Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya'll, just wondering here, over some Bourbon during the wee hours of the night if any of you have your local test trails. besides up and down the driveway or block. What i mean by this would be some trail down the street you can ride to test out your new installation, adjustment, or gears?

I just finished my FS build that took longer than expected.
So my first ride out two weeks ago on a local easy trail with some decent uphill, downhill & switchbacks didn't turn out the way i expected.
on the work stand, all is good, gears change smooth, brakes working well. (Rode up and down street). On the trail that day, mid way into trail, gears began to rub,rough shifting, and worst part, on decent right before hitting the swithbacks, my rear disc brakes gave out. Grab the brake lever all the way and didn't slow down at all. made down the hill, readjusted the bolt but gears are all still off.
This weekend I checked all gear and all seems good to go and added new stem and flat bars.

So just wondering if you guys have your local trail to test out your readjustments etc before hitting a longer more techy trail?

:thumbsup: sorry to bore you with such a long write up but all inputs are appreciated. thanks.

·
The White Jeff W
5,692 Posts
The local singletrack is about 3 miles from the house but there's a patch of woods a few blocks away with some quad trails where Ill sometimes go for a quick shakedown after some tuning or repairs. Most of it is too steep to ride on a bike but there's enough there to give me an idea of how things are working.

·
The Original Suspect
2,383 Posts
Not really. Most trails by me are just out of reach for a quick shake down. I've got my bag-o-tools I bring with me to the trail for those quick fixes though.

·
Papa T
273 Posts
I always plan on a solo maiden voyage of a new build or new drive train update being wonky. I almost always have to stop once or twice for derail. adjustment or shock adjustment.

·
I like pie.
585 Posts
I am fortunate to have a mellow section of single track 100 yds from my back door. But in practice I will do my testing and adjusting on the street in front of my house.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the inputs fellas, Ya the usual good trails with single track are usually a few driving miles away. and since I'm on a new build( my first build) i wondered if it is a waste to be test riding my local trail. I guess and testing and shakedown shouldn't be considered a waste if it leads into the nicer trails…ah

thanks guys for your time….pls con't to chime in…I'm a sponge when it come to your guys knowledge on here….:thumbsup:

·
gravity fighter
547 Posts
Yup, I've 3mi of semi tech single track and miles of steep logging road minutes from my garage. I think it's smart to go for fun shakedown rides every so often. I'll get the occasional hiker/rider asking if I'm broken down while I'm trail wrenching :)

I think it's more effective to tweek suspension and fit adjustments in the wild. What feels right on your driveway usually is all wrong for real riding.

So test away!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I basically have exactly what you are describing. I'm 20 min drive to various singletrack spots and 40-60 mins to some really nice stuff but I have a small section of trails right behind my house that I do just that. There is a long county park that runs a few miles that has bike paths but there is one part that is probably 1/3 to a 1/2 mile that is dirt singletrack where I can test out parts etc. It even has one spot to bomb down a small hill and a rooty section. Pretty convenient, though it would be really awesome to just leave my house and just get right onto a nice trail

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lucky for our little shakedown spots right fellas. It was round two yesterday for my shakedown and my oh my luckily i did. Chain slipping off, brakes failed at the same single track dh spot , and almost lost my sram powerlink when fixing the chain drop....So this test run dawned on me that it's very important to carry a spare powerlink...:thumbsup: luckily i was able to find it.

I think it's more effective to tweek suspension and fit adjustments in the wild. What feels right on your driveway usually is all wrong for real riding.

So test away!
:thumbsup: i agree, nothing compares to even 1000yard of rockgarden or singletrack for testing. I figure car company have their test tracks, so do we....:cool:

It even has one spot to bomb down a small hill and a rooty section. Pretty convenient, though it would be really awesome to just leave my house and just get right onto a nice trail
Same here....lol. and man, I too wished I had a dirt track behind my house to just ride into. I do but sadly it's closed off for only city maintenance workers ...:nono:

·
Delirious Tuck
2,470 Posts
Where you ride the most is best to test.

I have two local riding areas where I'm comfortable testing and refining gear. I have different sections to test out shifting, alignment, most importantly shock settings.

Most shifting you can get 99% of the way there in the stand, some things bodyweight+torque can test for.

Riding with others during these rides is best only with good friends who know bike stuff and will also have something to tweak too.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,120 Posts
I scale up my shakedown rides. If it passes the nose-wheelie-at-the-end-of-the-driveway test, followed by the does-it-shift-right test, I venture a bit farther. I don't do a lot of suspension testing, but that must be done in the wild, as must tire pressure, saddle position, stem height... then I have an easy 10 mile trail 2-1/2 miles from the house. After that, I do a long road or path ride to assure that the cockpit is dialed. Then I'm confident to tackle whatever.

-F

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I have some farm fields with double track ridge roads right off my property that I can take some short rides on. Ive never thought of it as test riding but more escaping for 20 or 30 minutes

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I have one is the nicest technical trails in my general area down the street from my house, but it's not really a place I'll go to test out a new ride. I'll usually take the bike around the block, jumping curbs and trash cans, and bang it around to make sure she's good lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I've got a 15 mile XC loop (that leads to lots of other trails as well as the local brewery) built by me and few friends that I can access less than 100' from my garage. Also got a pumptrack in the yard and another that we're building 2 miles down the road (or I can get to it by way of a few miles of singletrack), and a nice little shuttle run about 5 minutes away. We've been pretty busy the last 10 years or so around here. ;) No shortage of testing options.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Lake Hodges here in SD. I live right next to it. I have my hour long circuit I ride not only to test adjustments but to see where I am at fitness wise.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've got a 15 mile XC loop (that leads to lots of other trails as well as the local brewery) built by me and few friends that I can access less than 100' from my garage. Also got a pumptrack in the yard and another that we're building 2 miles down the road (or I can get to it by way of a few miles of singletrack), and a nice little shuttle run about 5 minutes away. We've been pretty busy the last 10 years or so around here. ;) No shortage of testing options.
:thumbsup: +1 on the brewery. sounds like an awesome piece of land my friend. Same here my shakedown spot leads into Crystal cove and few other more techy trails. But unfortunately, the past two test rides sent me back to the garage within the hour scratching my melon figuring out why things went wrong. haha.

I live right next to it. I have my hour long circuit I ride not only to test adjustments but to see where I am at fitness wise.
same here on the fitness part...Time that took for the build process, i think my fitness level and technique dropped a bit. So getting back into my climbing tech and switchbacks etc on this new frame.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts