Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
You could certainly get arrested for a DUI while riding an ebike, but not for using an ebike. Which is what the OP asked. Using an ebike isn't an arrestable offense that I know of. Ticketable in certain situations, sure, but they're not going to cuff you and haul you off.

·
Cat Herder
4,730 Posts
You certainly can be arrested for riding an e-bike but you can be arrested for riding a bicycle as well. Virtually any instance of a ticket able offence could result in being detained as a citation is only a promise to appear. If there is reason to believe that you will not appear, arrest is the next step in potential actions. This goes for all for forms of transportation on public lands and right of ways.

·
E-Moderator
1,021 Posts
And that would depend on what state you live in. According to peopleforbikes, 22 states now classify low powered electric motorized bikes as ebikes (electric bicycle) and no longer motorized.
Additional notes:
THREE CLASS E-BIKE MODEL:
» CLASS 1: Bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the e-bike reaches 20mph.
» CLASS 2: Bicycle equipped with a throttle-actuated motor, that ceases to provide assistance when the e-bike reaches 20mph.
» CLASS 3: Bicycle equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling, and that ceases to provide assistance when the e-bike reaches 28mph.
In the interest of safety, local governments would be allowed to restrict, regulate or prohibit the use of e-bikes in their parks, on paths and on trails. In the absence of local ordinances, Class 1 and Class 2 e-bikes would be allowed on paths and trails; while Class 3 e-bikes would only be allowed on roadways. The e-bike class model also allows local agencies to permit e-bikes on paths or bikeways where they are traditionally not allowed, in the event that the alternative route is considered hazardous. This is a local jurisdictional decision.

The laws are changing fast, as well as where you can emtb and not. But it seems every month new places are opening trails to emtbs:cool: some recent examples of more opened trails: WY, AZ, many bike parks, Lake Tahoe, etc....

·
Registered
477 Posts
Nobody around here even knows what an ebike is other the guys on them as well. Gotta catch you first even if they wanted to get you. I've done fair share of running back when moto xs were all I had for transpo before I could drive. It created great memories for life, even on the day I got caught. Don't regret it for a second.

·
Cycologist
10,324 Posts
Any good lawyer would get you off by successfully arguing that an e-bike is an inline motorized wheelchair.
Hey now, the ebikers are highly sensitive about them being referred to as mopeds or electric motor bikes, and now you're suggesting they'd be ok with their ebikes being referred to as motorized wheelchairs? :)

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
And that would depend on what state you live in. According to peopleforbikes, 22 states now classify low powered electric motorized bikes as ebikes (electric bicycle) and no longer motorized.
The Class 1-3 laws redefine low powered motorized bicycles as not being a Motor Vehicle, they are still motorized. Which presents problems for jurisdictions like my city where they wanted to allow ebikes on bike paths, but couldn't because motorized anything isn't allowed. They had to rewrite the code to specifically allow them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.