Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a V1 Evil Following and just kind of have an itch to get a new bike. It's the best bike I've ever owned but I'm ready for something new if all the right boxes are checked. It's always been just a hair too small for me. I'm 6'6" and would like something with at least 630mm stack, 29" wheels, and 115-140mm rear travel. I also want something that pedals well—I don't want to ever have to flip a lever to climb trails and no room for a water bottle *inside* the front triangle is a deal breaker.

I'm considering the Santa Cruz Hightower (non-LT), Pivot Switchblade, and Ibis Ripley V4 (in no particular order).

Ruled out:
Pivot 429 Trail - stack too low
Stumpjumper - not a fan of FSR, seems to need the bandaid of a firm shock to climb well
Trek Fuel - stack too low
Yeti SB100/130 - sooo many threads about cracked frames. That and the extra maintenance of the Switch system is enough to turn me off.

Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Ibis Ripley.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I am 6'5" and the XXL Fuel is the best fit of any bike I have ever riden (going on 30 years). Stack is 650. At 6'6" you owe it to yourself to try some proper big bikes. The Fuel is decent. The new version due in a month may be better....

GG have always interested me for TT, Reach, and Stack.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
The Ripley is short. 6'6" might be too small, even in XL. You might need a XXL bike.

·
No Clue Crew
7,087 Posts
I've owned a lot of the bikes mentioned, in XL and I'm 6'2, 34 inseam, +2 ape.

Assuming you have normal limb proportions at your height, I seriously can't imagine any XL bike truly fitting you properly. Except the GG Smash, which I didn't like personally from a suspension standpoint, but it'll be the right size.

You really should demo some XXL stuff just to see.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I've owned a lot of the bikes mentioned, in XL and I'm 6'2, 34 inseam, +2 ape.

Assuming you have normal limb proportions at your height, I seriously can't imagine any XL bike truly fitting you properly. Except the GG Smash, which I didn't like personally from a suspension standpoint, but it'll be the right size.

You really should demo some XXL stuff just to see.
Not to hijack, but what didn't you like about the Smash suspension?

·
Registered
680 Posts
The Guerrilla Gravity stuff would be good for your size.
Revel Bikes Rascal is sweet, but don't know if it'd be big enough for you.

·
Registered
5,999 Posts
My son is 6'2" tall and fits nicely on a Ripmo, if that helps with comparisons to the Ripley.
I am 6'1" and fit nicely on a XL Ripley. At 6'6", it would be very weird. I think I would need a 120mm stem!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts