Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched some of the unveiling today and it looks really cool. So will we be dumping smart phones for the Ipad or is it just going to be fad? I am interested in it for newspapers, magazines and text books now that I'm looking at gong back to school.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Back in my day

pulser said:
Watched some of the unveiling today and it looks really cool. So will we be dumping smart phones for the Ipad or is it just going to be fad? I am interested in it for newspapers, magazines and text books now that I'm looking at gong back to school.
We called that a laptop computer. And the smart phones were going to replace them.

Uses for the iPad/Kindle:

Replaces books/textbooks
Will be used by hip marketing and architecual professionals to look hip.
Allows Apple (hardware company) to compete with Dell (hardware company) at a similar price of entry point.

It's cool looking. I don't know if it's a fad or not.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ken in KC said:
We called that a laptop computer. And the smart phones were going to replace them.

Uses for the iPad/Kindle:

Replaces books/textbooks
Will be used by hip marketing and architecual professionals to look hip.
Allows Apple (hardware company) to compete with Dell (hardware company) at a similar price of entry point.

It's cool looking. I don't know if it's a fad or not.
True but its looking like the laptop is replacing the desktop. Its just not cool to carry your laptop around any more. seriously I think the Ipad might have the ability to be really cool. But I wonder how long it will be before schools ban them?

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
pulser said:
True but its looking like the laptop is replacing the desktop. Its just not cool to carry your laptop around any more. seriously I think the Ipad might have the ability to be really cool. But I wonder how long it will be before schools ban them?
No way will the laptop ever replace the desktop...

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Restoman said:
Why would you dump your phone for the iPad? it's not a phone. The 3g plan is for data if you don't have wifi access. It's not a phone or core computer replacement.
I'm trying to figure out the point of it. Its not a phone and its too big to really carry around with you. Other then replacing books. Its kind of pointless. Doesn't every one by laptops now anyway? If I go back to school I can see buying one so it can replace all the heavy books or using it watch video on a plane or something like that.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
this type of product has already been around for a while. now that apple says it's cool, they should be more prevalent.

·
IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
730 Posts
just the name reminds me of 2 things,

1) how is a bostonian gonna tell the difference between the ipad and the ipod, they pronounce them the same

2) girls need a ipad for their iperiod

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
DriveByBikeShooting said:
just the name reminds me of 2 things,

1) how is a bostonian gonna tell the difference between the ipad and the ipod, they pronounce them the same

2) girls need a ipad for their iperiod
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Rad!

·
Disgruntled Peccary
3,180 Posts
Nope, works on any wifi.

This thing doesn't even appear to have a niche market it would appear. I love my iphone, but think this thing will be another newton. We'll see though, I hate marketing.. so I know very little about it.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Don't hold your breath...

commo_soulja said:
bleh... Looks promising but missing some key features. I'll wait for v 2.0
Key features like a camera? Won't happen. Apple has a piece of hardware for that: An iPhone

Like photo editing? Won't happen. Apple has a piece of hardware for that: A computer.

Flash? No one really knows what Apple and Adobe's beef with each other is, but it's obviously not resolved. If they haven't figured it out yet (years after the iPhone release), they're unlikely to figure it out with the launch of the iPad. No Flash on the device.

This is a content consumption device, not a content creation device. It's much more like a big iPhone than it is a laptop.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.