Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading about the different tube less systems i decited i dont wanna F with it. It seems like a waste of money for something that isint really 100% full proof.

Is there another option to give my self some piece-of-mind while riding.

Im wondering if there is some kind of liner that you can put on the inside of the tire to act like a wall to stop thorns/etc from getting to the tube. If i happen to hit some thorns or the occasional black berry vine i dont want to freak out the rest of the ride hoping i didnt get a puncture.

Or..

Someting else that can be put in the tire maybe some kind of foam that would be able to take hits and keep its shape with out being totally hard and totally deleting the need for air or tubes.

Sry if im talknig out of my a**, just let me know, Thx.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Sorry, but nothing is 100% fool-proof (with the possible exception of solid rubber tires.) UST is the closest you'll get to it. Tire liners are also an option, but not as good as sealant, imo.

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
You -could- go with something like "slime" tubes (tubes with sealant inside, which seal all but the worst punctures)...
The problem with that option is that they do add weight.
If I remember correctly, you can buy them pre-filled with sealant - or you can pick a (preferrably not superlight) tube and put the sealants in yourself.

Tubeless setups, including sealants, will normally weigh a little (not as much as some say, but a little) less than a standard tubed setup.
They do have other advantages - the ability to run lower pressures for example.

To alot of people, weight isnt a massive concern - however, weight in the wheels counts for alot more (rotational mass counts for more than static weight).

If convenience is your primary concern - for simplicities sake, you might find slimetubes to be a better option than tubeless... Just throw them in and they'll last about 6 months to a year before they dry up and you need to replace them.
It doesnt have to be any more complicated than fitting a regular tube if you want ultimate convenience.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
A tubeless system is much better than a tubed system I used to get flats every so often with tubes I went 2 1/2 years with out a flat after I went tubless. I recently got my first flat and it was my fault My tire pressure was super low and I landed a jump with my front wheel sideways. Bead poped off and lost most of the air in my tire.

Just give it a shot. I am going todo a stans set up next.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
PieRow said:
Im wondering if there is some kind of liner that you can put on the inside of the tire to act like a wall to stop thorns/etc from getting to the tube. If i happen to hit some thorns or the occasional black berry vine i dont want to freak out the rest of the ride hoping i didnt get a puncture.
I've used Mr Tuffy strips on a commuter bike with good success. I'm not sure how well they would work with lower pressures for MTBing. I would just go with a full UST system with sealant added for extra insurance.

·
|i|
352 Posts
PieRow said:
Ok, guys. Thx for the ideas and comments. I will take a look tomorrow when i go to the bike shop and see what i can come up with. :)
I've had the same reservations as you about this. I once ran a Bontrager TR on a converted rim and the tire rolled off the wheel. I crashed hardcore on to the pavement.

Since then, I've stuck with using real UST wheels and real UST tires. It's the safest option out there, IMO

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Well nothing is 100% fool proof. Sorry, couldn't resist :D

I'd go with a slime tube for simplicity and reliability over a liner strip, I've used the slime tubes out in desert cactus land and they worked great. I don't fool with tubeless yet either, figure I still gotta carry a tube when something goes wrong anyways and am not unhappy with tubed tires. I've been on several rides with guys where the stans type tubeless conversion setup just plain failed due to sideloads and tubes had to be used after much fussing around; hard to carry more sealant and an air compressor. From what I know it's best just to go UST for the most trouble free tubeless setup...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.