Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there were threads awhile ago about the On ONE Mary where people inverted them. I tried it myself but wasn't sure how to make it work with my stem. These have been out for a good while now and I wondered

1 if anyone has ridden them upside down long term and

2. What did you do with your stem to keep them that way. i.e. did you put a higher rise or shorter stem or what. Any Pics would rock.

Brandon

·
Registered
376 Posts
Nothing....

I have them upside down on my 29er and normal on my 26er.
It depends on the position you want to get.
Since you can forget the road-like position with the hands around the stem (too narrow), you just have to focus on your preferred position.
If you use them upside-up and twist them to obtain a certain angle with the horizontal, it will result in a shorter seat to bar distance and higher hand position than if you use them upside down.
Does it make sense ?
In short, using them upside down is equivalent to having a longer, lower stem.
If you want a shorter higher cockpit, use them upside-up.
If you want a longer lower cockpit, use them upside-down....
or buy another stem.
Eric

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I do, on my Fisher Paragon ~2005. I do run 2cm of spacers under the positive rise 100mm stem. I would have used a shorter stem had I not run 195mm cranks on this bike. (this also helps make the flipped Mary not end up TOO low)
Having 1.5" rise, the Mary drops 3" when flipped.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
BrandonNorCal said:
1. if anyone has ridden them upside down long term and

2. What did you do with your stem to keep them that way. i.e. did you put a higher rise or shorter stem or what. Any Pics would rock.

Brandon
I dont run the mary but i do run my FU Bar inverted. same premise for the purpose of your inquire.

let me first say that inverting the bars was about achieving the fit and comfort that i was looking for at that particular time - meaning inverting the bars WAS my adjustment, i didnt require additional adjustments to achieve inverted-ness (if you catch my drift).

on complete bikes or demos, i have had people that prefer the traditional look/feel of un-inverted bars, depending on the rider i have compensated for the rise of the bars by inverting the stem, tilting the bars or reducing headset spacers (as a last resort).

unless you are having some big time issues keep messing with them...you'll find the sweet spot.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Nope, not running the Mary inverted. Made the switch to Midge and haven't looked back. Though not as bad as flat bars, Mary still puts pressure on my ulnar nerves and that's bad news.

That said, inverted would have been my preferred mode even if grip height wasn't an issue. On flatter sections I like to move my hands around to prevent numbness, and inverted makes the "inside" positions work way better than "right side up".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts