here tomorrow. Maybe I'll give them a shot before I jump ship. ONE shot. No more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rock7, whats the outcome?
Alligator rotors solved the problem.... for about 2 days. SRAM/LBS had me cleaning the rotors and re-bedding "until the noise goes away". Uummm... NOT! I sent the XO's back and got a set of Formula RO's. Wow!! World of difference. I can't say say enough about the Formulas. No noise. Gobs of power. THESE are brakes! I'll never buy anything from Avid again. Ever. Formula tech support is great as well and no LBS required.

R7

·
Registered
63 Posts
zukrider: It's a double piston design with longer pads than any other Avid disc brake. Supposed to decrease wear, noise, etc. But, as with Rock7, I've gotten nothing but turkey gobble.

WilliamK:
I wish I could get your luck. I would love these brakes if it were not for the gobble. I'm contacting Avid for help.

·
Registered
270 Posts
JHC? you talking about the XO's? cause i was asking about the formula's. thanx though, either way.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thanks JHC, I am sorry they didn’t work out for you and for the others here. I find it very perplexing that such frustrating problems have been encountered. I note the passion with which others dislike them already, conversely for me, as they do work, I feel a growing passion for how good they are to me. Now that I have had a bunch of rides on them, I am truly enamoured with them. They are simply the best brakes I have used. Delivering greater power with extra refinement at the same time. Ouch, that is so different from what some of you have experienced – but it is what I have genuinely experienced. By the way, no bleed/pressure issues either and I regularly turn the bike upside down during washing.

Even on my well worn and very second hand discs (front one was straighten by hand in the previous set up), they are still super smooth. No noise and so smooth that it somehow enhances the application feel. Now plenty of people love the power of their new shimano brakes which I too found was an impressive improvement for them, from my own personal experience, these XOs have much more power and definitely have better modulation. So XOs are the go for me. I hope others can have a good run with them to because when they work they are seriously good stoppers. Of course, that is all my own subjective experience but I can only tell you that I have had a positive experience, as I say, it is a shame yours was a negative one.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Will, maybe the rotors are the exception in all of this. Perhaps your well-worn HSX rotors are minimizing resonance. Some think it's the stiff carbon frames, but you clearly don't have issues with yours, and I ride an alum. EMD 9 and sound like Thanksgiving when I ride. Interesting.

Thanks for your detailed post!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You would think the gobble would be gone by now. This has been an avid brake problem since the Juicy series.....solid rotors and lead fishing weights attached to the calipers aren't acceptable fixes either....However they do make outstanding mechanicals that lack the gobble.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts