Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 361 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Did you use the same grease...curious about this because I am debating between the Onyx and Hydras, but I do not want a Hub that is too loud.

Would you say the I9 are louder than dt350(36t)?

Looking forward for a review of the new Onyx.
I use the recommended Dumonde Tech free hub grease. I’ve also tried other greases with similar, if not worse results. Grease certainly quiets it down for a while, but it gets back to annoying levels in short order. Like under 100 miles and it’s fully back to full volume. And It’s not just the volume, which isn’t really that loud per se, but the character of the sound that gets to me. It’s a high pitched whine that my riding buddies have likened to an air raid siren.

I bought into the “grease quiets the Hydras down to almost silent” BS, and now I’m looking to sell them because the sound drives me nuts.

Anyone want to buy a set of Derby 35i 29” carbon hoops laced to boost centerlock xd hydras? They’re in good shape, the sound just pisses me off now that I’m addicted to silent hubs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Serious question out of my own ignorance, but aren't they pretty specific about which grease you should use for quieting them and still getting some longevity?
Yep and I’m using the recommended grease, the dumonde tech stuff. The pawls displace it and no longer run quietly in short order.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yep and I’m using the recommended grease, the dumonde tech stuff. The pawls displace it and no longer run quietly in short order.
I've had similar experiences with my DT-Swss 350's. Clean them up, lube them up with the recommended lube in the recommended quantity and they are nice and quiet -- for 2 rides then they get noisy again.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Test how they roll for us on the stand? Just a back spin test. They need to be broken in a bit first however.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
West Chester, PA
4,932 Posts
And It’s not just the volume, which isn’t really that loud per se, but the character of the sound that gets to me. It’s a high pitched whine that my riding buddies have likened to an air raid siren.
Your comment made me go look for videos. Holy crap, you're right. You could also say it sounds like a screaming baby. The torch has a high pitch too but it's muted by the buzz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFhVy3H5gzg

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Let's keep this thread on track and focused on Onyx....lot's of other threads out there on other hubs.

Nat -- any first ride impressions?

ahkim -- did you get yours yet?

·
Registered
15,736 Posts
Let's keep this thread on track and focused on Onyx....lot's of other threads out there on other hubs.

Nat -- any first ride impressions?

ahkim -- did you get yours yet?
I'm waiting on some new tires to arrive tomorrow then I'll mount up the wheels. I already have a set of wheels with the previous generation of Onyx hubs though, and I wasn't expecting to feel any difference in motion with the new wheels, just lighter weight in-hand. I do LOVE the previous Onyx hubs, hence the second wheelset. Rolling through the woods totally silent is sublime. I would have a hard time going back to the loud RIIIIriiiiiRIIIIriiiii of other freewheels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine arrived yesterday and had a quick question while setting everything up. After installing my GX cassette, I flipped over the wheel and the cassette and XD driver slid off the hub. Are their hubs non-locking? Just want to triple check that I didn't forget a step!
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Calling bullshit on this. I’ve got i9 Hydras and while greasing the pawls silences them for a short period of time, they’re loud AF again within a few miles. They do engage super nicely, I’ll give them that.
Call bullshit if you like. I greased these before leaving for whistler. I rode about 300 miles in the park (with a couple rain days) on this bike and this is currently what they sound like compared to a Torch hub. Maybe you ride within rivers? Or don't know what you're doing? On the trail, you can not hear them freewheel.

https://youtu.be/t12iN0yRQmo

I'm not interested in the Derbys but I'll take those hubs off your hands if you break them down.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
These Vesper hubs look really nice. I'm going to be on the prowl for a deal, hopefully build up a set in the next 18 months. My DT hubs are reliable but loud!

I'm thinking, Vesper rear, DT 350 front with Onyx stickers. There's nothing a $200 front hub can do that a $60 one can't, shrug.

·
Registered
317 Posts
These Vesper hubs look really nice. I'm going to be on the prowl for a deal, hopefully build up a set in the next 18 months. My DT hubs are reliable but loud!

I'm thinking, Vesper rear, DT 350 front with Onyx stickers. There's nothing a $200 front hub can do that a $60 one can't, shrug.
I'm in a similar situation. I've been using DT 350s on my bikes for some time. Love the low cost, reliability, and ease of maintenance; hate the noise.

I've been watching (and waiting) since Onyx first leaked the development of these in September 2017. At one point these were slated to be a less expensive variant of their regular hub, but it looks like that didn't pan out. It looks like they are actually more expensive when the extra cost of ceramic bearings is taken into account (not that I would get them). So I'll be on the lookout for deals as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,736 Posts
Two rides so far. I love the wheels but these Martello tires blow. So slippery. They’re coming off immediately.

·
Registered
15,736 Posts
Mine arrived yesterday and had a quick question while setting everything up. After installing my GX cassette, I flipped over the wheel and the cassette and XD driver slid off the hub. Are their hubs non-locking? Just want to triple check that I didn't forget a step!
Thanks!
Do you mean like this? Mine fell apart too.

068CDB06-2E8C-44DD-9CBD-5E586FFA5C51.jpg

·
Registered
737 Posts
It caught me by surprise when the cassette and everything else fell onto the floor.
Just curious if anyone has talked with Onyx about this yet. Doesn't seem quite right, but I guess with the axle in place and everything clamped in the frame, it might not make a difference. Just curious...

·
Registered
15,736 Posts
Just curious if anyone has talked with Onyx about this yet. Doesn't seem quite right, but I guess with the axle in place and everything clamped in the frame, it might not make a difference. Just curious...
I suppose I should contact them about it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just got my Onyx/Vesper wheels with TR33 rims today and set them up tubeless with new Maxxis DHF/Aggressor rubber.

Took a spin around the block and these wheels rock! Smooooth action and a truly joyful riding experience with the low drag, quiet operation, and instant engagement. Can't wait to take them out on the trails. On a side note, really digging the new Maxxis rubber as well. I can feel the extra traction/confidence even on pavement vs. my Ardents and the rolling resistance really didn't feel that much draggier.

Addressing the concerns above, I think these hubs have pressfit end caps which allows the takedown of the axle and freehub simply by removing the caps. Once mounted in the fork and bike they are rock solid and roll true.

Been waiting for these since the prototype was shown years ago and so far it has been everything I had hoped for! Will try to follow up with a trail report.

·
West Chester, PA
4,932 Posts
Addressing the concerns above, I think these hubs have pressfit end caps which allows the takedown of the axle and freehub simply by removing the caps.
Obviously. But they shouldn't just fall apart. Maybe there are O rings missing and it's a very simple fix. If not, that's garbage. You're supposed to worry about your hub internals falling into the dirt if you have to remove your wheel on the trail to insert a tube?

21 - 40 of 361 Posts