Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
jrm said:
Any feedback would be appreciated...thanks
I've been using the AVA Pro Pedal shock on my 5 Spot. I like it a lot. I used to ride an XCE with a Romic so I have a fairly good reference point. I also posted a short review on sticky 5 spot database thread.

In general, the AVA feels just as good as the Romic on medium to large hits. The Romic does better over high frequency small stuff; things like washboard trails. The added adjustability of an air shock is really nice. You can really customize the feel by playing with the air pressure and AVA sleeve. You do have to remove all the air to adjust the AVA sleeve though. By opening up the AVA all the way and lowering the pressure, you can almost mimic the feel of the Romic. I personally am running about 15 lbs less than my weight and the AVA sleeve fully open. For a plusher ride, I run about 20-25 lbs less than my weight.

I initially chose the air shock because I wanted the DHX and they weren't available yet. Although I never had problems with my Romic, all the posts about failures scared me. The Fox shock seems to have a very solid track record. I also liked the idea of having both an air and a coil shock. Well I've liked the air shock so much, I haven't really thought about getting the coil. Plus it seems like the DHX has some fit issues with the Turner anyway.

--
Don

·
Registered
999 Posts
jrm said:
I have been using the Fox AVA propedal.

Some thoughts . . .Overall, I have been very impressed with this shock. I also have a Romic which is a great rear shock. I was reluctant at first to get an AVA, but I was able to buy one at a really good price.

The AVA really moves through the travel - nice responsiveness to the terrain. The AVA is not quite as "buttery smooth as the Romic. The AVA is very light - slightly changed the way the biked handled in tight singletrack - the bike seemed to be a little quicker. The AVA is also easy to adjust. Overall, the AVA has been a great performing shock.

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
I've also been on the AVA since getting my Spot. I got both the Romic and Ava - Decided to try the AVA first and had been on my bike since. I’ll eventually mount the Romic to test the difference, but thus far I’ve been quite pleased with the performance of the AVA. I’m only 145lbs, so I have to run pretty low pressure to get full travel – Like don_o, I also run the sleeve fully open.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys..

jrm said:
My main concern was whether i could run the AVA withe sleeve all the way. Thinking that otherwise would be a waist. About to pull the trigger and appreciate the feedback.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts