Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Grip it and rip it.
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a piercing below my bottom lip, wondering if it was a stupid idea since i ride mountain bikes often in muddy conditions too. Suppose i could put a plaster over it when i go riding. Anyone have any problems with piercings ripping out when they crash or getting stuck in a tree or something? :eek: :) :D

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Damitletsride! said:
I just got a piercing below my bottom lip, wondering if it was a stupid idea since i ride mountain bikes often in muddy conditions too. [snip]
no, it's a stupid idea because it will erode the enamel on your teeth.

but, if that's what rocks your boat...

rt

·
Banned
6,678 Posts
Damitletsride! said:
I just got a piercing below my bottom lip, wondering if it was a stupid idea since i ride mountain bikes often in muddy conditions too. Suppose i could put a plaster over it when i go riding. Anyone have any problems with piercings ripping out when they crash or getting stuck in a tree or something? :eek: :) :D
my little kid has a nose ring that she removes whenever she rides...she tells me that she has seen too many accidents (shes a park warden)

good luck

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
Damitletsride! said:
I just got a piercing below my bottom lip
I could never get past the image of knocking out my bottom teeth, then having to explain to people how it was my own dumb fault for sticking a stud in there.

Plus it;s a pain to shave.

I took mine out years ago. You can't even see the dot anymore.

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
*rt* said:
no, it's a stupid idea because it will erode the enamel on your teeth.
Wow, that's interesting. And all this time I thought body piercings were stupid just because they showed the depths of self-mutilation people would go to just to be "cool".

·
Registered
75 Posts
rapwithtom said:
Wow, that's interesting. And all this time I thought body piercings were stupid just because they showed the depths of self-mutilation people would go to just to be "cool".
Yeah, let's turn this thread into a body-mod bashing-fest :rolleyes:

To answer the question, you could just put a stud in it when you ride. I put a bar in my eyebrow (when I had it) so that it wouldn't catch on stuff.

·
Registered
122 Posts
rapwithtom said:
Not necessarily. As a hundred others will no doubt inform you (as soon as the school bells ring) "it's about self-expression!". Which is close, but self-absorbtion is closer. What's interesting is asking these gullible kids what they think they're expressing. It's a bit of metal jammed in a hole in your lip, not some new paradigm-busting philosophical treatise. And unless you're in a fricking tribe, bozos, it's not tribal, it's poser.

Marketing always needs something to sell to the biggest spending demographic. Selling an image takes a concerted effort, but is usually worth it. Note the big (yet largely unsuccessful) push of "80's" kitsch over the last few years. This was supposed to replace the post-grunge doldrums... What are all these impressionabe mini-consumers going to do with all these tatoos & piercings? Who cares!

Pushing crap. Great.

·
Yummy
1,262 Posts
lidarman said:
This person is the coolest!
Hey, anyone who brings their own plate is always welcome for dinner!

Kn.

·
Registered
101 Posts
not a facial piercing....

Damitletsride! said:
Got one of my nipple rings almost ripped out on a ride once...flipped over the handlebars and the ball fell out and rolled somewhere...ring was still in but i bruised the hell out of my nipple and had to get a replacement ball. I was tempted to put tape on them next ride, but.....
After 5 yrs of riding that's only happened once.

I don't know...anything could happen at anytime so I guess it depends how confident you are that it won't get ripped out if you fall.

-ctk

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
generally

Human flesh is pretty strong. I'd be less worried about yanking the ring out than what you are riding into on the trail.
Just watch out for the branch the rider in front of you just let go of as he passed it. Saaawing, slap.

I've got pretty big sized circular barbells in my ears and out of 20,000 miles I vaguely remember getting hooked up like a marlin once but, the branch broke and my ear did not tear.

·
Harrumph
1,598 Posts
I had a Ti hoop in my lower lip for a while. In the back of my head I was worried about it getting caught or taking my teeth out. But I inevitably forgot about it and carried on with life as normal (or as normally abnormal as my life is). In my experience (my actual metal in lip experience) anything that hurt the piercing was going to hurt anyway. I certainly ended up crashing on my face a few times and if the piercing is pretty new all you really have to worry about is cleaning it out really well, I bought Listerine by the gallon. The chances of a stick or something snagging it are pretty slim, and I'd be more worried about that potential object getting an eye or something. Same thing with it damaging teeth. If you are that worried about it you should be wearing a mouth guard, because again anything causing the piercing to get your teeth was going to get them anyway.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Albee said:
Well, those tongue piercing are supposed to be good for, uh, oral pleasure. Never been the recipient of such pleasure, much to my unpierced wife's pleasure....
Lucky for you...it's a myth.

Technique is what makes a difference, not whether there is a barbell in the pleasurator!

Wow, this kinda applies to mountain biking too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.