Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Any Opinions on the Mongoose Khyber?

778 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Speedwa 
#1 · (Edited)
I am thinking of buying a Mongoose Khyber and switching the build kit with the one on my Bottlerocket and then selling my Bottlerocket. I am looking for a light weight single crown do it all bike with a little more travel, better braking characteristics and rearward arc. My new Khyber would have a 07 66 rc2x up front with my beefier wheelset, short stem, platform pedals, avid codes. I have played around on the Khyber a little bit and it feels like it would be great after I change the build. It will be ridden in Northern Wa, Whistler, Woodlot etc. Any opinions on this change in bikes? Has anyone converted a Khyber into a light weight downhill bike?

#2 ·
Speedwa said:
better baking characteristics
What? A bike that bakes? Damn, I paid $2800 for an M3 frame and it doesn't even do the dishes, let alone BAKE!

The Khyber uses the same suspension setup as the ECD/Black Diamond bikes, which is well known for its efficiency and widely loved by XCer's and DHer's alike.

The Khyber Super's build is pretty much unbeatable. GREAT parts spec at an unbeatable price. I would leave it as it is personally, but if you do want to change it, here are some things to expect:

Putting the 66 up front, I'm assuming its the 180mm(I really didn't pay any attention to the Marz line last year, whoops), will raise the bar height, bottom bracket height, and effect the head angle.
Slapping the 66 on should lay the HA back from 67degrees to about 66degrees. 66 pretty much on track for a downhill bike.
The stock BB height is 13.7" so raising the front end 20mm may put it right about 14", but thats just a guess, I haven't figured the math for A2C changes effecting the BB.
The wheelbase at 44.25" is a bit short for really fast sections, BUT I raced my Session which sat similar WB wise and I felt really comfortable with that even in the really rocky stuff. Granted the WB will change slightly, maybe .25" (again, I haven't figured the math for wheelbase change yet). The shorter wheelbase should actually be pretty nice for PNW riding, as snaking between trees can be a pain riding a stretched wheelbase.

All in all, you will end up with a bike that should be very comfortable for just about any riding situation. I'd say go for it, pick up a Khyber, but give it a chance with the stock components first. They're all fairly light and quite durable components, leaving no real reason to swap stuff.

-Kevin

#4 ·
Baking Characteristics, classic. If your M3 doesn't do the dishes I would suggest selling it immediately.... to me! Thanks for the input. I was thinking the 66 would be good because the Khyber would be seeing quite a bit of Whistler and Garbonzo and I prefer a 66 degree head angle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.