Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 435 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says -- has anyone received and ridden the new Onyx Vesper rear hub? any reviews anywhere?

Onyx is being really quiet and the only info is from NOBL.

·
Registered
18,806 Posts
From my email: "orders will start shipping to us the first week of June. We have them set to ship out express in order to get them as soon as we can."

It should be any day now. I'm all excited.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I called them last week. Long story short, the hubs aren't out yet. They ran into manufacturing delays. Shooting for end of June now I believe.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Whoa, really? I'd like to hear more. Is that something that requires maintenance to keep quiet?
I just put them on my DH bike (after running multiple sets of torch's over the years). So far I only have one super dusty park day on it and it's still dead quiet. I literally used a tiny dab of grease. I'm headed to Whistler next week where I'll get a better idea of how long it lasts. I'm going to add some to the Torch's on my trail bike to see the difference as well. So far I'm super impressed. The Hydras without the grease are definitely more quiet than Torch's even and the engagement difference is very noticeable.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Really glad I went Hydras vs. waiting - I've been riding them for a month, they're lighter, and the sound level and engagement are great. I haven't taken the step to grease them yet - I don't like the angry bee thing and found Torches pretty obnoxious, the Hydras are much less intrusive.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Really glad I went Hydras vs. waiting - I've been riding them for a month, they're lighter, and the sound level and engagement are great. I haven't taken the step to grease them yet - I don't like the angry bee thing and found Torches pretty obnoxious, the Hydras are much less intrusive.
I just saw this and it's pretty incredible what a bit of grease does to quiet it down. Watch at 1:58.

I'm going to talk with my shop to see how long Onyx is delayed. I like that I don't have to do anything with grease to get them to be quiet.

·
Registered
18,806 Posts
It came in a nice box:

Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport

With some nice packaging:

Paper product Paper

There were some spare spokes, several stickers, and a T-shirt (the shirt went into the washing machine before I took a picture):

Plastic Packing materials Banknote Paper Label

I ordered black chrome powdercoat finish. This looks like matte black to me but it looks sweet anyway.

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle part Spoke Bicycle accessory

Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Spoke Bicycle part Rim

They came with valves installed. I like the little NOBL crown:

Glass Bottle Tool Tool accessory Bicycle accessory

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire

I'm waiting on some new Vittoria tires to arrive at before I mount everything up. I was originally planning to run a set of slightly-worn Maxxis tread that I already have but then I decided I just can't install old, dirty rubber on clean, new wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
The new I9's with a tiny bit of Dumonde Tech Pro X grease are nearly dead quiet (Cannot hear them on the trail at all), and the engagement feels instant. Identical to Onyx. Big difference from Torch's IMO.
Calling bullshit on this. I've got i9 Hydras and while greasing the pawls silences them for a short period of time, they're loud AF again within a few miles. They do engage super nicely, I'll give them that.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Calling bullshit on this. I've got i9 Hydras and while greasing the pawls silences them for a short period of time, they're loud AF again within a few miles. They do engage super nicely, I'll give them that.
Serious question out of my own ignorance, but aren't they pretty specific about which grease you should use for quieting them and still getting some longevity?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Did you use the same grease...curious about this because I am debating between the Onyx and Hydras, but I do not want a Hub that is too loud.

Would you say the I9 are louder than dt350(36t)?

Looking forward for a review of the new Onyx.

1 - 20 of 435 Posts