Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In CO there has been so much snow its been hard to get out on the road. I've been playing ice hockey & skate skiing, with 1-2 spin classes during the week and of course skiing at the area when the snow is good. I don't think area skiing is particularly good cross training for cycling but its fun. However the other sports are good workouts, though high intensity & not really base building type training. Does anybody else cross-train, either out of choice or necessity?

·
I'm a unitard!
1,514 Posts
I'm suffering from the Denver winter too. If I hear one more person tell me, "get used to it, it's Colorado," they will suffer my wrath. That is a different thread.

I'm just doing my usual mega trainer time and skate skiing. In a normal winter, I can usually get in a day of skate skiing and a long road ride on the weekend. This year I've been doing 2 days of skate skiing. It's not exactly low intensity, so I guess I'll see how that pans out in a couple of months.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Embrace the snow!

jimmy said:
and of course skiing at the area when the snow is good. I don't think area skiing is particularly good cross training for cycling but its fun.
Quit forking over your money to the ski areas and invest it in some alpine touring gear plus a few avalanche safety courses. It's the best base training possible in a good snow year, doesn't feel like "training", virtually every run is an unmarked powder run (if 'ya know where to go), and there is nothing like it to keep the metabolism going wild for a few days afterwards.
My apologies to the people who like snowshoeing but it's what skiers are forced to do when they die and spend eternity in hell.
I have a full quiver of snow toys (XC, skate, light-touring, mid-fat, powder skis, snowboard, and snowshoes) and the fat skis get worked over more than all the other toys combined.

Have fun,
Dave

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Outdoor aerobic activities are limited to running and skate skiing. Usually skate ski Saturday and Sunday and get about 3-5 hours in altogether. I got a groomed trail system about 20 minutes from the house, so I'm loving it!!!

Backcountry skiing has been undesirable due to lack of snow in the Ogden, Utah area. Lots of brush showing. I'm a splitboarder so it really sucks to deal with the brush. We don't have the 100+ inch base we had last year. The Cottonwoods (SLC) have lots of snow but it's a bit of a drive from where I'm at.

Also doing some skate skiing in the evening with a headlamp after work once a week, if temperatures permit. Temps have been brutally cold as of late.

Riding the rollers, but not much. It's nice to be away from it. Gonna try to do two hours tonight. See how it goes.

My wife and I motivate each other, so that helps. She's moving up to Sport and me to Expert, so this will help us get ready.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hit the back country, as calgarydave said. I question whether it's training based on how much fun you have. When I first got into racing I did the beg. class and then sport, but my progress seemed to stop after a bit. I have always snowboarded at a resort daily in the winter, but when I started to hit the back country about ten years ago everything changed. I came out of the winter as fit as ever and haven't given it up since. Sometimes I think I am riding my bike to train for the back country. It helps train diff. muscles that aren't used on the bike, and it helps to avoid burn out. Embrace the winter months. Snow coverage and skinning through the mtns. in silence are some of the coolest things I have ever experienced, Good Luck:thumbsup:

·
Registered
225 Posts
well, living in california i dont have the snow to deal with, and when i did live in colorado, i didnt like the snow... however, in addition to cycling i also practice martial arts and do a little boxing, both exellent and very fun workouts.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
fanghasyou said:
Getting back into the pick up basketball games.
I think I am going to start on Sunday to get into playing shape for my HS Alumni Tourney. I worry about twisted ankles and such but I don't play that hard so should be ok:cool:

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm running a lot, and sitting on the trainer and get to ride outside about 2 days a week if I am lucky. I thought about playing for a local indoor lacrosse team but its been almost 3 years since I have touched a stick and I was the skinny kid on the team even back then (5'11 160, now 5'11 135 in the off season).

Oh yeah... I have been attempting to perfect the sport of drinking as well.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I tried a bit of shinny Hockey but I find I'm not a good team player(try passing the puck you freaking loser!) so I'm just jogging and I plan on getting in the pool soon to see if I can improve enough to try an XTERRA or sprint distance Triathlon.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Nordic and BC skiing for me. Great way to keep in shape. I guess some people like slow shoeing/holing; it's a good workout and all that but that doesn't mean it's any fun ;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
jeffscott said:
Curling ???
Ya Curling. Drink and throw rocks at your opponents house. :D
And after the game, or each end, you drink with and to your opponents.:thumbsup:
Better than 'Hard Liqour n Handgun night' by a long shot.:)

Stosh (Canada)

Normally I XC ski, snowshoe, run or roadride on the MTN bike during the white months. Its cool seeing the same riding trails from a different perspective.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have taken up Disc Golf. It allows you to use different muscles and increases flexibility and allows you to hike around for a while. Although I do ride both mountain and road all winter in Oregon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.