Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find an eccentric bb for a cannondale BB30 conversion. Anything else out there besides beer components? I know they are good but I would like something cheaper.

·
I want to ride
149 Posts
The team beer eccentric uses Phill Wood bearings. It is well made. I have one on my cannondale and highly recommend it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw that origin 8 is coming out with a bb30 adapter in June just like the beer but I'm sure it's not nearly as nice. I'm not sure how riding I will get in on this cannondale as it's a back up to my niner sir9. Guess I'll keep an eye out for a used beer. Mmmm used beer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Gotta say that for something like this I would save the extra $$ and get the BEER.

Although I have no experience with it, I do have experience dealing with ebb's and when they aren't working right (slipping, creaking, lacking durability, etc) it can be frustrating to the point of wanting a different frame.

Go with quality from the start ...

SPP

·
Did I catch a niner+?
2,957 Posts
I have a BEER on my Cannondale 29er 1, it's a nice piece of hardware. I would spend the money again on this part and would not skimp out just because it's a backup bike, backup bikes are bikes that need to work when the other is down.

I did have a squeak issue but I think some dirt got in the shell area after a really nasty race, it's fixed now after tearing it all down and building it all back up.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If I had to do it all over again (which unfortunately I will likely have to do) I would get the Problem Solvers EBB instead of the Beer. The Beer EBB is a well made component but IMO has a design flaw. The fastening bolts they use are relatively small and the max torque on them I believe is 8nm. The problem with the relatively low torque rating is the Beer EBB is prone to slipping. I tried a number of ways to stop the slipping but at the end of the day I ended up torqueing the bolts well above the max (~ 11nm) and it has not slipped but I believe I may have damaged the bolts / EBB in the process. By comparison the Problem Solvers uses larger fastening bolts with a minimum torque rating of 12nm and a max of 18nm. To be fair I am using the Beer EBB on a Ti frame so that may be contributing to the slippage but I also have a teammate who had a similar issue with his Beer EBB. The Beer EBB has very nice / high quality machining and the bearings have been excellent thus far but given my slippage issue thus far I wouldn't buy another one. I'm not an engineer so I'm not sure this is a valid comparison but in my experience the torque specs on BB and crankset components are usually well above 8nm. You can also find the Problem Solvers EBB on sale for ~ $100 if you do some digging. Just my 2 cents.

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
3,213 Posts
Cusco, I was one of the random people that had problems with NINER EBB I, single bolt EBB. Carbo Grip works. It solved the problem of slippage/creaking so well, that I only took apart to clean yearly. Price, sucks with shipping, but I highly recommend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts